Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 300 71.94%
Above Average 59 14.15%
Average 20 4.80%
Below Average 19 4.56%
Poor 19 4.56%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 21 2009, 04:48 AM   #151
galleywest
Hallowed Weenie

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

I kinda gave up on the series a couple of years ago, it was all Just Too Much to try to wade through anymore. I felt a kind of obligation, though, to see off what I think really has really been influential on the genre. So I watched. And....

I really liked it. I'm very glad that it got an ending that gave closure to the story of Galactica, but kept open questions as to humanity as a whole (where did those visions come from? Who was Kara? What was coincidence and what was not?). I'm also happy that decent time was given to all the main characters, each got a proper send-off. What I really loved, however, was how, when they finally reached their goal planet, all the fighting, intrigue, the drama kinda vanished. Like they realized, hey, it's over now...and there are more important things to concentrate on! You realize that that was just one chapter of humanity, and now a new one is starting.

Frankly, after all those grim, gritty, claustrophobic scenes in Galactica's grey interior, it was so nice to see the characters out in the sun.

So, nice job. Considering the crappiness of some series finales (I'm lookin' at you, TATV), I'd say it was an excellent wrap-up.
Old March 21 2009, 04:48 AM   #152
Vonstadt
Captain

I went with above average

Final Battle = AWESOME so old school NuBSG! The triage, the fighting, even the IN DEPTH look at the characters and the opera house explaination of the so called 'truce' Fantastic I loved the imagry of the old Galacica as the opera house where all things have been performed since the end of the clonies! Perfect!

Torry getting what she deserved and the end of the truce - AWESOME!

The rest...um meh.

I like how that wasn't really Kara but her spirit, I did get it and the fact she was the daughter of Daniel who was obviously stepping into to balance out Cavil's evil domination over the Cylon nation...but just the 'back to nature' routine was something kinda contrived, at least it felt that way to explain how we had zero artifacts on Earth

I did like however how Caprica and Balter (the Head ones) were basically God's representations of 'Good and Evil' Angels watching over us in our never ending struggle. That and Helo and Athena living happily ever after...that and Galen sorta being the formation of 'Gaelic' culture (that was cute )

I dunno just the ending fell a little flat out average for me, I pained me to see the old girl just fly away to burn up in the sun with the rest of the fleet. Felt more likeit was being tossed away like an empty beer can than actualy being honored for her last mission.

I felt after that she deserved a more fitting end like the Arizona at Pearl. I dunno once more I get it was to keep in line with what the writers were going for but still...that gave me more of the contrived ending...like how it was now unanimous that everyone just embraced the zero creature comfort back to nature thing.

So I gave it above average, definitely better than most finale's but I remember being more moved by the image and music of the destruction of the Babylon station then I was seeing Galactica heading off into the sun. I had tears in my eyes when the B5 Station went up...I just kinda felt like waving when Anders sly into the 'sunset'

Anyways a relatively decent sendoff in my opinion...just couldve been better.

Vons
Old March 21 2009, 04:48 AM   #153
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Oh yeah that reminds me, why the hell did Leoben only appear AFTER the big final battle? Why wasn't there a single Leoben involved in the battle? I'd forgotten about him and then whoop! there he was looking at the Earth info. Weird. And what was up with Leoben and the Hybrids in the end? Were they contacted by Not-God? Were they contacted by Not-God's Angels? ... I also thought that sending off the Centurions was a questionable move. Here you go, remorseless killer robots... the only FTL capable ship in existence! Have fun!
But if Ellen was right, then the Centurions, free of the skinjobs, given their free will and belief in God, they should be fine. Plus, they know the humans they left on Earth gave up all their technology. What do they have to worry about? Not much, by my reckoning. Although there is a seemingly inevitable sequel in which we travel to the stars and encounter our ancient Cylon brethren... who have also spent the last 150,000 years evolving.
Those Centurions have 150,000 years on us. We're screwed!

Although they were underutilized, I'm glad even the Centurions got an ending.
Old March 21 2009, 04:50 AM   #154
Skywalker
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I just thought of something, when us on this Earth starts exploring space with FTL drives and stuff, we are going to find the first Earth. I wonder if we will be able to piece together the past and what really happened, Kobol, Earth, the Cylons everything. Of course, we may never get to that point cause our robots we create will probably rebel and the cycle will start all over again.
And then John Connor will emerge to lead us to salvation.
Old March 21 2009, 04:50 AM   #155
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I do wonder what became of the Centurions after 150,000 years, yeesh, imagine how advanced they could be

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 21 2009, 04:51 AM   #156
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

""Also, and this is a biggie - WHO BUILT THE TEMPLE OF THE FIVE? Why was it built after the final five rolled through town?"" As I vaguely recall this was addressed in the Ellen/Cavil flashback episode. Cavil said she and the Final Five created the temple or altered it to be a road map to their Earth or something like that.
Nah - I just watched that scene today. Cavil assumes they built it as a shrine to themselves and Ellen is like "oh, no, we didn't do that - it must be the followers of the one, true god" or something to that effect.

Mainly she means the final five did not build that temple. My question is this - who did? Why would the angels of God who are above all this create a temple to the 5 if they are agents of a single God? That makes no sense.

So there must be some other group of beings who worshiped the final five? Who?
Old March 21 2009, 04:51 AM   #157
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I just thought of something, when us on this Earth starts exploring space with FTL drives and stuff, we are going to find the first Earth. I wonder if we will be able to piece together the past and what really happened, Kobol, Earth, the Cylons everything. Of course, we may never get to that point cause our robots we create will probably rebel and the cycle will start all over again.
And then John Connor will emerge to lead us to salvation.
Seriously, there is a lot of similarity between nuBSG and the Terminator universe, not to mention The Matrix as well

Old March 21 2009, 04:52 AM   #158
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I have to admit that I'm surprised that you (and many others) find season 1 so brilliant and everything after that so unwatchable no matter what they do. Thanks for you input though. I was wondering if any former fans would pop in.
Well I certainly wouldn't say it was brilliant. The mini was my favorite. If I were to grade, I'd probably give the mini a 10, season 1 a 9 and the second season an 8. Third and fourth seasons were equally poor for me.
Old March 21 2009, 04:52 AM   #159
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

Odd.
I have to admit that I'm surprised that you (and many others) find season 1 so brilliant and everything after that so unwatchable no matter what they do. Thanks for you input though. I was wondering if any former fans would pop in.[/quote]

Season 1 and 2 felt like they had a plan, felt like there was a preplanned end point and the show was tight and very few episodes really sucked.

Then season 2.5 came and everything seemed to fly out the window just to try to move the story forward. A lot of the time the show was still great, but more often than not the show's storylines failed. Seasons 1 and 2 are so different than 3 and 4.
Old March 21 2009, 04:52 AM   #160
Brent
Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
""Also, and this is a biggie - WHO BUILT THE TEMPLE OF THE FIVE? Why was it built after the final five rolled through town?"" As I vaguely recall this was addressed in the Ellen/Cavil flashback episode. Cavil said she and the Final Five created the temple or altered it to be a road map to their Earth or something like that.
Nah - I just watched that scene today. Cavil assumes they built it as a shrine to themselves and Ellen is like "oh, no, we didn't do that - it must be the followers of the one, true god" or something to that effect.

Mainly she means the final five did not build that temple. My question is this - who did? Why would the angels of God who are above all this create a temple to the 5 if they are agents of a single God? That makes no sense.

So there must be some other group of beings who worshiped the final five? Who?
The 13th tribe built it after they left Kobol, on the way to Earth

Old March 21 2009, 04:52 AM   #161
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

The series finale is the best episode since "No Exit" and overall I'm satisfied with how the series went out and what Moore came up with.

The Battle--What can I say--Outstanding. Film quality effects. The epic battle comprising most of the first hour was the kind of unique event that stands out among other battles because of the impressive flawless detailed visual effects sequences, the well thought tactics and game plan from the writers via the characters, the choregraphy, the actual execution and the overall visceral impact of high stakes life and death struggles. Loved the action sequences both outside among the ships and within among the colonial troops and Cylon centurions. I got a kick out of te Centurion waving on Lee's group after clearing the corridor.

Well I knew that these remaining elements not addressed and answered in "No Exit" would have to come out here and you know the funny thing a lot of them still didn't. Plot/Mythology was never really BSG's thing so I guess I should count myself lucky I didn't invest a lot in it even though what I saw I enjoyed and was certainly intrigued by. The first centering around the meaning of the Opera House was disappointing overall. I expected something more. I will say that I did like the sequence when Caprica and Baltar entered the CIC and we have the Final Five on the upper deck looking down on them bathed in the white light.

We didn't learn what happened to Starbuck. Yes she is an angel but I would have liked more to it. We didn't learn about the reason for the exodus on Kobol. We didn't learn why those Final Five out of millions on Earth were chosen by the messengers. We didn't learn why the Four were activated at the nebula. We didn't learn where the song came from. I guess Starbuck being harbinger of death was the death of a purely human race. What was Starbuck's dad's connection to the Opera House. Why send Starbuck to the first Earth? Why did she need to die to go there? Was her dad a supernatural entity or what? I mean the last few episodes were pointless and here they try to cram too much in these two hours. I can't help but think the writers could have used those episodes to work on some of the mythology.

What did work beautifully were the character moments beginning with the discovery of Earth.--Roslin's death was beautifully done with her being the only thing dying amid all this vibrant vivid thriving life on their newly found home , the cinematography was great, Starbuck and Lee's final moment and him turning around to see that she was gone. Loved the twist that our Earth was colonized by another group of humans from Kobol and the twelve colonies and that in a clever twist of messing with out heads we learn we are all part Cylon. Loved Hera being our ancestor. Liked that God wants us humanity to not die out so see if we can evetually get it right. Loved the flash to 150,000 years to our present and seeing the head figures observing humanity to see if it will start out the cycle again and leaving the episode with a big "?". Now that open-ended approach really worked with the focus on the latest news reports with regards to the advances in robotics and Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower rendering. Perfect!

This episode would have been four stars excellent had it just dealt with the mythology better than it did. Everything else was there-the vfx, the battles, the character moments, the cinematography, the scores/musical selections, a poignant sendoff for Roslin and the series. Some might say the series wasn't about the mythology. True it wasn't exclusively about it but it deserved a bit better than it got here with the investment that people put into it.

I'd rather the show never had a mythology than to resolve it this way because in the end it was a bit of a mess or at least from just one viewing and a little reflection it is a mess. I'm not budging one bit about this. It might be argued that life isn't always forthcoming with answers to its mysteries but at the end of the day the BSG is a tv show and the writers owed some answers and more interesting answers. It marred the episode. The mythology really could have been a great addition to the show in someone else's hands. And Lampkin's appearance was unnecessary and pointless other than he must be a fan favorite or more likely Moore's favorite.

And just because a great episode doesn't make up for the sloppy journey getting there. Still I voted Excellent since closer to that.
Old March 21 2009, 04:53 AM   #162
Mr Light
Admiral

It was great to finally see them fighting Centurions again. It's unfortunate their budget never allowed them to really use those toasters. Seriously when was the last time we had a large scale battle with Centurions? 2X1? And we even got the old-style ones too! Too bad those didn't talk. ... Speaking of Galactica's end. Did they order Anders to kill himself? Was he willing to kill himself like that? That was weird. It's too bad we didn't get a pretty shot of Galactica diving into the sun and slowly exploding from the heat/stress.

Old March 21 2009, 04:53 AM   #163
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Haw....awww....shit. They should've ended this 50 minutes early with Galactica approaching Earth that part was great They could've left it ambiguous and I could accept it.

Instead, Michael Piller rose from the grave and cowrote the rest with his luddite hands.

Yeah, everyone agrees to abandon technology. Days before they wanted to strip Galactica bare for every nut and bolt and now, because Lee Frakking Apollo suggests it...they all go along. And we accept that, because Bill Adama tells us they do. All grayness is gone. We have angels and a fresh start with nature...oo-rah.

So the colonials give Earth humans latin and Greek pantheon of gods and decide that paper can have corners. And we are all part cylon. Wheeeee!!!!

What Lee Adama gets in the end for himself...nothing. All his idealism lead to the pigeon flying out the window...him alone. No father, no Kara. A world to explore, and cavewomen to frak.

Romo has the last pair of sunglasses in the universe.

Helo better hope that leg doesn't get infected.

But that said, I think it was the gutsy choice to stick with 70's BSG's "life here began out there" and the supernatural "angels" and that Hera really was some Holy love child. Those were, contrary to the hype the show has had about "realism", hokey things to do, too. As was the last few minutes...oh no, AI is destined to plague humanity. Gee, Moore, did The Terminator and The Matrix tell us that in less than 4 seasons?

So really, it was a show about characters. Moore was right about that. The message was just the same old sci-fi cliche...don't build killer robots. We all knew that from the get go, though. All this has happened before and will happen again...we knew that, too. The 150,000 years later ending was gratuitous.

I have no desire to see Caprica. What's the point? (That's the drawback of a prequel to a series that ends with so much closure.)
Old March 21 2009, 04:54 AM   #164
Agent Richard07
Retired

I do wonder what became of the Centurions after 150,000 years, yeesh, imagine how advanced they could be
You know, after being spoiled about the "150,000 years later" bit, I started thinking... Hey, Ron Moore through in a little nod to the concept of Ancient Astronauts.
Old March 21 2009, 04:55 AM   #165
Harvey
Admiral

The thirteenth tribe built the place on there way to Earth (they called it the "Temple of Hopes").

More here.

Most of that can be found in "No Exit."

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.