RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 456
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 27 38.57%
Above Average 32 45.71%
Average 11 15.71%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20 2009, 04:09 AM   #91
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Lost 5x09: "Namaste"

^^ I bet Juliet is gonna make her clean out the polar bear cages

Old March 20 2009, 04:31 AM   #92
chrisspringob
Commodore

Apparently, when they cut immediately from the 1977 new recruits photo that Christian shows Frank and Sun to the footage of them actually having their picture taken, there's a guy on the right of the photo that goes missing:

http://lost.cubit.net/assets_c/2009/...photo-2115.php

http://lost.cubit.net/assets_c/2009/...ruits-2116.php

Is this just a flub? A guy who ran up into the shot at the last minute before the picture was taken? Or does it actually mean something?
Old March 20 2009, 06:24 AM   #93
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

GodBen wrote: View Post
Average.
Average in Lost terms is still damn good.
Old March 20 2009, 04:06 PM   #94
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Above average. A very solid and enjoyable episode. It was great to see what happened to the other plane. The crash landing was pretty intense. Loved it when Sun clubbed Ben.

The Dharma storyline is still enjoyable. It's interesting seeing Sawyer in his new role. He's using his con man skills in a new setting. Rather than ripping people off, he's using them to keep things going smoothly in the community. He's enjoying his new life and doesn't want things to upset it. And, therein lies the problem apparently. Maintaining that status quo appears like it'll take precedent over taking care of Siaid and maybe the others.

So far, I'm enjoying this storyline. But, if things continue too far down the path of pitting the Losties against each other, I'm not sure how I'll like that. I'm sensing that it's time to either wrap up the Dharma storyline or at least that aspect of it.

Mr Awe
Old March 20 2009, 04:18 PM   #95
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I actually found Sawyer's hostility towards Jack a little strange. Wasn't he faithfully waiting for them all to return for three years? Hasn't he matured into a better leader and person now? Or was he only looking for Kate and Locke?
My take is that for Sawyer, the others returning just represents a threat to this new happy life he's created for himself. Right now, that's what they are to him. His response, pipe down and do as I say. He wants to maintain the status quo.

Mr Awe
Old March 20 2009, 04:20 PM   #96
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I gotta say I'm getting a little sick and tired of Christian's appearances. I want to see Jacob. Plus sometimes they're a little superfluous. Was it really necessary for him to show up and say hey come in this cabin and look at this picture! Couldn't they have just investigated the cabin on their own? Not to mention we pretty much know that Christian is just like Locke... a normal guy who was resurrected by the Island and speaks for Jacob but isn't mystically knowledgeable himself.
How'd he appear down by the donkey wheel? He definitely seems more than normal.
I wondered why he could pick up the picture but couldn't help Locke with the donkey wheel? At the time with Locke, I figured he wasn't corporeal and, thus, was not physically able to help. That doesn't appear to be a case. Unless it was a writer oversight.

Mr Awe
Old March 20 2009, 04:30 PM   #97
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
By the way, this episode is exactly halfway through the season. There were eight episodes before this one, and there are eight episodes left.
Wow, I was actually thinking that it we were further through the season. They've really covered so much material that it feels like it has been more! That's great!

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
And oh, just WTF does "Namaste" mean anyway?
On one of my trips to India, I was told it means, "I respect the divine in you." It's a greeting.

Mr Awe

Last edited by Mr Awe; March 20 2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 20 2009, 04:48 PM   #98
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I actually found Sawyer's hostility towards Jack a little strange. Wasn't he faithfully waiting for them all to return for three years? Hasn't he matured into a better leader and person now? Or was he only looking for Kate and Locke?
My take is that for Sawyer, the others returning just represents a threat to this new happy life he's created for himself. Right now, that's what they are to him. His response, pipe down and do as I say. He wants to maintain the status quo.

Mr Awe
I disagree. Sawyer is keeping his people safe in an unsafe situation, and has done so for 3 years. When Jack, Kate and Hurley show up, he has to keep them safe too. He feels responsible for the other castaways they haven't found yet (he and Jin keep looking), is sad and dissapointed that Locke didn't make it back (to the best of their knowledge)

As Sawyer says, he thinks, Jack reacts. A very apt description from Zen Saywer

I still contend, as I have for years, that Sawyer is the hero of Lost, not Jack

LJ

LJ2
Old March 20 2009, 05:57 PM   #99
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I will say that, at the beginning, Jack was the better person to lead because they needed someone to act. It was when they switched from a survival situation to an antagonistic situation with the Others that having someone who thought a bit more would have been helpful (actually, Sayid should have been leader at that point). Now, they're goal is deceive others so they can live with them and Sawyer is definitely well-suited.
Old March 20 2009, 06:19 PM   #100
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I will say that, at the beginning, Jack was the better person to lead because they needed someone to act.
That's especially true if you think back to the kind of person Sawyer was originally. Everything was "What's in it for me?" Remember he was the one who had Charlie kidnap Aaron so he could get the guns back.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'll even say I'm not so sure that this remarkable turn around in Sawyer's character isn't almost as unrealistic as the smoke monster and time travel stuff.
Old March 20 2009, 06:21 PM   #101
Alidar Jarok

Well, he was basically doing that because he wanted to be hated. He slowly moved away from being hated pretty much when he started getting Kate (so season 3). Before that, he did show touches of humanity, he would just regress at other times. Plus, finally killing Real Sawyer helped as well.

It wasn't an overnight thing. They plotted it out fairly well.
Old March 20 2009, 06:24 PM   #102
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

I'm a big believer in a "leopard can't change his spots." Although I like his character now, it's just not really believable for me. But neither are smoke monsters, dead people ressurected, time travel, etc, etc. I just accept it as part of the show. If I can accept that John Locke rose from the dead, then I have to believe a lifelong con man became the "good guy." Both are equally unlikely to me.
Old March 20 2009, 06:30 PM   #103
Alidar Jarok

But the thing about James Ford is they always showed a hint of this kind of character. It was just that he tried to hide it with Sawyer.
Old March 20 2009, 06:32 PM   #104
Gertch
Admiral

He could also finally release his hate after killing the real Sawyer. Once that hate is gone he can start to move on in life. Which he has for the past 3 years.
Old March 20 2009, 06:39 PM   #105
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Besides, as a conman (and a professional one!) he thinks ahead. I'm sure he's got something baking somewhere. The absence of Faraday may be related.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."