Resident Evil 5

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Mar 14, 2009.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Darkside Chronicles is a rail shooter remake of 2 and CV. There's not going to be really any new plot in that one.

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried doing that today but it didn't seem to affect Sheva at all, it just changed my weapons.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

There was another attack on it claiming it to be racist a couple of days ago. I also saw it on CNN with the same accusation.

4. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I want to know is does this game have crazy people yelling at you in Spanish like 4 does?

5. OdoWanKenobi

Since it takes place in Africa,no.

6. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The infected don't seem to say as much stuff in Resident Evil 5 as they do in RE4. Nothing as memorable as (and I know I'm butchering the spelling, I never took Spanish and I'm a horrible speller) "Uh Vor estella"

7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

On the PS3 version keep circle button, B button on 360 pressed...
    Where your healthmeters are there should pop up 2 options for Sheva: attack and cover, use the d-pad to select one...

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't see that on CNN. But I checked up some of what N'gai Croal wrote. I think he's nailed the problem I'm having with the images or why the game makes me feel uncomfortable in a way RE4 does not.

The image of white people killing 'savage' dark-skinned people simply has a very long history. It brings with it a lot of associations that are difficult to forget, really.

So whether or not this is what the developers intended, it brings up memories of very bad times in the world's history. Maybe the developers were not aware of this or aware of how some people might react.

9. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Well, from what we've seen so far Darkside Chronicles will be (yet again) a remake of Resident Evil 2 and CV, although that's all we've seen and that is all Capcom are willing to release at this point. Remember that when Umbrella Chronicles was released, Capcom simply stated that it was a remake of Resident Evil 1 and 3, and gave no mention of 4th Survivor, Rebecca and Richard's story, Wesker's multiple storys, and finally what happened 2 years before Resident Evil 4 (Russia).

Personally, I can see Darkside Chronicles having a story involving breaking in to the Spencer Mansion as seen in Resident Evil 5, we didn't see anything else of that mansion except from outside of the main room and inside the grand hall. Then we don't know what happened to Chris after Jill and Wesker went out of the window, I'll take a hunch that Spencer could mutate in to a Tyrant, afterall he is one of the founding members of Umbrella that seemingly wasn't injected with any virus.

But Resident Evil 5, I'm playing through it again, this time on amateur to collect all of the emblems, and I'm playing co-op on professional with my friend, and I'm still blown away by it. Granted it doesn't feel like the old Resident Evil games, there isn't much exploration and not much puzzle solving, and the AI seems sometimes worse than Resident Evil Zero, but in a way it still does feel like a Resident Evil game.

It's a shame that Capcom are adament that Resident Evil 6 will be a complete re-boot of the franchise.

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

The obvious implication being that Europeans are more intelligent and articulate than Africans.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Why is Capcom rebooting the franchise?

12. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Don't know, but that's what they're saying. Personally I don't see the point, they're just going to have a game with a similar setting to other Resident Evil games, without the main characters. I'd just rather Resident Evil 6, and have a true ending where we actually do find out what happened to the rest of the S.T.A.R.S members, and the other survivors of Raccoon City.

13. stueyross

stueyross Captain Captain

I'm not quite sure exactly what this says about me but I'm having loads of fun shooting zombies, no matter what their colour is. hadnt even noticed that they were black, i assumed they were just rotten and mouldy.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar yknow :)

14. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I say "Who cares, it's a video game".

White people have killed FAR more other white people than black people in the past 200 years, perhaps we should start getting sensitive about that?

FFS, how is society supposed to get "beyond" racism if people are so damned sensitive over EVERYTHING they see. Are we supposed to ban all black people from being portrayed in the media in case something bad happens to them so whitey can avoid getting the blame?

For the first time, RE was set in a place where mostly black people live. Ergo, they are the ones who were zombiefied. Here's an expert who thinks the entire thing is silly and manufactured. He even mentions the fact that the game has many anti-colonial themes.

http://ps3.qj.net/It-s-silly-to-call-Resident-Evil-5-racist-says-expert/pg/49/aid/129342

15. MyCylon

Croal brought up another example I thought was very good. Imagine setting a game during the time of WWII where the zombies are skinny, starved-looking white people. And, for example (I'm building on his example here), you're playing an American soldier who has to blast his way through them for some reason (virus, infection, take your pick)

That's something I'd feel very, very uncomfortable with, to be honest. Because the images that would invoke in my mind are those of people deported by the Nazis even if the game never made this specific.

I certainly agree that there is such a thing as being oversensitive in these cases. But I also think that we're still a long way from overcoming racism and the likes. And it's NOT because some people remember these images, it's because we still fail to tackle racism and similar problems on so many levels.

I agree that blasting away dark-skinned zombies in RE5 just like you did white zombies in RE4 SHOULD not be an issue. I just think we haven't arrived there yet. And frankly, a franchise like RE, as enjoyable as it may be, is far too shallow to even begin to approach the subject in a manner that would actually help in the process of fighting racism.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not out there demanding the game be banned or anything. If you enjoy it, that's cool. But I know I don't feel comfortable with it, and now I know why.

Frankly, I assume that the developers never even thought that they might evoke negative responses to the game on this level. It's hardly fair to assume they're all experts on history. And, what's more, they're working on a franchise that's not exactly known for being 'deep'.

16. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

It's called "misplaced white liberal guilt", do try to get over it. It would be better for everyone if all us white liberals did that you know. :)

My ancestors didn't enslave anyone, in fact some of my ancestors like were slaves. I don't feel any stranger killing a black zombie than a white one, and that's the place society should be going, not one in which people feel bad about killing black zombies.

I swear to God some of the strangest sentences are written on the Internet. :lol:

17. MyCylon

I don't feel guilty about anything here, frankly. I didn't enslave anyone, and neither did my family.

That doesn't mean I have to feel comfortable being reminded of something that was wrong and still has effects on our lives today, especially if I'm being reminded of it by a game like RE.

I agree that it shouldn't make a difference whether it's a black or a white zombie. Actually, it wouldn't if you had black AND white zombies. But IMHO we're simply not at that point yet where it truly doesn't make a difference, no matter what the combination or setup. Or maybe, for better or worse, some people are.

Enjoy the game.

18. OdoWanKenobi

But there are white zombies in the game. The people that are making a big fuss are the people that love to play the racism card and thing that no black person should ever be killed by a white person in any form of media and that any use of the word black regardless of context is racist.

19. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I know, but it shows that they aren't forgetting about the current story line. Also, parts of umbrella chronicles has been referenced in RE5 so i wouldn't be shocked if something similar happens in a future game

20. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

If the protagonist was an African man the objection would be that the game depicts Africans as savages who have nothing better to do than slaughter each other, possibly with something in there about having the African protagonist bound to the (predominantly white or asian) player's will. :lol: