Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 16 2009, 09:39 AM   #16
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Re: Resident Evil 5

wasn't it accused of being racist?
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2009, 10:31 AM   #17
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

N'gai Croal wrote an editorial on his former blog about the trailer the images associated with the game - a white man shooting savage black people.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2009, 01:24 PM   #18
Jax
Admiral

This is the most action type RES game ever (excluding flash gun games) but its the accumlation of all previous stories, RES 5 is the end of the plot that started back in RES 1 so I can understand all the action. Also apparantly the producer of RES 5 came out and said RES 6 could be some sort of re-boot for the franchise.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2009, 07:54 PM   #19
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

That kinda disappoints me. If this is "The End" then I would have really liked to have the whole main cast there. It doesn't seem "epic" enough for the the end of this storyline.
Old March 16 2009, 11:34 PM   #20
clint g
Admiral

I get the feeling this really wont be the end. After all, there are still places for the franchise to go and there is already 1 new game confirmed in this setting; Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.
Old March 17 2009, 12:43 AM   #21
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Darkside Chronicles is a rail shooter remake of 2 and CV. There's not going to be really any new plot in that one.
Old March 17 2009, 01:11 AM   #22
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
The AI has two modes, Attack (Offensive) and Cover (Defensive). The default is Cover. If you switch it to Attack, Sheva will become much more aggressive and start at the top of her weapon list instead of the bottom. I haven't played with it on for long periods, so I cannot comment as to whether that would be a good idea or not. You make the switch by holding the "partner" button and selecting the mode with the D-pad.
I tried doing that today but it didn't seem to affect Sheva at all, it just changed my weapons.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 04:17 AM   #23
nx1701g
Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
N'gai Croal wrote an editorial on his former blog about the trailer the images associated with the game - a white man shooting savage black people.
There was another attack on it claiming it to be racist a couple of days ago. I also saw it on CNN with the same accusation.
Old March 17 2009, 04:21 AM   #24
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

All I want to know is does this game have crazy people yelling at you in Spanish like 4 does?
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 05:59 AM   #25
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Since it takes place in Africa,no.
Old March 17 2009, 07:09 AM   #26
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

The infected don't seem to say as much stuff in Resident Evil 5 as they do in RE4. Nothing as memorable as (and I know I'm butchering the spelling, I never took Spanish and I'm a horrible speller) "Uh Vor estella"

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 09:27 AM   #27
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
T.Geiger wrote: View Post
The AI has two modes, Attack (Offensive) and Cover (Defensive). The default is Cover. If you switch it to Attack, Sheva will become much more aggressive and start at the top of her weapon list instead of the bottom. I haven't played with it on for long periods, so I cannot comment as to whether that would be a good idea or not. You make the switch by holding the "partner" button and selecting the mode with the D-pad.
I tried doing that today but it didn't seem to affect Sheva at all, it just changed my weapons.
On the PS3 version keep circle button, B button on 360 pressed...
Where your healthmeters are there should pop up 2 options for Sheva: attack and cover, use the d-pad to select one...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 11:33 AM   #28
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
firehawk12 wrote: View Post
There was another attack on it claiming it to be racist a couple of days ago. I also saw it on CNN with the same accusation.
I didn't see that on CNN. But I checked up some of what N'gai Croal wrote. I think he's nailed the problem I'm having with the images or why the game makes me feel uncomfortable in a way RE4 does not.

The image of white people killing 'savage' dark-skinned people simply has a very long history. It brings with it a lot of associations that are difficult to forget, really.

So whether or not this is what the developers intended, it brings up memories of very bad times in the world's history. Maybe the developers were not aware of this or aware of how some people might react.
Old March 17 2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Cky
Captain

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Darkside Chronicles is a rail shooter remake of 2 and CV. There's not going to be really any new plot in that one.
Well, from what we've seen so far Darkside Chronicles will be (yet again) a remake of Resident Evil 2 and CV, although that's all we've seen and that is all Capcom are willing to release at this point. Remember that when Umbrella Chronicles was released, Capcom simply stated that it was a remake of Resident Evil 1 and 3, and gave no mention of 4th Survivor, Rebecca and Richard's story, Wesker's multiple storys, and finally what happened 2 years before Resident Evil 4 (Russia).

Personally, I can see Darkside Chronicles having a story involving breaking in to the Spencer Mansion as seen in Resident Evil 5, we didn't see anything else of that mansion except from outside of the main room and inside the grand hall. Then we don't know what happened to Chris after Jill and Wesker went out of the window, I'll take a hunch that Spencer could mutate in to a Tyrant, afterall he is one of the founding members of Umbrella that seemingly wasn't injected with any virus.

But Resident Evil 5, I'm playing through it again, this time on amateur to collect all of the emblems, and I'm playing co-op on professional with my friend, and I'm still blown away by it. Granted it doesn't feel like the old Resident Evil games, there isn't much exploration and not much puzzle solving, and the AI seems sometimes worse than Resident Evil Zero, but in a way it still does feel like a Resident Evil game.

It's a shame that Capcom are adament that Resident Evil 6 will be a complete re-boot of the franchise.
Old March 17 2009, 12:11 PM   #30
Rii
Rear Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
The infected don't seem to say as much stuff in Resident Evil 5 as they do in RE4.
The obvious implication being that Europeans are more intelligent and articulate than Africans.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote