Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2009, 04:05 AM   #31
Buck Rogers
Captain

Re: Marvel release dates: Thor and The Avengers delayed a year

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Pushing The Avengers back to 2012 raises the possibility that Favreau could possibly direct it.

It's good that they're giving the films more time rather than rushing them, but they've now got a lot more risk concentrated in the summer of 2011 in terms of their self-financed films. Their previous plan for their self-financed slate had one surefire hit (Iron Man 2 and The Avengers respectively) and one potentially risky release (Thor and Captain America respectively) in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Now they have the two potentially risky releases together in the summer of 2011.
It was reported in advanced iron.org website that Fav's will be directing Avengers after IM3 is post-production,and ready for release.

Buck Rogers
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 04:18 AM   #32
Dream
Admiral

Buck Rogers wrote: View Post
Pushing The Avengers back to 2012 raises the possibility that Favreau could possibly direct it.

It's good that they're giving the films more time rather than rushing them, but they've now got a lot more risk concentrated in the summer of 2011 in terms of their self-financed films. Their previous plan for their self-financed slate had one surefire hit (Iron Man 2 and The Avengers respectively) and one potentially risky release (Thor and Captain America respectively) in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Now they have the two potentially risky releases together in the summer of 2011.
It was reported in advanced iron.org website that Fav's will be directing Avengers after IM3 is post-production,and ready for release.

Buck Rogers
That's great to hear. The last thing I want is a hack director taking over the third Iron Man while Jon Favreau is distracted with something else.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 05:04 AM   #33
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

There's speculation and rumors that he'll direct The Avengers, but nothing has been officially announced yet (although I think the speculation is very likely to turn out to be correct). But if he does direct it, it would be after Iron Man 2, not Iron Man 3.
Old March 17 2009, 05:15 AM   #34
Dream
Admiral

There's speculation and rumors that he'll direct The Avengers, but nothing has been officially announced yet (although I think the speculation is very likely to turn out to be correct). But if he does direct it, it would be after Iron Man 2, not Iron Man 3.
If they are serious about making The Avengers they have to delay Iron Man 3 then. They can't have Favreau making two films at the same time.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 01:05 PM   #35
FreezeC77
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Moving Captain America to one week after Deathly Hallows II is a big mistake. They should bump it up to Friday, July 1--the Fourth of July weekend.
How the heck can Captain America NOT BE a July 4th release?

It just friggin sells itself lol.

Or Memorial Day can work from that aspect as well. I like the July 4th setting a bit more.

DVD release for Veteran's day
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 12:59 AM   #36
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

the Thor comicbook run is over

Marvel Comments On JMS Leaving Thor
http://comics.ign.com/articles/999/999735p1.html
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 01:29 AM   #37
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It's Branaugh, so even if the movie isn't a massive success it'll at least be worth going to for the sheer larger-than-life element he'd bring to it. Wonder if he'll cast himself in any of the roles.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 02:25 AM   #38
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post

All that says is that JMS's run is over. I didn't see anything about the series being over.
Old July 2 2009, 03:00 AM   #39
Welshie
Lieutenant

Anwar wrote: View Post
It's Branaugh, so even if the movie isn't a massive success it'll at least be worth going to for the sheer larger-than-life element he'd bring to it. Wonder if he'll cast himself in any of the roles.
It's possible. However, he's already managed to find the perfect Odin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaDibW_BTvg
Welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 03:34 AM   #40
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I was hoping he'd cast himself as Loki, but I suppose maybe he is too old now. Damn shame, since he was great as Iago.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 08:11 AM   #41
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Captain America is only a camp character if he's written that way. True, that tends to be the portrayal usually associated with the character, but one can look to the Ultimate line for an example of the perils that come with such naiveté and nationalist attachment. And while this film will, by all indications, take place mostly if not entirely in the WWII period, an Avengers movie can reduce or outright eliminate any camp factor with a more realistic, nuanced portrayal of a man experiencing the culture shock of seventy years' worth of social progress. (I'd love to see a scene such as this in an Avengers film: Cap challenges Fury about the ethics of some action saying it goes against his principles, or else questions whether the present [which would seem very loose and immoral from his perspective] is worth defending; Fury responds by telling him, in brief, about "Truth" and all the black men who were involuntarily experimented upon so that he could be created; the look on Steve Rogers' face as he is forced to confront the ugly side to his own idealistic existence).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
If they do ANYTHING with "Ultimate Cap" or the Truth story, I will have nothing to do with either the Cap solo OR the Avengers that is based on it.

I'm SICK of seeing Cap "deconsructed" (ie torn down and rendered ignoble) for the jaded, so-called sensitivities of the modern audience.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 08:30 AM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post

All that says is that JMS's run is over. I didn't see anything about the series being over.
It's not. JMS is leaving Thor because he made the book popular enough that it was going to be the focus of the next crossover event. And JMS didn't want to coordinate with a crossover, so he walked away.
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 09:58 AM   #43
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Good on them for not rushing things.

So far the Avenger "tie ins" like Iron Man and Hulk (2008) have been awesome. Well cast and made by people who respect and understand the characters and stories.

Thor seems in good hands too and all that remains is finding the right people for Cap America.

If that means the Avengers movie is being pushed back a year to get the other movies comfortably in place before combining it all together. Avengers has the possibility to be THE blockbuster of 2012 if done right so i hope they do it right both storywise and characterwise.

And i just can't wait to see Cap yell "Avengers Assemble!" (i'll be the guy who then yells "Hell Yeah! )
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:11 PM   #44
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Someone compared the naysayers' griping about this project to the griping about Star Wars never getting done. That's not a very good comparison. You see Star Wars got done because it had one person with one vision. Love him or hate him, George Lucas was that person who was able to get people together and get things done. Where is that person when it comes to the Avengers project? The person who is able to get these various egos like Favareau, Downey, Branagh and the like and to say "This is what's going to be done and this is how it's going to be done and if you don't like it, you can go fuck yourself with a churro!"? This is a massive undertaking, and with the will he/won't he contract negotiations not too long ago along with the changing release dates (which won't end I predict), this is becoming more of a "too many chiefs and not enough indians" scenario. Sorry to play devil's advocate, but show me that person with that leadership position, and I'll be convinced that this is moving forward successfully.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 04:54 PM   #45
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I do believe the 'Chief' is Kevin Friege, head of Marvel Studios. I would wager that contract negotions have been accounted for on just how this whole Avengers Assemble movie is going to come together. Favreau, Downey and Norton all knew they were part of a growing puzzle. Marvel Studios signed Jackson to a 10 picture deal, obviously Samuel Jackson is in on the 'big picture. I just have to believe that before signing and coming on board Branagh, the cast of Thor and who ever ends up doing Captain America will have the details all laid out in front of them regarding 'the plan'.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote