New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 18 2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Legend of the Seeker - The Most Under Rated Series?

I just read this article and was wondering who else watches Legend of the Seeker? I've been watching it since the first episode. I didn't realize it was scoring as well at the IMDB and TVGuide as the article mentions, but I can say I haven't seen an episode yet that has disappointed me. It goes on to say that the series has been picked up for a second season and I know I'll continue to watch it.

Who else is enjoying Legend of the Seeker?

Neil
Old March 18 2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Top41

Re: Legend of the Seeker - The Most Under Rated Series?

I've been watching it this whole season, too, and really enjoying it. The episodes keep getting better and better. I thought the last one, "Conversion," where Richard finally faces off with Darken Rahl and the bad wizard tried to take Kahlan's Confessor powers was awesome! I've not watched a lot of fantasy shows/movies, but I really like this one and the world its set in.

And Darken Rahl has hot arms. [/shallow]
Old March 18 2009, 01:18 AM   #3
Peak
Fleet Captain

The problem for me (at least) is that it is to different from the book series.

Not that the book series is really good, it ins't (although the first books are quite passable fantasy-books), but there is a little voice from the books in the back of my head that screams "This didn't happen in US!" all the time.

I will see the series eventually, but I wait until the season is over and watch them all over a few days. And try to be impartial, however difficult this will be.

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Top41

I've only read part of Wizard's First Rule (about 200 pages in ) so I don't really have that for comparison, which might help. I always kind of expect a TV show is going to differ from the books, though, if for no other reason than that a show has to sustain a totally different kind of energy than a book. Books can take time with descriptions and build up where TV shows can't.

I hope the show will be out on DVD soon! I definitely want to watch some episodes again.
Old March 18 2009, 01:23 AM   #5
galleywest
Hallowed Weenie

I adore Legend of the Seeker, which is unusual for me. It's not usually my type of thing, the fantasy series, but I find the three leads engaging--especially Bruce Spence, Puppeteer is a personal favorite--and like the storyline. It's a show that seems to enjoy itself all around (the actors always seem to be having a good time with the material) and even when it's a little cheesy or cliche I feel like it's genuinely entertaining. I never miss an episode, and yay for Hulu which has them all online.

And no, Top41, you are not alone in noticing the high eye-candy quotient.
Old March 18 2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

You can watch them at hulu right now. I think my favorite episode so far was "Puppeteer".

Neil
Old March 18 2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer

I find it moderately entertaining, but nothing special. The leads are amiable but mediocre talents. The violence is excessive; at least when these same producers made Xena, they acknowledged the cost of violence and made it a moral dilemma rather than just gee-whiz action.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Top41

galleywest wrote: View Post
I adore Legend of the Seeker, which is unusual for me. It's not usually my type of thing, the fantasy series, but I find the three leads engaging--especially Bruce Spence, Puppeteer is a personal favorite--and like the storyline. It's a show that seems to enjoy itself all around (the actors always seem to be having a good time with the material) and even when it's a little cheesy or cliche I feel like it's genuinely entertaining. I never miss an episode, and yay for Hulu which has them all online.

And no, Top41, you are not alone in noticing the high eye-candy quotient.
Yeah, I really like them all, too! I think Bridget Regan is especially good as Kahlan. Richard and Rahl are both hotties, too.

Indysolo wrote: View Post
You can watch them at hulu right now. I think my favorite episode so far was "Puppeteer".

Neil
"Puppeteer" seems to be a favorite with a lot of people! I really liked it as well. The lighter tone was fun, as were Zedd's interactions with Rahl.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I find it moderately entertaining, but nothing special. The leads are amiable but mediocre talents. The violence is excessive; at least when these same producers made Xena, they acknowledged the cost of violence and made it a moral dilemma rather than just gee-whiz action.
I'm glad it's not really cheesy or filled with totally fluffy action scenes where people are chopping off heads left and right and not batting an eyelash. I never watched Xena or Hercules, and though I hear they were fun--and long-running!--shows, I don't think the total camp factor would be to my taste. I like that Legend of the Seeker has a more serious tone.
Old March 18 2009, 02:32 AM   #9
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

I miss the mudd people....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Othello
Commodore

I am greatly enjoying this new series. It will certainly be a DVD pickup as well.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 03:16 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Top41 wrote: View Post
I'm glad it's not really cheesy or filled with totally fluffy action scenes where people are chopping off heads left and right and not batting an eyelash. I never watched Xena or Hercules, and though I hear they were fun--and long-running!--shows, I don't think the total camp factor would be to my taste. I like that Legend of the Seeker has a more serious tone.
Not really. Yes, Hercules and Xena could go to really zany places when they went for comedy, but when they went for drama it was some of the most intense, compelling, gut-wrenching stuff you've ever seen. Either way they went, they pulled out all the stops and weren't afraid to take chances. There was a daring and exuberance to it that was admirable even when the chances they took didn't quite turn out right. Legend of the Seeker is much more middle-of-the-road. It doesn't have their uninhibited goofiness, but it doesn't have their dramatic boldness and passion either. And the cast isn't nearly as talented.

Although the occasional HERC/XENA veteran is bound to show up from time to time, New Zealand having a smallish talent pool. Jay Laga'aia, who plays Richard's friend Chase, was a recurring foe/love interest of Xena's (and was in fact the villain in her series' premiere episode). And just a few weeks ago, in the episode in the tomb with the ghosts of the ancient Seeker and Confessor, we got guest appearances by both Michael Hurst (Iolaus on HERC and one of New Zealand's most acclaimed Shakespearean actors) and Nathaniel Lees (who played at least half a dozen roles in the Herc/Xenaverse and has been in everything from The Matrix to Power Rangers). In fact, we've gotten several cast members from Power Rangers Jungle Fury showing up here, including Lees, Richard's older brother, and the betrothed couple in the episode where the groom-to-be switched identities with Richard. Keeping an eye out for familiar Kiwi actors is one of my main reasons for watching the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 03:42 AM   #12
Kelthaz
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Top41 wrote: View Post
Not really. Yes, Hercules and Xena could go to really zany places when they went for comedy, but when they went for drama it was some of the most intense, compelling, gut-wrenching stuff you've ever seen. Either way they went, they pulled out all the stops and weren't afraid to take chances. There was a daring and exuberance to it that was admirable even when the chances they took didn't quite turn out right. Legend of the Seeker is much more middle-of-the-road. It doesn't have their uninhibited goofiness, but it doesn't have their dramatic boldness and passion either. And the cast isn't nearly as talented.
That's exactly the problem I have with the show. It's neither as dramatic or as wacky as Hercules or Xena. What I loved about both Hercules and Xena was their willingness to completely go with an idea. The shows had no limit on wackiness or melodrama. Legend of the Seeker is too pedestrian -- too safe.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 04:02 AM   #13
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I'm not a fan of this show yet per se (it's quite watchable sometimes) but I find this show's tone much more agreeable than Hercules or Xena. I will agree it's more straight-laced than them, but that's what Raimi wanted to do. He didn't want to revisit his old shows' style. And post-LOTR trilogy, that type of fantasy is currently passé.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2009, 05:51 AM   #14
galleywest
Hallowed Weenie

I'll agree with that--the wackiness totally turned me off Xena and Hercules. I see why other people found it appealing and it could be quite watchable at times, but on the whole I found the constant tongue-in-cheek hardy-har-har humor a bit much. Enough already! I like that this is more serious in tone.
Old March 18 2009, 05:53 AM   #15
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

I've been catching clips of this at random time on the local Fox channel here I think.

It's been a very, very long time since I've watched an original, syndicated television show, let alone a sci-fi syndicated televison show on over-the-air network (not cable).

Reminds me of the good years long ago where you had TONS of syndicated shows. Xena, Herucules, Beastmaster, Earth: Final Conflict, etc, etc,.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote