New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 23 2009, 06:08 AM   #31
Esteban
Commander

Re: Oh Shatner..WHY!!!!

Let us not forget "Pray For The Wildcats", ca. 1974. Shatner, Andy Griffith (in his bad-guy phase), Robert Reed, Marjoe Gortner, motorcycles, booze, women...it had it all.

Plus, the boys all wore shirts (red, gold, blue mock turtles with black collars) that looked strangely familiar....
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 06:13 AM   #32
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Esteban wrote: View Post
Let us not forget "Pray For The Wildcats", ca. 1974. Shatner, Andy Griffith (in his bad-guy phase), Robert Reed, Marjoe Gortner, motorcycles, booze, women...it had it all.

Plus, the boys all wore shirts (red, gold, blue mock turtles with black collars) that looked strangely familiar....
Yeah..I did see that way back when. Shatner must love, and I bet he really does, looking back at his career. He's shown enough humility in his later years to probably get a kick out of some of his career...

I think, while he is still alive and kicking, he should put out, via his internet site, some of his more interesting performances with a running commentary about the time his life when he made it...why he made it...and, in the case of INCUBUS, what the hell was going on???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 09:22 AM   #33
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

When I was in junior high, they dragged us into the auditorium to see "Go Ask Alice." I had read the book beforehand, so the plot wasn't a surprise. I was the right age to watch it and it seemed hip and cool and relevant.

Except, here comes Alice's father and it's CAPTAIN KIRK! In a black wig. And man, he was squarer than square.

I was a new Star Trek fan (< 2 years) at that point and like all good teen girls lusted after Spock, but while Kirk seemed old enough to be my daddy (and believe it or not, he resembled my dad in looks, a lust squelcher if ever there was one! ) on the Enterprise, he was COOL.

It was a nasty surprise in an otherwise cool (at the time) movie.

I suspect the movie probably will not have dated well. I've never seen it since those long-ago days of my youth.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2009, 07:49 PM   #34
Hambone
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post
TV movie-of-the-week from 1979 called "Disaster on the Coastliner". Shat played a bad guy on his way to death row via train; when the train becomes a runaway, Shat has an epiphany, saves the day, and is killed for his trouble.
Way, way off. :-) Shatner played a con man who attracts Yvette Mimieux, but he's a "heroic con man with a heart of gold" kind of guy. He separates the engine car from the rest of the train and gets trapped aboard. he and the engineer (who is behind the hijacking of the train) jump off as it soars over a bridge above water. The engineer dies, but Shatner survives. He's taken away by the cops (for his criminal record), but it's made clear that he'll be treated leniently because he saved lives.

The movie was terrible, especially for the fact that it was made up mostly of re-used footage from other movies.
Actually, for a TV movie disaster film, it was pretty good. The cast was semi impressive with former A-list stars and the music by Jerry Fielding was outstanding. Sadly, this isn't on video - at least not in the US.
Oh, well. What can I say about my memory after 30 years? It had Shatner and a train in it, and the train crashed. I'd say I was pretty close!

And you're right about the cast...I think Lloyd Bridges ("Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking!") was in it, too.
Old March 23 2009, 07:52 PM   #35
RobertScorpio
Pariah

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
TV movie-of-the-week from 1979 called "Disaster on the Coastliner". Shat played a bad guy on his way to death row via train; when the train becomes a runaway, Shat has an epiphany, saves the day, and is killed for his trouble.
Way, way off. :-) Shatner played a con man who attracts Yvette Mimieux, but he's a "heroic con man with a heart of gold" kind of guy. He separates the engine car from the rest of the train and gets trapped aboard. he and the engineer (who is behind the hijacking of the train) jump off as it soars over a bridge above water. The engineer dies, but Shatner survives. He's taken away by the cops (for his criminal record), but it's made clear that he'll be treated leniently because he saved lives.

The movie was terrible, especially for the fact that it was made up mostly of re-used footage from other movies.
Actually, for a TV movie disaster film, it was pretty good. The cast was semi impressive with former A-list stars and the music by Jerry Fielding was outstanding. Sadly, this isn't on video - at least not in the US.
Oh, well. What can I say about my memory after 30 years? It had Shatner and a train in it, and the train crashed. I'd say I was pretty close!

And you're right about the cast...I think Lloyd Bridges ("Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking!") was in it, too.
Whoa..Did CAIN and KIRK have lines together? They must have done their McCAHAN' rolls together too...with Montebalm as well...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote