Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23 2009, 12:45 PM   #481
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

By the way Tyrol explained his 'Land of Solitude', I immediately thought of Scotland.

So does that mean he is an ancient ancestor of Scotty?
It would make for a nice nod to Trek since we also had Simon quoting 'Star Wars' - "I think you overestimate their chances".

Nice one
Old March 23 2009, 12:56 PM   #482
Skywalker
Admiral

Galen couldn't have been the ancestor of anyone. He specifically said that there were no people where he was going.
Old March 23 2009, 01:15 PM   #483
Sagart
Fleet Captain

OK, you do know I was joking?
And who's to say he doesn't meet up with some people later on? Or perhaps he invented monasticism? Maybe he invented golf?

Last edited by Sagart; March 23 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old March 23 2009, 04:48 PM   #484
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

I waited a few days before posting to think about the finale and the series as a whole. Wow. I really thought the finale was great, both from a storytelling sense - I like the way they had the action climax in the first half (which was a great battle) and had the quieter final coda in the second hour - and from the way if fit into the entire series. I never agreed with the spirituality and anti-technological bent of the show (see, you can disagree with something and still enjoy it) but I thought they brought the story nicely to its conclusion. I find the whole tale, especially the ending, somewhat Hegelian, with the idea of a "World Spirit", moving history and civilization towords its destiny, the end of history, including the idea of eternal recurrence, and the possibility of breaking that recurrence. The unexplained elements - good, leave some things to the imagination of the viewer. That is what art is supposed to do. I was jacked that I correctly guessed they would find this earth, and settle there. The finale managed to be touching, exciting, thought provoking and maddening all at once. Pretty good for TV. A couple of things cut me up - Cavil, looking up at the 5 standing around Anders, and saying "Ah, two civilizations are waiting for you". Starbuck saying to Lee "Today is the first day of the rest of your life", a ubiquitous saying popular around the time of the original BSG in the 70s - Ron Moore getting his head in the show, and the height difference between Callis and Helfer. As for the people bad mouthing the show and the finale, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I am just curious to know what you are comparing the show to - Two and a half Men? CSI:Peroia? America's Next Top Model? Where on TV, outside of some premium channel series, did you find a show as interesting and thought provoking as this, or even close? Makes me think that some people just disparage for the hell of it. Anyway, just want to say:

BRAVO, RON MOORE. BRAVO.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
Old March 23 2009, 05:13 PM   #485
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Interesting. The poll currently sits at about 85 per cent "fresh," which makes this the most highly-rated series finale that I can remember.

Does anyone have any links to similar polls for the Voyager and Enterprise finales?
Old March 23 2009, 05:35 PM   #486
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^I was only able to find two finales, but the combining of the top two ratings on their scales are:
Jericho- 94.64 (though it admittedly had a very small number of voters)
Atlantis- 76.76

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 23 2009, 07:22 PM   #487
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Excellent

My measure of Galactica goes something like this:

Did the episode have me on the edge of my seat? Check

Did it kick the shit out of me, emotionally? Check

Was there a serious WTF moment? Check

I wasn't wild about the '150,000 years later' coda, but it was sufficiently cheeky that I was willing to let it slide. Part of me wishes that the show ended with 'Revelations,' but the ending we did get was touching and heartfelt. I cried. A lot.

But now the show has ended, and I am quite glad for it. RDM took Galactica out with a bang.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old March 23 2009, 07:41 PM   #488
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Ok, the excitement and emotion has died down a bit in me and I've had a change to reflect and to change my rating. I'm reducing it from Excellent down to Above Average.

There are a couple of basic reasons for that.

1) The whole God and angels things. I was ok with that at first. But, too much of the resolution rode on that. The characters' own ingenuity and determination should've led to them finding a habitable planet. Not an answer from God or an angel. And, head Six and head Baltar's entire purpose was to get Baltar and Caprica to make sure Hera stayed safe? Er, no, they (mostly head Six) had a lot more influence earlier on. That clearly, too clearly, wasn't the initial intent. The Opera house vision, must've been from the angels because that involved Baltar and Six, was a waste of time. Not very satisfying. All in all, the god/angel plot detracted.

2) The primitive humans on our Earth did not need any help! So, god's plan was messed up. Here's the rationale. Doc Cottle said that the colonial DNA was just like the primitive humans. So, those 2 groups were the same species. No advantage for interbreeding. The Cylons were indistinguishable from the Colonials. The humans of our Earth today are indistinguishable form both the Colonials and the skinjobs/final five. So, what exactly did Hera do? Nothing! If the Colonials hadn't shown up, the primitive humans would've evolved just as they actually did in our real history and produce us today.

So, the 2 big criticisms I have are related. BSG mainly takes place in a cold hostile universe where survival is tough. Then, the finale puts on these high falutin airs where god/angels are involved and the Colonials/Hera/Cylons somehow evolve the primitive humans and that's crucial. That really wasn't true to the show's premise.

It would've been better if they had just survived through their own determiniation and stubborness.

Mr Awe
Old March 23 2009, 07:48 PM   #489
cbspock
Rear Admiral

What if RDM managed to get Avery Brooks to do a cameo as "Benny" instead of showing up at the end himself. I guess the Paramount lawyers wouldn't have liked that too much though. Although he wouldn't have to speak, etc.

-Chris
Old March 23 2009, 07:51 PM   #490
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

^^Well, they did, if you think about it. Adama decided to attack and get the kid back, and the battle could have gone either way. And I don't think its very clear that Kara, H-Six and H-Baltar are "angels" or reps of "god" per se - they could represent something totally human - the force or will of human society as a whole to move towords their destiny. If this is the case, then they did "do it on their own", or at least through their collective will. That's the way I see it anyway.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
Old March 23 2009, 07:56 PM   #491
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
^^Well, they did, if you think about it. Adama decided to attack and get the kid back, and the battle could have gone either way. And I don't think its very clear that Kara, H-Six and H-Baltar are "angels" or reps of "god" per se - they could represent something totally human - the force or will of human society as a whole to move towords their destiny. If this is the case, then they did "do it on their own", or at least through their collective will. That's the way I see it anyway.
Those are good points, and, as I've recently said in another thread - there was nothing in God's plan about Tyrol killing Tory, which set everything on a different course as well. "God" guides, and prompts, and gives information, but the humans make the decisions.
Old March 23 2009, 07:59 PM   #492
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I think it is hard for us to relate to them giving up their technology because we like ours.
We don't just like ours, it's keeping the vast majority of us alive!

The majority of the Colonials would be dead after a couple of years. Look at the colonization of the new world. You've got starvation, disease, a lack of health care, and a lack of skills on how to survive in their new environment. Most will soon be dead!

Subsistence living is not only hard but it also takes a lot of knowledge and skill. I've studied hunter gatherer societies. It's not just a matter of, well, it'll be hard work, very hard, but I'll do it and survive. There are a lot skills and knowledge that you need as well.

Thanks, but I'll keep our technology. Not just because I like it, but because I like being alive as well.

Mr Awe
Old March 23 2009, 07:59 PM   #493
Darth_Pinche
Captain

I will keep this short since I feel the show speaks for itself. The finale and the show in its entirety was phenomenal. The more I think about it, the more perfect and wonderful it becomes. It had just the right amount of resolution and mystery.

It was so good, I really do not feel like seeing "The Plan" or "Caprica" out of fear that is may tarnish such a perfect ending.

RDM and staff, my sombrero is off out of respect for your achievements. Well done!
Old March 23 2009, 09:16 PM   #494
davidant32
Commodore

Was the ending realistic?

Is it realistic to think that humanity would give up all their technology?
Old March 23 2009, 09:18 PM   #495
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

It is not "realistic" to think that humanity will ever build FTL spaceships the size of small nations, or that human beings evolving independently on the other side of the Milky Way would know "All Along The Watchtower" and use it as a vehicular guidance system. God only knows what "realistic" means in this context.

Is it plausible as part of the story? I found it so, as did many others - while others did not.