Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 20 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Qpid

Plot Summary: When Picard tells Troi that he is excited the Enterprise will be hosting an archaeology symposium, she warns him not to overwork himself. Upon returning to his quarters, Picard finds Vash waiting for him, and the two enjoy each other's company until he discovers that she is still in the business of selling relics and she discovers that he never mentioned her to any of his friends after their fling on Risa. Their quarreling is overheard by Q, who has arrived to repay the debt he believes he owes Picard for Q's reinstatement in the continuum of omnipotent beings to which he belongs. When Picard refuses to play along with Q, the latter turns the crew into Robin Hood and his merry men and sends the lot of them to Sherwood Forest, where Vash - now Maid Marian - has been given the choice between marrying Sir Guy de Gisbourne or being executed. Picard and Q both believe Vash's life is in danger, and though Picard insists to Q that he is not in love with Vash, he sets off to rescue her. Vash, meanwhile, promises to marry Sir Guy and tells her rescuer that she can take care of herself, turning Picard over to Gisbourne. Q takes this as proof that love is a fickle, unworthy emotion until he discovers Vash sending a secret message to Riker asking for help saving Picard; he then turns Vash in as a traitor. Gisbourne intends to execute the lovers but the crew interrupts the proceedings and Picard kills Sir Guy in single combat. Q returns the crew to the Enterprise, but not before he persuades Vash to travel the universe with him and take her to archaeological ruins of which Picard can only dream.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old March 20 2009, 11:11 PM   #2
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Re: Qpid

This is a fun episode, and I like the humour of it most. The Vash/Picard story works quite well for me because I think the characters/actors play well off each other.

We all put up walls in life, and it's enjoyable to see her chip away at Picard's self-enforced walls.

One thing that's always bothered me with this episode though is that women are tough in Trek, yet they have all the men sword fighting and the women can only smash pots over heads and jump about. I'd have liked to see one of the guys useless, and one of the women maybe pick up a sword.
Old March 20 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
This is a fun episode, and I like the humour of it most. The Vash/Picard story works quite well for me because I think the characters/actors play well off each other.

We all put up walls in life, and it's enjoyable to see her chip away at Picard's self-enforced walls.

One thing that's always bothered me with this episode though is that women are tough in Trek, yet they have all the men sword fighting and the women can only smash pots over heads and jump about. I'd have liked to see one of the guys useless, and one of the women maybe pick up a sword.
According to behind the scenes info, Sirtis and McFadden were the only ones who were trained in stage-swordplay, too. I would love to see Crusher with some steel.

I like MEG's point about how Q seems to come across Picard in fairly sexual ways between this and Tapestry. It just adds a whole new dimension to Q's motivations/trickster methods and speaks well of DeLancie's efforts with the character.
Old March 22 2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Sliding Dragon
Lieutenant Commander

If "Qpid" is a bit more timid than next season's "Tapestry," in which Q actually snuggles in bed with Picard, it remains far more subversive than any of the clunky heteronormative Voyager episodes trying for force Captain Janeway into typical gender roles vis-a-vis the man who's supposed to know everything.
Wow. Just... wow.
Old March 23 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Freakness
Fleet Captain

okay, so Q flirting with Picard is "sexy," Q attempting to seduce Janeway is unforgivably "heteronormative," but the age difference between Picard and Vash is "icky"? M.E.G., you're pathetic. can the gender politics already!
Old March 23 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Saxman1
Commodore

Freakness wrote: View Post
okay, so Q flirting with Picard is "sexy," Q attempting to seduce Janeway is unforgivably "heteronormative," but the age difference between Picard and Vash is "icky"? M.E.G., you're pathetic. can the gender politics already!
I agree. Why does almost every male relationship in Trek have some kind of homoerotic undertow to it according to MEG? I am among the most liberal of heteros you will find, but even I have to say, COME ON!

This falls under repeating myself, but I don't like Vash as a character or the actress playing her one bit. You would think they'd come up with someone better than a con-artist for Picard's great love interest. Yeah, she's also interested in archeology, but jeez....
Old March 23 2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

All right Michelle, you can quit beating that poor horse. It's not just merely dead. It's most sincerely dead. We get it. We get it. You're a Picard/Q shipper.

Back to the topic at hand, if you're going to have someone who is not a Trek fan or even a sci-fi fan watch an episode of TNG 'Qpid' is the episode to have them watch. Like the TOS's 'Trouble with Tribbles,' this one is pure, unmitigated fun! Vash's brazenness complements Picard's more sedate personality perfectly. She is the ideal foil for Picard's straight man. The couple has a very compelling 'battle of wills' dynamic to their relationship. The characterizations and relationship dynamics between Picard/Vash and Q is unbeatable. Star Trek at its character driven best!!!

And now for a little Picard/Vash shipping. There is that scorching, absolutely sizzling scene in the teaser between Picard and Vash in his quarters. As Picard watches Vash approach him, the sensual heat in his eyes and in his bedroom baritone practically melt the screen. And then THE KISS! That boys and girls is some seriously hot romantic chemistry!!!

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old March 23 2009, 09:53 PM   #8
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Saxman1 wrote: View Post
This falls under repeating myself, but I don't like Vash as a character or the actress playing her one bit. You would think they'd come up with someone better than a con-artist for Picard's great love interest. Yeah, she's also interested in archeology, but jeez....
Yeah, she was highly unbelievable and had poor on screen chemistry, too.
Old March 26 2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

cubbie wrote: View Post
Saxman1 wrote: View Post
I thought it was just me...
Old March 26 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, DeLancie said that his theory of "Q" was that he was in love with Picard, but without elaboration.

Which is a funny thing because she and Stewart dated for quite a while, beginning at the time of "Captain's Holiday."
Old March 26 2009, 01:42 AM   #11
cubbie
Vice Admiral

^^ Really? I would never have guessed that. I don't know, but Vash never worked for me as a character or love interest for Picard.
Old March 27 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Saxman1
Commodore

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Well, DeLancie said that his theory of "Q" was that he was in love with Picard, but without elaboration.

Which is a funny thing because she and Stewart dated for quite a while, beginning at the time of "Captain's Holiday."
Yes. I think think that might have broken up his marriage...or maybe he was already divorced. I don't remember.