Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 6 2009, 08:22 AM   #46
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Mark Lenard & Trek Fandom

I was at a convention where he was there, and he wound up talking about a humorous story on the set of Buck Rogers.

i enjoyed meeting him. This is when I was in college, back in the early nineties. Piersis Kambata was at the same convention
Old March 6 2009, 01:05 PM   #47
Steve67
Commander

Tuln wrote: View Post
I was at a convention where he was there, and he wound up talking about a humorous story on the set of Buck Rogers.
Go on, go on!
Old March 6 2009, 10:11 PM   #48
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Being a long time trek fan, I can tell you as far back as the 70s Mr. Leonard had a great reputation with the fans. Say his name to any old time TOS fan and you can hear the sense of owe in their voice when they talk about him.

He brought about a sense of class and dignity that the writers built the entire Vulcan culture upon.

To my knowledge he was well respected by cast and crew of both TOS and TNG. I never heard a bad word about the guy.
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 06:13 AM   #49
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Steve67 wrote: View Post
Tuln wrote: View Post
Go on, go on!

my memory is vague. either he played a robot with a removable head or someone else did, and well it was just something funny that happened. I don'
t remember much. it was ten years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

He was a great guy to meet though
Old March 16 2009, 10:19 PM   #50
KobayashiMaru
Cadet

In 1976, my older sister took me to one of the conventions at NBC plaza in NYC for my 9th birthday. (We lived nearby in Long Island.) I was pretty overwhelmed and too young to fully appreciate the whole event, but one thing I remember clearly is that the first actor to speak was Mark Lenard. He was as classy, sophisticated and enthusiastic a participant as you would hope for, and I appreciated Sarek and General Urko much more for having seen him. I was glad he was able to reprise the role and give it finality in TNG.

I still have the program from that event, and Mark Lenard is clearly featured in the photographs.
KobayashiMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 02:06 AM   #51
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Mark Lenard always brought gravitas to any Trek episode or movie he appeared in. Great actor.

My one pseudo Mark Lenard story: When I was in high school, my local radio station in NYC, WNEW-FM, had this daily call-in contest called the "Morning Mind Exercise". Basically they would ask a trivia question, and the first correct caller won a prize. Well, one morning before school, celebrating the release of ST:IV, the question was:
"What actor played a Romulan, a Klingon, and Spock's father?"

I called in, and, amazingly won! I was on the air, saying, "Mark Lenard, of course!"

So with that, I won year's supply of crappy Krauser's ice cream (they sent me 52 coupons for half gallon tubs). I recall having a party and getting about 10 of them
Old March 17 2009, 02:09 AM   #52
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Go check out the second episode of the (short-lived 1980's) TV series Otherworld. Mark plays the Commandant of the Zone Troopers. He's fairly badass in that ep.

You can watch the episode online, in fact. It's on otherworldonline.org.

(plus it's loaded with other Trek actors as well, like Brian Thompson and Robert O'Reilly)
Old April 4 2009, 10:42 PM   #53
Steve67
Commander

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Go check out the second episode of the (short-lived 1980's) TV series Otherworld. Mark plays the Commandant of the Zone Troopers. He's fairly badass in that ep.

You can watch the episode online, in fact. It's on otherworldonline.org.

(plus it's loaded with other Trek actors as well, like Brian Thompson and Robert O'Reilly)
Thanks for that link! I thought I was only one of two people who actually remembered that show! And the only thing I distinctly recall is "oh, you're a ZIT!" "What's that?" "A Zone Trooper in Training!"

I wonder why the show didn't last?
Old April 5 2009, 10:55 PM   #54
FarDreaming
Lieutenant

As a teenager back in the 60s, I fell in love with Sarek, and from then on watched everything that Mark did, little knowing that in the 9 last years of his life we would actually become friends. He was one of the brightest, funniest, and, most importantly, kindest persons I have ever known, and even now, after more than 10 years I miss him greatly. He treated every fan with respect and dignity, and it always saddens me to know that many of his fans never got the chance to experience seeing him in person and the treat that was. Nothing was more amusing than when he appeared in front of an new audience which expected a solemn diginified "Sarek", and instead were shocked to an lively and animated man who loved to tell his stories, --- and some of the corniest of jokes.....
FarDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2009, 06:57 PM   #55
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

One of his other Trek contributions was occasional voice work. He performed the readings for Sarek and Federation, as well as the "historical documentary" vids included with the CD-ROM Star Trek Omnipedia. He may have done some other stuff, too, but those are what I recall offhand.

His reading of Federation makes it one of my favorite audiobooks.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 02:03 PM   #56
Steve67
Commander

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
One of his other Trek contributions was occasional voice work. He performed the readings for Sarek and Federation..

I didn't know he lived long enough to know about the SAREK novel, so that's great that he not only knew a novel was centered on his character, but that Mr. Lenard actually participated in it in a major way. I'm happy to learn of this.
Old April 9 2009, 05:35 PM   #57
FarDreaming
Lieutenant

One of his other Trek contributions was occasional voice work. He performed the readings for Sarek and Federation, as well as the "historical documentary" vids included with the CD-ROM Star Trek Omnipedia. He may have done some other stuff, too, but those are what I recall offhand.

During the last years of his life he did a lot of voice work, not only Trek, but commercials and documentary narration, along with teaching acting classes in NYC.
FarDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2009, 08:02 PM   #58
ClayinCA
Commodore

I love the Federation audiobook, too. I don't think I ever heard the one for Sarek - might have to track that one down.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 02:26 AM   #59
igrokbok
Commodore

He was certainly a solid actor, and when I saw him at a con in the mid 80's he was very gracious, funny and personable. I was certainly more "star struck" at seeing him in person than I was the other celebs there.
igrokbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 02:50 AM   #60
T J
Commodore

ClayinCA wrote: View Post

I love the Federation audiobook, too. I don't think I ever heard the one for Sarek - might have to track that one down.
A third here for my love of the Federation audio book. Sarak is a great book as well but the ending is just plain sad and heart wrenching... I have a hard time listening to it because of that.