RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 517
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 17 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

oldBSG found Earth?

I know they found Earth in the dreadful GALACTICA 1980. This thread isn't about that....

If Galactica had found earth, and I mean tos-BSG, and were not being chased by the Cylons, how would their belief system have affected the Earth? Would their arrival have shook the foundations of Earth's various religions? Would religious whackos of all ilks had attacked the Galactica and her people???? Would the people of Greece, had stomped on their feet chanting "WE TOLD YOU!!"

Rob
Old March 17 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: oldBSG found Earth?

If they found earth, they'd be rollerdiscoing with Buck and Wilma.
Old March 17 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I tend to think that if TOS Galactica found Earth in modern day, it would likely have been in a scenario like G1980. They'd slowly infiltrate society bringing their technology, ideas, culture and religion with them, eventually creating a society similar to the one seen in nuBSG: modern humans, but ones that play pyramid and colonize other planets. To simply land and say," we are your brothers, have advanced galaxy hopping technology, are polytheists, and have been fighting evil robots in a genocidal war for a thousand years," would likely cause a culture shock so drastic it might start with mass suicides and end in nuclear war, likely against our "brothers of man" refugee space trash.
Old March 17 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If they found earth, they'd be rollerdiscoing with Buck and Wilma.
And playing ping-pool.
Old March 17 2009, 11:18 PM   #5
RobertScorpio
Pariah

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I tend to think that if TOS Galactica found Earth in modern day, it would likely have been in a scenario like G1980. They'd slowly infiltrate society bringing their technology, ideas, culture and religion with them, eventually creating a society similar to the one seen in nuBSG: modern humans, but ones that play pyramid and colonize other planets. To simply land and say," we are your brothers, have advanced galaxy hopping technology, are polytheists, and have been fighting evil robots in a genocidal war for a thousand years," would likely cause a culture shock so drastic it might start with mass suicides and end in nuclear war, likely against our "brothers of man" refugee space trash.
I like your view on this. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened...maybe some day HATCH can follow up his Galatica with something like that.

Rob
Old March 18 2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Garibaldi O'brien
Rear Admiral

I'd take someone who loves the material just as much as HATCH. He is a finite resource, and has provided lots of his soul to BSG - old and new - surely he can be allowed some R&R, should he want to try some non-BSG stuff. If he can get funds for BSG 3.0, WTF, why not. I have enough weed in the house. ;p
Old March 18 2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Magic_Al
Captain

I thought I read somewhere that TOS BSG was to reach Earth in the 25th Century and crossover with Buck Rogers. The two shows had similar main title graphics as though there was some relationship.
Old March 18 2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Tom
Rear Admiral

It would be Alien Nation with out them looking like aliens, actually to the point, maybe like the 4400 where there always watched even though they look like us.
Old March 18 2009, 01:48 AM   #9
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Magic_Al wrote: View Post
I thought I read somewhere that TOS BSG was to reach Earth in the 25th Century and crossover with Buck Rogers. The two shows had similar main title graphics as though there was some relationship.

Dr. Theopolis would team up with the Imperious Leader.

Bdbdbdbdbd, by your command...
Old March 18 2009, 01:50 AM   #10
Brian
Vice Admiral

They had lots of similarities. Probably because Glen Larson created both of them. I never heard they would ever cross over.
Old March 18 2009, 03:18 AM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I think that was just an urban legend. I had heard of it too, but I doubt there was any substance to it. Although the Starfighters from Buck Rogers were based on an old Viper concept, that much I do know.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old March 18 2009, 03:49 AM   #12
Alex1939
Captain

I think it would be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3hb4-VAIc
Old March 19 2009, 04:59 AM   #13
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Buck Rogers and BSG...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8YrPeOI-c
Old March 19 2009, 05:55 AM   #14
RobertScorpio
Pariah

jptrekker wrote: View Post
What I meant though was what effect would they have on our society?

Rob
Old March 19 2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

a serious answer...

I agree with ManontheWave that if they were just to show up and land on present day Earth, that this would be bad. The colonials (in both versions) represent a culture plagued by unending war against a foe that doesn't know the meaning of compromise or cooperation (perhaps literally in the case of oldBSG toasters). All the major powers (and the minor ones too) would want their advanced technology and would warm up to them as allies, and the ones outside the loop would demonize them.

Then there's the problem of parking several thousand refugees somewhere on a planet who's resources are already stretched out. Then there's the religious problem, an alien culture dropping down in the middle of our world would be too much proof positive against so many religious beliefs--some if not many might be pushed off the edge.

G'80 for all it's myriad faults, got this one right. Maybe the colonials could just contact Al Gore as an ally .