Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14 2009, 10:21 PM   #136
arch101
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

I'm thinking that the meaning of Adama's "Caprica" interlude will be revealed in what he does in his final scene. I just get that vibe. As for the rest, I'm beginning to think we aren't going to get all the answers, and I think I'm OK with that.
After next Friday: I'll buy the whole frakkin series on dvd, watch it to death, and nitpick it on this board daily for the next 20 yahrens.
Old March 14 2009, 10:29 PM   #137
Agent Richard07
Admiral

steveman wrote: View Post
I echo the comments of others in my praise of the Caprica scenes. Wasn't it striking to see how far they've all come? It was heartbreaking, really. Take Roslin for instance. We see her in a state of carefree bliss with her sisters... knowing the whole time that she will eventually find herself flying through deep space aboard a decrepit Battlestar, romantically involved with the commander of said Battlestar, and dying of cancer.

Wow.
Not to mention President of the 12 colonies.
Old March 14 2009, 10:33 PM   #138
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've seen many comments like this and I might as well address it as a whole:

Why does it not matter that we won't get answers? These questions have been forming throughout the entire series and have been integral to the story of the show. I keep reading about character drama and all that jazz and I have to wonder how can you have character drama with not story. That's the problem I'm having with the show. Character Drama should not be repetitive, but should evolve. The last few episodes felt like everyone standing still. I'm tired of seeing characters go through the motions and want to see the characters reach that final step. Personally, I think it will be severly cheating the viewer if we don't find out anything. Speculation be damned, theories be damned, and subtilty be damned. Get on with it already.
Old March 14 2009, 10:39 PM   #139
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I remember saying very early in the season that I was hoping they would reveal stuff such as Starbuck so we can see consequences from that and how it affects her.
Tomalak, I agree with your review. And, I also had said similar things earlier on about allowing time to see the consequences for the characters. We did see the Final Five deal some with their new found identities. Of course lately they haven't done squat.

Right now it's looking like everything will be wrapped up in the next 90 minutes of screen time with little time for consequences afterwards. I expect it'll be a bang up episode but consider this. The last 4 episodes have been fairly slow. Some nice character moments but really just rehashing the plot points, no real development. If some of the bigger revelations had happened 3 or 4 episodes ago, we'd be looking at the consequences now rather than piano notes, flashbacks and the like!

Mr Awe
Exactly. I'm all for character drama, but I was really hoping that we'd have time to watch the whiplash of the payoff on these characters. I feel like I can copy and paste the same review every week but it's the same issue. I'm tired of set up. I'm tired of being dedicated to this series but realizing that it will be all set up and no payoff. That's not a good series makes. All this stuff that's been integral to the series would have greatly benefited to being revealed earlier so we can watch how these characters deal with it as a "countdown to the final showdown" type thing to hype of the finale. Instead, the series was beating around the Bush, and that's not good. Any other episode and I would have been fine with the flashbacks. I mean I was intrigued with them too, for a time. Then we saw Lee and dealing with the bird and I was like

Some other parts I forgot to mention that I liked: Adama seeing all the photos taken down expect for the ones not claimed was very moving. Everything that happened in the present made me quite emotional because the series is ending next week. I've enjoyed watching these characters other than some spurts here and there and a week from today it will be no more. I just want to see a great finale, and good resolution to this story. I fear after last night that it might not be enough.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; March 14 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old March 14 2009, 10:50 PM   #140
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There's always plenty of story on nuBSG; what there isn't is a lot of concentration on plot and plot points. This story is definitely going somewhere and will definitely end, but what some folks are concerned about (and others less so) are how specific plot points and threads will be resolved.
Old March 14 2009, 10:53 PM   #141
Hermiod
Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There's always plenty of story on nuBSG; what there isn't is a lot of concentration on plot and plot points. This story is definitely going somewhere and will definitely end, but what some folks are concerned about (and others less so) are how specific plot points and threads will be resolved.
I wonder how many people in this thread have ever read a book but had to stop about a third of the way through before picking it up later.

I wonder how many of those people would complain if the story wasn't completely explained in that first third.
Old March 14 2009, 10:58 PM   #142
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I wonder how many people in this thread have ever read a book but had to stop about a third of the way through before picking it up later.

I wonder how many of those people would complain if the story wasn't completely explained in that first third.
That's a terrible analogy. The story develops, but we're at the ending of the book now, where the revelations should come. I was actually just thinking about the book featured in this show and how Adama doesn't want to finish it because it's so good. I'm afraid that might just be the theme of the show as a whole. Screw the ending when the rest of it is so good. If that's the way this series is going to be, than it might just be the worst show I've ever watched. Hopefully we don't get to that point.
Old March 14 2009, 11:10 PM   #143
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Heres a question. If you line up the dots that Hera keeps drawing do they represent a double helix genetic code? The answer to her existance in dots.
Old March 14 2009, 11:31 PM   #144
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post

I agree that these big epic dramas like BSG are essentially one big massive episode and to pre-emptively criticize it for not having answered all the questions or for not having answered them satisfactorily is absurd and premature. It would be like criticizing a book a third of the way through or if you started watching a standalone one hour mystery and turned it off 15 minutes into it complaining nothing was answered or revealed.

I'm certain, despite what some posters have said in this thread, that all the unanswered mysteries will get answered by the end of the finale next week. I'm not worried about that.

The problem is you need interesting stuff, whether plot-wise or character-wise, to maintain your interest in between. There needs to not be only interesting stuff in the big moments of a finale. The journey shoould be just as interesting. And frankly repetitive scenes of the Opera House or Anders in a tub or Boomer being conflicted when we haven't seen her in years or Baltar and his cult groupies etc just isn't cutting it.
Old March 15 2009, 12:05 AM   #145
James Bond
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Well that was unexpected. I honestly didn't think we'd get this as part one. I was expecting plot development, not flashbacks, characters pacing and drawn out decisions. We've had three quiet episodes that set everything up and I figured we'd get an explosion this week.

And yet I loved it. Beautifully written and everything that could've failed or seemed cliched was seamless. Bring on the finale.
That's exactly how I feel. Normally I wouldn't have liked an episode like this, and I could in fact easily see myself hating this episode; but, it all worked so very, very well.

CAN'T WAIT until March, 20.
Old March 15 2009, 12:08 AM   #146
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
I imagine that their positronic-brained cars rose up against them at the same time their killbots did. And unlike killbots, no one would think to put hardcoded kill limits on cars, making the Zap Brannigan stratagem useless against them.

Icemizer wrote:
Heres a question. If you line up the dots that Hera keeps drawing do they represent a double helix genetic code? The answer to her existance in dots.
I think you'd need a lot more dots.
Old March 15 2009, 02:10 AM   #147
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

GodBen wrote: View Post
It is difficult to rate an episode like this where it is all set-up, but my feeling was that this episode was Above Average. It should manage to work better once the DVDs come out and we can watch Parts 1 & 2 in one go as it was intended.
This right here is actually why I'm starting to wish I had waited to cast my final vote until next week. If it is correct that Daybreak was actually an over 3 hour episode that got parts cut out and then had the remainder divided into 2 parts, then the reason I don't like it is because it was probably supposed to flow together with the other 2+ hours. But by getting just the first hour, the flashbacks didn't seem to have anything to do with anything. And since the flashbacks are what really killed episode for me, that means I voted lower because a large part of the episode won't get context or meaning until combined with the other part.

Of course, if I come to find next week that these flashbacks still have nothing to do with anything... well... I could easily drop kick a puppy over something like that.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 15 2009, 02:47 AM   #148
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
I know people might be growing tired of me constantly bringing up Lost but it is the first thing that comes to mind when needing to provide an example of what I'm talking about when it comes to handling set-up in an interesting effective manner. Its finales usually are comprised of three episodes--one one hour episode followed the next week by a two hour episode. Lost builds from the previous episode and consistently holds the viewers attention. Heck, you can even look back to season one of BSG for another example. Compare the tightly written and focused interesting arc of the show's freshman year to what we've gotten last year or this year.
Lost and BSG are my two favorite (current) shows.

You're right. Lost excels at story structure and in building an incredibly complex and surprisingly coherent narrative... which are BSG's weaknesses.

At the same time, Lost has (with rare exception) continually failed to build any sort of meaningful relationships or drama between the characters... which is BSG's strength.

Both shows are brilliant... neither is perfect.
Old March 15 2009, 03:20 AM   #149
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Lost excels at story structure and in building an incredibly complex and surprisingly coherent narrative... which are BSG's weaknesses.
Yes, as far as pure form--the timing of revelations, the impressive interconnected nature of the series where pieces connect to other pieces seamlessly, the painful almost obsessive attention to details, the way flashbacks and flashforwards are interwoven and how they are placed strategically, how situations and paths crossing could seem contrived come off organic and plausibly, the careful timing of introduction of new pieces and characters being folded into the narrative flow at just the moment cueing you to their forthcoming importance, the parallel structure, the way one can step back and from a distance observe and appreciate the way threads come together and fit--no show can top Lost.

I agree BSG is not very well plotted and the format is not as sharp.
At the same time, Lost has (with rare exception) continually failed to build any sort of meaningful relationships or drama between the characters... which is BSG's strength.
While the shows are similar, yes BSG is far more character-driven. I don't think anyone will quarrel with that. In fact, at times it comes across as academic character studies which isn't always that entertaining.

Lost isn't like that. It tries to balance character and plot more than BSG and at the end of the day I think it favors plot more because the focus on all the mysteries and you also have the characters doing a lot of reacting, investigating, being action figures in this big action adventure and serving the plot. But that isn't to say Lost is purely plot-driven and can only be enjoyed for the mysteries, revelations, twists, cliffhangers, inventive writing and plot.

I enjoy the characters on Lost quite a bit. With all the attention on the Big Mysteries, the show has done an excellent job creating characters that are well-defined and amazingly with as large of a cast as it has it has also managed to create interesting histories and personalities for most of the them. And despite the fast-paced nature and all the fantastical stuff going on around them, they still find time to sneak a character moment or tie what is happening with the plot to the characters. Is it necessarily as deep as BSG when it comes to the characters? Maybe not.
Both shows are brilliant... neither is perfect.
No show is perfect and I was never arguing Lost was flawless and BSG was a show riddled with endless problems. I was just sharing my opinion about what I look for and my issues with BSG.

I would personally argue that at the end of the day for me I've enjoyed myself more with Lost and have had less complaints especially in the last two and half seasons than with BSG. I understand how others might feel differently but overall Lost has been more consistent, more entertaining and better balanced between character and plot--at least from my perspective.
Old March 15 2009, 03:47 AM   #150
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I loved it because it really moved me into a direction where I am ready for the ending and I mean that in a good way.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.