Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 16 2009, 08:53 PM   #196
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There's always plenty of story on nuBSG; what there isn't is a lot of concentration on plot and plot points. This story is definitely going somewhere and will definitely end, but what some folks are concerned about (and others less so) are how specific plot points and threads will be resolved.
Oh yeah, there is a story. My point is that that story has almost kind of stopped lately. I'm looking forward to seeing the story end, I just wish it was written better than what we ended up with.
Old March 16 2009, 09:03 PM   #197
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Garibaldi O'brien wrote: View Post
Starbuck: Kara frakking Thrace - Hot.

Is it just me, or is Katee packing a little more up front then she was at the beginning of the series?
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
Old March 17 2009, 12:15 AM   #198
CordrazineOD
Lieutenant Commander

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The beginning of the end is just the beginning!!!

This episode better not be completely lame shit like the last 3 weeks.
My sentiments exactly. Seems like the last 4 episodes could have been done in half the time at twice the pace.
Old March 17 2009, 12:20 AM   #199
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post

For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture. Not curious. I guess they had enough fun bickering!

I think the characters are too busy trying to stay alive.
I think they spent weeks goofing off in Earth orbit and not asking obvious questions of obvious people (Starbuck, here's looking at you).
Old March 17 2009, 12:24 AM   #200
CordrazineOD
Lieutenant Commander

JKTim wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
USS Gettysburg wrote: View Post

There's a deleted scene from the episode prior to Daybreak that explains how he got there. (I read that in one of the mainstream recaps, either LA Times or EW.com.) Have to wait for the DVD.
Shit, why do they keep doing this? Just to inflate DVD sales?
The production staff was originally told by Sci-Fi Channel execs that they would be allowed to run longer-than-normal episodes for the Season 4.5 run -- so the episodes were written longer. Prior to airing, that decision was reversed, necessitating cuts to the episodes.
That's outrageous. What, they didn't want to cut into their allotted slot for Stargate BS-Atlantica or whatever the frak it is? They've never, ever had an original production on that network that approaches the quality of Battlestar---not even close. You'd think they'd respect and appreciate it more.
Old March 17 2009, 01:53 AM   #201
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post

For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture. Not curious. I guess they had enough fun bickering!

I think the characters are too busy trying to stay alive.
I think they spent weeks goofing off in Earth orbit and not asking obvious questions of obvious people (Starbuck, here's looking at you).

I'm curious as to what your definition of "goofing off" is...

Edit: Because I apparently missed 3rd grade english class.

Last edited by Kelso; March 17 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old March 17 2009, 02:15 AM   #202
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
You know, if the show isn't about revelations and answers, they shouldn't have set it up so there are these intriguing questions that we'd want answers to.
I agree.
I think it's clear the writers don't agree - I'm going to guess you were unhappy with Anders explaining about the Final Five as well.

I don't think it's good or bad, necessarily, to set up mysteries and pay them off as big reveals, but BSG isn't doing that. How did we find out who the fifth Cylon was? We got told flat-out by a character. The nature of the Final Five? Someone virtually turned to the camera and explained it.

I understand why it's a pisser for some, but it's not an accident - it's a choice by the writers. I fully expect, now that everyone's said it will be revealed, that someone will say "Head people? That's caused by X and Y." and maybe the characters will briefly discuss how they all came into contact with X and Y... The only reason I see these writers delving into the meaning, is if it gives the characters something interesting/complicated/painful to react to.

As Neil Gaiman wrote " It is the mystery that lingers, and not the explanation, as I [Neil] had Cain say, quoting Sacheverell Sitwell". BSG is more interested in the mystery than the solution. So there's that.

Plus, it's a choice I've come to appreciate. In life, sometimes stuff happens to you and you never find out why. If someone pushes you into traffic, there may be an interesting or valid reason why, but your experience of it is probably confusing, painful and hard to make sense of. Just because you don't know the reason, doesn't mean the reason isn't there. (Though I wouldn't push the writers on a lot of this.)

Honestly, I lost my expectation to have every mystery explained a long time ago. I wasn't happy to do it at first, but I enjoy the show for the ride. I'm not suffering through it for some gift of revelation at the end.
Old March 17 2009, 03:07 AM   #203
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Yassim wrote: View Post
I'm going to guess you were unhappy with Anders explaining about the Final Five as well.
Actually, I liked "No Exit" and gave it an 'excellent'. You can see what I said before and after the episode aired.

I don't think it's good or bad, necessarily, to set up mysteries and pay them off as big reveals, but BSG isn't doing that. How did we find out who the fifth Cylon was? We got told flat-out by a character. The nature of the Final Five? Someone virtually turned to the camera and explained it.
I was fine with that. At least we got answers to what they set up.

In life, sometimes stuff happens to you and you never find out why. If someone pushes you into traffic, there may be an interesting or valid reason why, but your experience of it is probably confusing, painful and hard to make sense of. Just because you don't know the reason, doesn't mean the reason isn't there.
This is different though. We're watching a story unfold and they've made some of the overall mythology as much a part of that story as the characters. That's why I think that the mythology too needs to be dealt with in a satisfying manner.

Also, don't forget that in real life, people manage to give themselves answers to things they can't explain, either through rationalization or insight that turns out to be correct. If the finale of BSG did that or something close to it, I might be alright with it.

Honestly, I lost my expectation to have every mystery explained a long time ago. I wasn't happy to do it at first, but I enjoy the show for the ride. I'm not suffering through it for some gift of revelation at the end.
I certainly don't expect clear and complete answers to everything, I'm just a little surprised that some people think it's fine if we don't get anything.
Old March 21 2009, 10:18 AM   #204
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Excellent.

And, boy, do I hate lagging behind.