Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 12 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
ITL
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel release dates: Thor and The Avengers delayed a year

[Grasping at straws]Multi-tasking?[/Grasping at straws]
ITL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Saul
Rear Admiral

I hope the Spider-man 4 release date doesn't make Warners push Batman to 2012 out of it's way.
Old March 12 2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
I hope the Spider-man 4 release date doesn't make Warners push Batman to 2012 out of it's way.
It looks likely that Warners has already decided to target summer 2012 for the next Batman film. They've set July 2011 for the release of the final Harry Potter film, and a 2012 release date for Batman would give Chris Nolan a reasonable amount of time to move on to a Batman sequel following Inception.
Old March 12 2009, 08:58 PM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
There's a lot of talk that may happen anyway.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2009, 09:19 PM   #20
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

I think it's more economics than anything else. "Thor" and "The Avengers" are both gonna cost BIG to produce properly. "Thor" because it's gonna have to have at least SOME fantasy "set pieces" in it, and that costs more to do than location or backlot shooting and "Avengers" because of the number of "star names" in the cast at that point.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2009, 09:33 PM   #21
clint g
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post
Actually, I think that Captain America will be a sure-fire hit since it will play well with American audiences.
Questionable; there's a heavy hurdle to overcome with him to show that he's not campy (like Superman, he's associated with the super-naive, goody-two-shoes school of superheroics). Even bigger in international markets, where movies tend to make at least half their money these days.
It does seem as if Captain America has its work cut out for it; but if they go the World War 2 route (and from what I have heard, they are) then the camp factor can be lessened. After all, it can be made into a story about an elite soldier battling Nazis, which is something that can jive with audiences
Old March 12 2009, 10:22 PM   #22
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Captain America is only a camp character if he's written that way. True, that tends to be the portrayal usually associated with the character, but one can look to the Ultimate line for an example of the perils that come with such naiveté and nationalist attachment. And while this film will, by all indications, take place mostly if not entirely in the WWII period, an Avengers movie can reduce or outright eliminate any camp factor with a more realistic, nuanced portrayal of a man experiencing the culture shock of seventy years' worth of social progress. (I'd love to see a scene such as this in an Avengers film: Cap challenges Fury about the ethics of some action saying it goes against his principles, or else questions whether the present [which would seem very loose and immoral from his perspective] is worth defending; Fury responds by telling him, in brief, about "Truth" and all the black men who were involuntarily experimented upon so that he could be created; the look on Steve Rogers' face as he is forced to confront the ugly side to his own idealistic existence).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old March 12 2009, 10:25 PM   #23
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post
Actually, I think that Captain America will be a sure-fire hit since it will play well with American audiences.
Questionable; there's a heavy hurdle to overcome with him to show that he's not campy (like Superman, he's associated with the super-naive, goody-two-shoes school of superheroics). Even bigger in international markets, where movies tend to make at least half their money these days.
It does seem as if Captain America has its work cut out for it; but if they go the World War 2 route (and from what I have heard, they are) then the camp factor can be lessened. After all, it can be made into a story about an elite soldier battling Nazis, which is something that can jive with audiences
Yeah, I figure that the first movie as a shoot-nazis-up will do well. Something like Ultimates Vol 1 #1 is what I would have in mind. Lots of action and adventure without being campy.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2009, 11:56 PM   #24
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm glad Marvel was smart to move Thor from the same weekend as Nolan's Inception. Now he has the weekend all to himself.
Old March 13 2009, 01:13 AM   #25
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Captain America is only a camp character if he's written that way. True, that tends to be the portrayal usually associated with the character, but one can look to the Ultimate line for an example of the perils that come with such naiveté and nationalist attachment. And while this film will, by all indications, take place mostly if not entirely in the WWII period, an Avengers movie can reduce or outright eliminate any camp factor with a more realistic, nuanced portrayal of a man experiencing the culture shock of seventy years' worth of social progress. (I'd love to see a scene such as this in an Avengers film: Cap challenges Fury about the ethics of some action saying it goes against his principles, or else questions whether the present [which would seem very loose and immoral from his perspective] is worth defending; Fury responds by telling him, in brief, about "Truth" and all the black men who were involuntarily experimented upon so that he could be created; the look on Steve Rogers' face as he is forced to confront the ugly side to his own idealistic existence).
I think that's a totally wrongheaded way to approach the character.

Firstly, Truth (which, technically, did not lead to his creation; it was an attempt to duplicate the process he had already underwent), while it led to Patriot, who's a cool character, was a bad addition to the Cap mythos, and it's not one you'll likely see brought into a film universe.

More significantly, Steve Rogers is not naive. That kind of approach to the character completely ignores his background; he grew up in a single-parent household in the Bronx in the 1930s. He knows the reality of World War II American society, from the grinding poverty to the many disadvantaged groups (the guy's a bleeding-heart New Dealer, in his standard portrayal); he's idealistic in spite of all that, not because he's oblivious to it. He wants the future where a black man can be elected president.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 13 2009, 11:30 AM   #26
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40410

^ Interesting article about Marvel's slate. If it's to be believed, Skaarsgard is in the running for Thor and his Dad might be Odin! Cool! And John Hartnett is up for Loki because Branagh liked his performance as Hugo/ Iago in 'O', the high school take on Othello. Makes sense, when you think about it.

-Avengers is delayed a year because of financing issues but also because the plan is for Favreau to helm it. Everybody here loves the guy and he wants to do it, but it would have been impossible for him to do before the date change given his Iron Man 2 commitments. Also partly the reason why he agreed to do the Stark sequel on such an accelerated schedule was so he could get given first dibs on this. It would still be a punishing schedule for him, so hes not firmly confirmed yet, but he is certainly the presumptive director at this point.
- Iron Man starts rehearsals in a few days, which is why the casting is finally coming together so quickly.
-Alexander Skargard is indeed Branagh’s favorite to play Thor as some sites are reporting. If all goes well and it happens then we hope to get Stellan Skarsgard for Odin (though at present Odin is only a very small cameo part in this movie).
-Loki will probably be played by Hartnett, if his pay negotiations work out. All the commentary about him wanting to do a Ledger and play a villain is B.S. though – WE APPROACHED HARTNETT because Branagh’s a big fan of the Othello adaptation O where Hartnett played Iago who is very similar character wise to how he sees Loki.
- Fox is serious about doing remakes of Daredvil and FF. They have to make new movies with these characters every few years because otherwise the options will revert to us. This point is kinda obvious but Im not sure people realise it –I havent seen anybody pointing it out anywhere. The mood around here is pretty negative about Rothman’s potential to execute these properties properly, (Im sure you know why it might be particularly negative at the moment) but we are all hoping his recent promotion will mean hes kept away from direct control of these movies.
Old March 13 2009, 11:33 AM   #27
Skywalker
Admiral

Moving Captain America to one week after Deathly Hallows II is a big mistake. They should bump it up to Friday, July 1--the Fourth of July weekend.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2009, 12:26 AM   #28
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Having announced these new target release dates just a few days ago, Marvel Studios has already, once again, changed the target release date for Thor. They now plan to release it on May 20, 2011 instead of June 17, 2011. So unless the date is changed again, that means it'll be released two weeks after Spider-Man 4.
Old March 17 2009, 02:25 AM   #29
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Having announced these new target release dates just a few days ago, Marvel Studios has already, once again, changed the target release date for Thor. They now plan to release it on May 20, 2011 instead of June 17, 2011. So unless the date is changed again, that means it'll be released two weeks after Spider-Man 4.
I guess Marvel wants Thor to fail?
Old March 17 2009, 02:56 AM   #30
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Two weeks is plenty of time in this hyper-swift film market.

- Homer Simpson