Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Transformers: Animated returns

I don't know how many people were watching Transformers: Animated, but it returned for a third season on saturday with a special movie-length episode called "Transwarped" (really just the first three episodes stuck together).

It picked up straight after the cliff-hanger from the end of Season 2 ("A Bridge Too Close") and I was very impressed. It was the right combination of action-packed and plot-driven. The tone is kept consistently light, but there are some deeper moments, often in flashbacks to the great war and the characters continue to evolve - some literally.

And if you're a G1 fan and you like G1 homages - oh my - there's a raft of them in this, and even same homages to non-G1 characters, which is a rarity. (Hot Shot gets a cameo).

I won't go through the plot unless it turns out that people have seen it, for fear of spoilers, but, if you like Transformers at all, its well worth checking out.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Transformers: Animated returns

I was wondering if the show would ever come back. Anyway, I saw the first two parts and what they're doing with Sari is pretty fascinating stuff. I'm surprised that they made her so accepting of her situation though. I was also surprised to see a character called "Rodimus" who's supposed to be this show's version of Rodimus Prime. I hope we see more of him.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

I missed it. I checked Zap2It for info on rebroadcasts, and it lists three half-hour showings of episodes called "Transwarped" on Friday the 27th and the following Monday and Tuesday at 6 AM. Would those be the three parts of the premiere?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I was wondering if the show would ever come back. Anyway, I saw the first two parts and what they're doing with Sari is pretty fascinating stuff. I'm surprised that they made her so accepting of her situation though. I was also surprised to see a character called "Rodimus" who's supposed to be this show's version of Rodimus Prime. I hope we see more of him.
Yeah he was great. In fact that first battle was just excellent - and also featured a cameo by an "Animated" version of Brawn, which was fun. As for Sari, that's probably a result of it being a kid's show - a kid with powers is kind of a wish fulfillment thing in this context - rather than an "oh God what's happening to me!?" scenario like it would be in real life.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I missed it. I checked Zap2It for info on rebroadcasts, and it lists three half-hour showings of episodes called "Transwarped" on Friday the 27th and the following Monday and Tuesday at 6 AM. Would those be the three parts of the premiere?
I think they must be. I don't know if the parts have individual names but the whole "movie" was called "Transwarped".
Old March 18 2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

I was impressed with "Transwarped" as well Bishbot

I loved all the G1 references. Any non-G1 references that went over my head due to my ignorance of non-G1 TFs is still grvy & I'm all for it. Tis'good for fanonuity

I second Bishbot's call to TF aficionados to check out "Transwarped"

You won't be Sari
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Yeah he was great. In fact that first battle was just excellent - and also featured a cameo by an "Animated" version of Brawn, which was fun. As for Sari, that's probably a result of it being a kid's show - a kid with powers is kind of a wish fulfillment thing in this context - rather than an "oh God what's happening to me!?" scenario like it would be in real life.
Ironhide also made an appearance.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Bishbot wrote: View Post
Ironhide also made an appearance.
That's true, but he'd been in the show before, so I sort of forgot that he was a G1 reference - I love his Colossus like power though.
Old March 18 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

My son loves this show and I think it's pretty good myself, have the first two seasons been released on DVD yet by any chance?
cb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 07:46 PM   #9
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

cb31 wrote: View Post
My son loves this show and I think it's pretty good myself, have the first two seasons been released on DVD yet by any chance?
Yes, both season one and two are on DVD.

The opening battle actually referenced a lot of different Generations. If you look at who was in it:

AUTOBOTS
Rodimus (G1)
Brawn (G1)
Ironhide (G1)
Hot Shot (Armada)
Red Alert (G1-Armada hybrid reference)

DECEPTICONS
Cyclonus (G1)
Blackout (Movie 2007)
Spittor (Beast Wars and RiD)
Strika (Beast Machines)

The Cosmic Rust reference was awesome too!

I was also tickled that a Headmaster AND Action Master were referenced in the same sequence later on.

Awesome stuff indeed.
Old March 18 2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hey antone know if there are plans for appearances by Unicron or Glavatron.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Hey antone know if there are plans for appearances by Unicron or Glavatron.
Just a hunch, but I suspect they might avoid doing Unicron again so soon after the last few series, the so-called "Unicron Trilogy" of "Armada", "Energon" and "Cybertron" (those shows aren't as good as the rather evocative title suggests).

Galvatron, I reckon all bets are off.