Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 17 2009, 06:01 PM   #31
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Relativity

Temporal jurisdictional hierarchy? Oog.
Old March 18 2009, 02:08 AM   #32
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
PurpleBuddha wrote: View Post
There is not chance that this movie is intended to be in some kind of alternate time line.
Beg pardon? It's common knowledge by now that this is exactly what happens. Not only that, but it's an alternate timeline that *does not overwrite the original*.
Well, I have stayed too far away from spoilers I guess, other than watching the previews.

I have to say, setting this in an alternate time line is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and I have been a defender this movie against criticisms with a wait and see it first attitude.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:30 AM   #33
section9
Commander

Somehow, someway, I have the deep, dark, feeling that by the time this Trilogy is done, Orci and Kurtzman are going to revisit our old friend.....The Temporal Cold War.

And they'll wish they hadn't.
Old March 18 2009, 02:44 AM   #34
miraclefan
Commodore

section9 wrote: View Post
Somehow, someway, I have the deep, dark, feeling that by the time this Trilogy is done, Orci and Kurtzman are going to revisit our old friend.....The Temporal Cold War.
WOO-HOO!The NX-O1, and Capt.Archer, Finally on the ''BIG'' screen!(I'd much prefer a ''Phase II'' ENT series, but I'll take what I can get!)

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 09:16 AM   #35
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why do I care if this guy creates a seperate timeline if there's no danger to the original one?
Perhaps that's the real tragedy. Perhaps Spock couldn't save the original timeline since he ended up in/created a new, alternate timeline. We might never find out (other than in TrekLit, for what it's worth) what happened to the original timeline after Spock left.
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil

Last edited by The Academic; March 18 2009 at 10:36 AM.
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 09:26 AM   #36
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

You know, Relativity sure is kind of a weird name for a ship in Star Trek.

I mean, what are her sister-ships' names, the U.S.S. Geocentric Cosmological Model? The U.S.S. Ghosts Cause Cholera?
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2009, 12:17 AM   #37
roguephoenix
Captain

did they ever mention if this was a federation only operation or is time travel in the future a piece of tech that other factions/races/organizations are able to use and have at their arsenal?
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2009, 03:12 AM   #38
M'Sharak

roguephoenix wrote: View Post
did they ever mention if this was a federation only operation or is time travel in the future a piece of tech that other factions/races/organizations are able to use and have at their arsenal?
Old March 24 2009, 02:27 AM   #39
roguephoenix
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...a small Vulcan time-ship (presumably Spock's, seen in the November and March trailers) and the Narada (Nero's ship, originally a mining vessel of some sort and not originally intended for time travel) and I think that's all we've been told about, officially speaking.
i meant the relativity. it seems like a federation ship but not sure if it's one of those things that may be built by federation but under the scrutiny of various other factions like how the stargate may be based in the united states but there is an international committee overseeing it's general operation and use.
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 02:38 AM   #40
TheMadCloner
Lieutenant

I've always assumed the Relativity and other "timeships" had some sort of temporal shielding (insert Treknobabble here) that protected them from changes in the timeline in "their" universe. So yes, I would assume they would literally have all the time in the universe to fix things that happened in the past.
TheMadCloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 02:58 AM   #41
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I just re-read most of this thread. It hurts my brain.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2009, 04:34 AM   #42
M'Sharak

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...a small Vulcan time-ship (presumably Spock's, seen in the November and March trailers) and the Narada (Nero's ship, originally a mining vessel of some sort and not originally intended for time travel) and I think that's all we've been told about, officially speaking.
i meant the relativity. it seems like a federation ship but not sure if it's one of those things that may be built by federation but under the scrutiny of various other factions like how the stargate may be based in the united states but there is an international committee overseeing it's general operation and use.
Okay, I see. The Relativity is a Federation Starfleet ship with a Starfleet crew, but the Memory Alpha article also mentions that the ship's dedication plaque contains reference to a Temporal Integrity Commission, the exact nature of which is not explained.
Old May 9 2009, 06:49 AM   #43
nx1701g
Admiral

Paging Captain Braxton of the Federation Timeship Relativity...

SPOILERS

Wouldn't Captain Braxton or another member of the Federation's Temporal Branch be assigned to integrate the timelines?
Old May 9 2009, 06:52 AM   #44
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Paging Captain Braxton of the Federation Timeship Relativity...

Personally, I would live a happy life if I never heard of Captain Braxton and all the other 29th century nonsense again. I think it never made a lick of sense and (sadly) they took their own concept way too seriously.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 06:54 AM   #45
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Paging Captain Braxton of the Federation Timeship Relativity...

Been discussed before, what happened, happened, heh.

But I agree with you, since people of the 29th century and on can scan time with sensors like sensors scan space, they should have seen instantly when the Narada went into the past, and went to investigate.

However, one reason they might not have is because it was a natural event in the timeline, and not a synthetic event.

For example, when Voyager went to 1996, it was an accident caused by a future time agent failing in his job to destroy Voyager, and they were pulled into the past.

When Spock destroyed the supernova with red matter, that created a time rift, but that was always meant to happen, or something, I dunno, now I'm confused.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote