RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 836
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 21 2009, 11:43 PM   #31
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Re: Am i alone?

What I don't get is everybody was fine when John Sheridan went to Z'ha'dum, and died. Many people still enjoy the adventures of Anakin Skywalker, even knowing his ultimate destiny and nobody threw peanuts and crackerjacks when Kevin Costner built it and people actually came. Yet when the Galactica finds Earth, a promised journy it essentially began over thirty years ago, people have a hard time wrapping their minds around it. I guess it just shows how good the program was at making us expect the unexpected; Even when it was expected.
Old March 22 2009, 12:47 AM   #32
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I didn't hate it, but I don't like it. I though it was filled with contrived plot devices that needed to be there to make the whole thing work, and thats much too Voyager-esque for me. I am also baffled at how 40,000 people who have been on the run from killer robots for 5 years after their entire civilization was destroyed, save for themselves, could just decide to give up on that civilization, on all thier history, all their art, all their music, all of their falleen friends... and be swallowed by time. Stupid, I think.
Old March 22 2009, 01:07 AM   #33
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

Well obviously some of the Colonials history and religion was passed down through time peaking in ancient Greece and Rome.

I thought while hopeful..it did seem lonely. There was part of me that wanted them to arrive on near future Earth and having their space defense grid blow the Cylons out of the sky...but that would have been cheesey and a bit Star Trek-esque.

However I don't think they were swallowed by time but they became in effect the jumping off point for human history.
Old March 22 2009, 01:35 AM   #34
ELURIA
Captain

I frakkin' loved every minute of it.

Seriously, from start to finish.

& especially the coda with the Jimi Hendrix music...

Mum: "No worse...they're Republicans"

(From Vertigo's Y:The Last Man)
Old March 22 2009, 01:59 AM   #35
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

I loved it, oddly I felt completed in some way after watching it.

RDM was "damned if he did, and damned if he didn't" in this regard. Sure there's stuff that I might have handled differently but that's just me who wasn't in the hot seat for 4yrs producing the show which I think if some of his critics found themselves in the postion would have a very different take on the whole show.

"it doesn't like to be called God". All that did was set up a whole new mystery of what "it" is and we will never know what or who they are talking about.
I was pretty sure he said "He" which may or may not complicate the matter more depending upon your conclusions. And you see, I'm enjoying letting my imagination take the ball and speculate from this point on. Did Tyrol (who acted rashly in CIC) become tha archtype for Merlin (How long do True-Earth Cylons live anway? Hmm), did Apollo go off and found a "city" known as Thrace? You get the idea.

Where I had hoped there would have been a curve ball there was none, that is Roslin's death. That made me very sad, I figured okay if they broke the prophiecies they might as well have gone all the way and give Laura and Bill a chance for a peaceful life they both earned it.

Sharr
Old March 22 2009, 03:12 AM   #36
Bisz
Rear Admiral

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
Well obviously some of the Colonials history and religion was passed down through time peaking in ancient Greece and Rome.
Sorry, you are off by about 147,000 years.
Old March 22 2009, 02:26 PM   #37
Good
Commander

Bisz wrote: View Post
Bits and pieces people, bits and pieces. Obviously colonial culture and religion didn't survive whole cloth, but stories could have. Stories of Hera, queen of the gods. Stories of Apollo the great leader. Stories of places like Caprica, Tauron, etc.

Does it make perfect sense? No, but good enough for TV.
Old March 22 2009, 08:52 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I recognize all the logic holes in the finale and the series overall. It's just that at this point, it doesn't bother me overly. After all, what shows are there on TV that can match BSG's imagination and ambition? A few here and there, but none in the space opera genre, that's for sure. I'll miss BSG.
The internet hates everything.
The Internet is the evolutionary end-stage of Brother Cavil.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 22 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old March 22 2009, 09:37 PM   #39
mswood
Rear Admiral

Oh I think both DS9 and Babylon 5 matched BSG in imagination and ambition. I don't think they matched it in quality (but thats a different qualifier).
Old March 22 2009, 09:40 PM   #40
Gregsmack
Captain

No, but this shows that All Along the Watchtower is not the only universal abstraction that somehow finds its way into the minds of people. I don't think the Greeks and Romans necessarily received passed-down beliefs, but they were probably in tune to the same thing the Colonials were, whatever that may be. It's an interesting idea, in my opinion. It also makes me re-think the nature of the Hybrids and Anders and what exactly they are experiencing in their state (my best guess is something similar to the Navigators of the Dune saga).
Old March 22 2009, 10:51 PM   #41
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Good wrote: View Post
Bits and pieces people, bits and pieces. Obviously colonial culture and religion didn't survive whole cloth, but stories could have. Stories of Hera, queen of the gods. Stories of Apollo the great leader. Stories of places like Caprica, Tauron, etc.

Does it make perfect sense? No, but good enough for TV.
Again, sorry, but no, the only bits and pieces between 150,000 years ago and the Greeks and Romans were loin cloths and hand tools, not culture or religion. Please brush up on your history.