Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old March 18 2009, 11:57 AM   #16
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: TMP's uniforms

It's that a bio belt, it's a black box. Something has got to survive from all those Red Shirt killings of the past.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:40 PM   #17
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

The God Thing wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
Do you really believe it was that and not simply more of Roddenberry's teenage male approach to sex through which he tried to shoehorn as much cheap romance novel crap into Trek as he could? I suspect the latter.
Why on Earth couldn't it have been both?

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
I would not have had that useless and unused bio-monitor on the belly either.
Just because the perscan technology wasn't described in dialog doesn't mean that the devices were "useless and unused" considering that they were directly inspired by NASA's biobelt instrumentation developed for the Apollo Program. When one takes into account that starship crewmembers are routinely exposed to alien biospheres on a more or less weekly basis while on a 5YM the necessity of just such an uninterrupted biotelemetry system should become self-evident.

TGT

It's useless and unused because it contributed NOTHING to the plot/script. What was the point? We didn't even see it used. And it took away from the uniforms and was probably kind of distracting to the audience "What is that black box on their bellies?"

What can I say? I didn't care for them.

Had they been used in the story in some way, I could have gotten past it...but they weren't. I agree, the idea was cool...but it was, basically, an idea that went unused. Christopher's idea above would have been cool.

On Space:1999, year one, they had these wrist monitors. At least those were shown in use in one episode.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:47 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

It's useless and unused because it contributed NOTHING to the plot/script. What was the point? We didn't even see it used. It was just a belt buckle as far as the audience was concerned.
The point is to create a future world with believable texture and detail. There's no story point to the graphic displays on the consoles or the signage around the ship, but that doesn't mean it was wrong to go to the trouble of working out in detail how the consoles functioned and writing detailed instructions on the signage even though it would be too small for the camera to read. It's good filmmaking to incorporate a level of detail beyond what's significant to the story, because it creates the sense of a larger, fuller world that the story is just visiting.

And I thought the belt monitors looked cool. They didn't "take away" from the uniforms. They looked futuristic and functional, like they served a purpose, even if it wasn't clear what the purpose was. They were certainly better than all those useless metal pins and gold braid and frippery on the TWOK uniforms, which were obviously just decorative.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Duane
Captain

TMP uniforms are the most realistic. Visually a bit boring. Wrath of Khan uniforms were so thick and heavy. They must have been torture for the actors to wear.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:56 PM   #20
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
The point is to create a future world with believable texture and detail.

...it creates the sense of a larger, fuller world that the story is just visiting.

They looked futuristic and functional, like they served a purpose, even if it wasn't clear what the purpose was.
I totally agree. A costume designer on a science fiction show works out things like a black box on a belt even if it is not used. Actually if it holds something then the prop master must design and make the prop that the actor uses.

While it goes beyond the topic of this thread
There's no story point to the graphic displays on the consoles or the signage around the ship, but that doesn't mean it was wrong to go to the trouble of working out in detail how the consoles functioned and writing detailed instructions on the signage even though it would be too small for the camera to read.
The production designer on a science fiction show has to design a world.
The level of detail is what makes a film/TV show more believeable.
All of the work that the Production Designer, Art Director, and Set Decorator did on the 1999 feature film "Fight Club" creating a house they built from scratch for exterior and interior scenes gave it so much more realism.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 03:27 PM   #21
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's useless and unused because it contributed NOTHING to the plot/script. What was the point? We didn't even see it used. It was just a belt buckle as far as the audience was concerned.
And I thought the belt monitors looked cool. They didn't "take away" from the uniforms.

Well, to me they did. And you can't compare those to a bridge monitor. Bridge monitors weren't in your face all the time like the characters are.

Oh well...let's agree to disagree. I just think if it's on the screen...or rather an actor...it should have a purpose that serves the script.

But, I'm crazy that way. I'm crazy in a lot of other ways too...but I am crazy like that about pointless and unused technology attached to characters.

Just looking "kewl" isn't enough for me.
Old March 18 2009, 03:44 PM   #22
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I just think if it's on the screen...or rather an actor...it should have a purpose that serves the script.

about pointless and unused technology attached to characters.
I realize this thread is under ST:TMP but is your argument only for a feature film or if they are wearing it on a TV series for say 4 episodes and then in episode 5 if it is used according to a plot point in the script wouldn't it be proper as part of their uniform tools?

A TriCorder is usually used on a planet but on say Voyager a medical Tricorder is not used by the doctor until it is needed.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 03:46 PM   #23
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I just think if it's on the screen...or rather an actor...it should have a purpose that serves the script.

about pointless and unused technology attached to characters.
I realize this thread is under ST:TMP but is your argument only for a feature film or if they are wearing it on a TV series for say 4 episodes and then in episode 5 if it is used according to a plot point in the script wouldn't it be proper as part of their uniform tools?

A TriCorder is usually used on a planet but on say Voyager a medical Tricorder is not used by the doctor until it is needed.
Nah, I was just talking about in the context of TMP. Now if it was used in a series...we'd probably see the thing used at some point. That, I could get behind...

Or they should have kept those uniforms for the other films. You know, they could have had McCoy check the reading on the thing after the Ceti Eel leaves Chekov in TWOK...something like that would have been cool.
Old March 18 2009, 04:19 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Oh well...let's agree to disagree. I just think if it's on the screen...or rather an actor...it should have a purpose that serves the script.
The script is only one element in creating a film. The purpose of much of what's on the screen in any film is to go beyond the script, to create a world. To sell the illusion that the story doesn't simply exist in a vacuum, but is taking place within a larger reality.

Sometimes in a Law & Order episode, you'll see the cops wearing black mourning bands across their badges, even though there's nothing in the script about a cop being killed. Is that wrong for them to do? Hell, no. Because it makes sense. New York is a big city, with far more going on in it than any one show can depict. Knowing that a police officer was killed recently may have no bearing on the script, but it contributes to the illusion that the show takes place in a larger, credible world, that there are things going on in that world beyond what you see on camera.

Limiting yourself to the script alone is the worst thing you can possibly do as a filmmaker. The script is just the beginning of the process.

Old March 18 2009, 07:44 PM   #25
WendellM
Commodore

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
The actual real life military does not have, nor has it ever had, a rainbow collection of colored uniforms...
Generally true, though to be complete, USN carrier deck crews are an exception (but perhaps jerseys aren't really "uniforms"):

More here.
WendellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Bright color coding probably makes good sense in an environment like the deck of an aircraft carrier, where it can be helpful to know who's who at a distance. It doesn't seem quite as practical in the corridors of a starship.

Old March 18 2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Stardate
Fleet Captain

I like the TMP uniform specially Kirk admiral uniform and McCoy white uniform.
Old March 18 2009, 08:08 PM   #28
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I'm all for getting rid of the women's uniforms.

All they should wear is that black box thingy and a Starfleet delta.

Who's with me?!
Old March 18 2009, 09:53 PM   #29
S'kai
Captain

roger1999 wrote: View Post
TMP uniforms are the most realistic. Visually a bit boring. Wrath of Khan uniforms were so thick and heavy. They must have been torture for the actors to wear.
They still are. The people who make uniforms for costuming warn about this. They are made of wool, lined, double breasted, and over another layer. Most unpleasant in hot weather.

Probably no fun under camera lights either. Probably had extra people on the set just to mot the sweat off the actors before each take.
Old March 18 2009, 10:08 PM   #30
WendellM
Commodore

S'kai wrote: View Post
roger1999 wrote: View Post
Wrath of Khan uniforms were so thick and heavy.
They are made of wool, lined, double breasted, and over another layer. Most unpleasant in hot weather.
Good thing that "it is very cold... in spaaace."
WendellM is offline   Reply With Quote