Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 16 2009, 05:23 AM   #181
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Garth Rockett wrote: View Post
I've never really felt like I need to know anything about the Opera House or the Head People. I wouldn't even be looking for answers to those questions if RDM hadn't already said they will be answered before the end.
For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture. Not curious. I guess they had enough fun bickering!

I know that sounds a bit negative. I do enjoy the series. I'll certainly miss it when it's gone but, well, nothing is perfect.

Personally I do care about the answers. I also care about the characters.

Mr Awe

Mr Awe
Old March 16 2009, 05:53 AM   #182
ladyheather69
Captain

Well I didn't vote, but if I had I would have voted above average or excellent.

Personally, I don't care that we may or may not get the answers to the questions that have been posed. It isn't about the ends...it is about the journey. At least for me it is.

And on a different note here: several posters asked about what Adama wasn't wanting to do...do you think maybe it was that he didn't want to come out of retirement and do the whole PR thing when they were going to decommission the Galatica and make her a museum? Granted I could be wrong and it could be more, but that was my first instinct.

Looking forward to the final episode. I will miss this show when it is gone!!!
Old March 16 2009, 06:16 AM   #183
Agent Richard07
Retired

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Personally I do care about the answers. I also care about the characters.
I care about seeing answers to a lot of the mythological stuff too and I'm surprised that so many don't. For me, the show is just as much about the mythology as it is about the drama. I can't imagine thinking that everything that's been set up in regards to the mythology doesn't matter or doesn't need to be addressed. I wouldn't be upset if some things were left open or unanswered, but the suggestion that absolutely none of it matters is a bit extreme if you ask me.

ladyheather69 wrote: View Post
Well I didn't vote, but if I had I would have voted above average or excellent.
I was wondering why the vote count was so low and I figured that this might be one reason.
Old March 16 2009, 06:24 AM   #184
What's his face
Rear Admiral

Honestly I was disappointed by this episode. The only part I liked (any I really enjoyed this part) was the cgi Caprica City in the first 30 seconds.

I understand that this episode was meant to set up for the finale, but in the whole episode there was about 5 minutes of plot advancement and 45 minutes of flashbacks. I think they could have used this time to advance the polt at least a little bit more.

I didn't vote but I'd call this episode below average. The only this keeping it from being poor in my eyes was that really sweet cgi scene I mentioned. That and Adama's speech at the end.
Old March 16 2009, 02:47 PM   #185
Garth Rockett
Commodore

I've never really felt like I need to know anything about the Opera House or the Head People. I wouldn't even be looking for answers to those questions if RDM hadn't already said they will be answered before the end.
For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture.
Well, let me make clear: I am interested in the bigger picture. As I indicated in the post you quoted from (perhaps a bit too obscurely), I very much wanted answers about who all the models of the Cylons were, why the final five are different, and why the other seven weren't supposed to know who the final five are. But that's been answered already. The Opera House storyline has never held much interest for me, and I prefered the mystery of not knowing if the Head Characters are real or imagined. Now that they're apparently real, that makes it a bit more ordinary (and boring) to me.

As far as the bigger picture is concerned, I still want to know how Hera fits into things, but after Daybreak Part I it's pretty obvious that that reveal is where the finale is heading, so there's no point in being anxious about getting that answer. I'm sure it will tie in with the Head People and the Opera House (the things I'm not as interested in) but that's okay.

I think it's a bit unfair to characterize my view as not being interested in the bigger picture. It's just that they've already covered the parts of the bigger picture I'm interested in in a satisfactory manner. Let's not forget that a lot has been revealed already during 4.5.
Old March 16 2009, 03:34 PM   #186
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
My line of thinking is more like Yassim's. Some viewers watch this show hoping for revelations and answers, and missed that this show has never been about those things.
You know, if the show isn't about revelations and answers, they shouldn't have set it up so there are these intriguing questions that we'd want answers to.

You may be correct that we won't get the answers. That would be a mistake after creating a fictional universe that naturally raises those questions.

If the writers are too lazy to want to answer bigger questions within a fictional universe like that, they should've stuck with a soap where you can get away with limiting yourself to the character dynamics. Yes, I know they tried going that route as well . . .

Mr Awe
Old March 16 2009, 04:08 PM   #187
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture. Not curious. I guess they had enough fun bickering!

I think the characters are too busy trying to stay alive.
Old March 16 2009, 04:15 PM   #188
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

For along time, the characters in the series were just like that. Not interested in the bigger picture.
Well, let me make clear: I am interested in the bigger picture. As I indicated in the post you quoted from (perhaps a bit too obscurely), I very much wanted answers about who all the models of the Cylons were, why the final five are different, and why the other seven weren't supposed to know who the final five are. But that's been answered already. The Opera House storyline has never held much interest for me, and I prefered the mystery of not knowing if the Head Characters are real or imagined. Now that they're apparently real, that makes it a bit more ordinary (and boring) to me.

As far as the bigger picture is concerned, I still want to know how Hera fits into things, but after Daybreak Part I it's pretty obvious that that reveal is where the finale is heading, so there's no point in being anxious about getting that answer. I'm sure it will tie in with the Head People and the Opera House (the things I'm not as interested in) but that's okay.

I think it's a bit unfair to characterize my view as not being interested in the bigger picture. It's just that they've already covered the parts of the bigger picture I'm interested in in a satisfactory manner. Let's not forget that a lot has been revealed already during 4.5.
Ah, you do care! And, I was just reacting to your text as you wrote it. Perhaps you were exaggerating to make a point? I didn't mean to be unfair.

Mr Awe
Old March 16 2009, 04:35 PM   #189
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Ah, you do care! And, I was just reacting to your text as you wrote it. Perhaps you were exaggerating to make a point? I didn't mean to be unfair.

Mr Awe
I wasn't exaggerating, but I didn't clearly state what elements I did care about. I don't (and never have) cared about most of the remaining questions - certainly the Opera House and especially the Head People. I do care a bit about Hera, which I probably should have mentioned previously. A few weeks ago, I would have cared much more about the Starbuck storyline, but I feel like now they've suggested enough of the answers that I would be totally satisfied if they don't address it further. I think I might like them to address it further, but I'm not worried about whether they do or not.

All the things that I would have been truly disappointed if they hadn't addressed (in terms of the larger narrative) have pretty much already been answered enough for my tastes, and that's why I'm not too worried about getting any more answers the rest of the way.

I didn't mean to knock on you with the "unfair" comment; I really didn't fully explain how I felt about the larger plot previously. (And may not have this time. )
Old March 16 2009, 04:58 PM   #190
Agent Richard07
Retired

You know, if the show isn't about revelations and answers, they shouldn't have set it up so there are these intriguing questions that we'd want answers to.
I agree.
Old March 16 2009, 05:02 PM   #191
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post

Exactly.
Old March 16 2009, 05:11 PM   #192
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
USS Gettysburg wrote: View Post
Sagart wrote: View Post
Sorry guys, I'm having a senior moment here but when was Tyrol sent to the brig?
There's a deleted scene from the episode prior to Daybreak that explains how he got there. (I read that in one of the mainstream recaps, either LA Times or EW.com.) Have to wait for the DVD.
Shit, why do they keep doing this? Just to inflate DVD sales?
The production staff was originally told by Sci-Fi Channel execs that they would be allowed to run longer-than-normal episodes for the Season 4.5 run -- so the episodes were written longer. Prior to airing, that decision was reversed, necessitating cuts to the episodes.
Old March 16 2009, 05:15 PM   #193
Harvey
Admiral

Since Ronald D. Moore has insisted that we'd be getting an explanation to the "Head" characters this season since at least the podcast to "The Ties That Bind," I'd be extremely surprised (and disappointed) if that doesn't happen in the next episode.

And the opera house will certainly be addressed, given that Michael Taylor was unwilling to go into further detail about the whole thread at the Chicago Tribune's Feature Blog when asked a few weeks ago about it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 16 2009, 05:23 PM   #194
Rii
Rear Admiral

I couldn't care less about the "bigger picture" regarding the Cylons, Final Five, Hera, Earth, etc. BSG hasn't faltered because it's failed to answer these questions, it's faltered because it's raised them to such prominence in the first place without (outside Kara) having them resonate with the characters on an emotional level. The dichotomy between "plot" and "character" that we've seen in S4.5 is one that shouldn't exist
Old March 16 2009, 07:59 PM   #195
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post

Exactly.
Staying alive is certainly a worthwhile goal, especially in real life. On a TV show, I'd like a little more examination of the mythology, particularly when their existence seems to depend on it.

Actually, I'm not worried about the answers we will get. I think we'll get them in the finale. My main worry is that it'll get wrapped up very quickly. There are only 90 minutes of screen time left. Meanwhile, we had 4 episodes that were light on plot. It would've been nice to have used them more effectively.

Mr Awe