RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 436
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14 2009, 09:51 AM   #76
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

They are so obviously setting Baltar up for some kind of redemption. I would be completely shocked if nothing happens with that next week. I expect that, even though he apparently decided to stay with the fleet, he's going to end up somehow coming to the rescue or something in part 2.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Just one question. For the Caprica flashbacks, they seemed to go out of the way to name Roslin's date. She even said it sounded familiar. Was there any point to that. Sean something, right? Or was it just supposed to be ironic. Oh, the irony, worrying about the name for some dude who obviously has no role in the things to come?
No, I definitely think there's something to it, that'll be explored next week. I expect that next week, we'll see something happen in the flashbacks that suddenly makes our brains click to some connection with what's happening in the "present".
Old March 14 2009, 12:03 PM   #77
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Average. Very decidedly average. I did actually enjoy seeing the Caprica scenes, for a bit, then they were tedious. I just didn't feel vested in their drama back then, not after everything that's happened since. Of course, they're setting up the new series. If not the characters, at least the idea that it's a very Earth like setting.
So Earthlike they've built artificial intelligence but not automatically guided cars. No wonder the Cylons won the war.

Overall, I did enjoy the episode, though, even the flashbacks. The end was awesome, although I expected Baltar to join the volunteer mission. I thought that was the whole point of his conversation with Lee. In retrospect, that conversation was a damn waste of time--I don't need to be told for the literally hundredth time that Gaius Baltar is selfish, unless you're setting us up for the turn toward self-sacrifice.

Yes, I suspect that perhaps in Part 2 he'll be doing something interesting, as some of the posts above indicate. Indeed, he almost has to go just to be a part of the ending, unless the swansong for Gaius Baltar is as some faintly religious jerk sitting on a civilian ship bitching about his flock not being included in the government (and what does that even mean? did I miss a whole episode about them disenfranchising people?). But the time for them to show this was right then. No hesitation and ultimately mealy-mouthed line-not-crossing. Just do it, for God's sakes.

And there's this remarkably questionable line: "This is likely to be a one-way trip... So don't volunteer out of emotion or sentiment." Okay, I guess Adama wants them to volunteer for a suicide mission based on logic and sensibility.

Edit: I actually did vote above-average. I liked the episode, just not the part with Baltar, which might as well not have existed so as to give more time for Tyrol. Or Cavil. I love Cavil. "Dots, lots of dots, what a gifted child." I hope he tears her head off, figures out whatever was important, and it turns out he was the hero all along.

Last edited by Myasishchev; March 14 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old March 14 2009, 12:10 PM   #78
Carlito
Lieutenant

How comer this thread is always dominated by the same three people who voted "average" when the poll shows more people voted "above average" and even MORE people voted "excellent"?
Old March 14 2009, 12:25 PM   #79
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Oh, and before I forget, Four and Five were in this episode, which was a real treat. I was seriously beginning to wonder if Doral still existed or if he was boxed offscreen in spite of being Cavil Junior. On the minus side, he doesn't say a word. Maybe he only gets extra pay these days.
Old March 14 2009, 12:34 PM   #80
chrisspringob
Commodore

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Yes, I suspect that perhaps in Part 2 he'll be doing something interesting, as some of the posts above indicate. Indeed, he almost has to go just to be a part of the ending, unless the swansong for Gaius Baltar is as some faintly religious jerk sitting on a civilian ship bitching about his flock not being included in the government (and what does that even mean? did I miss a whole episode about them disenfranchising people?). But the time for them to show this was right then. No hesitation and ultimately mealy-mouthed line-not-crossing. Just do it, for God's sakes.
No, that's not how it works. The way it works is that the selfish guy continues to be selfish right up until the last possible second, when he finally makes a selfless action, and it saves the day. Don't you remember Han Solo in Star Wars?
Old March 14 2009, 01:46 PM   #81
Hermiod
Admiral

That was excellent and I have voted as such.

I think there's a point others maybe aren't seeing to the flashbacks - they're (re)introducing people from our character's lives before the fall of the colonies. Roslin's father and sisters, Baltar's father, Zak Adama, the man Adama was talking with and so on.
Old March 14 2009, 01:51 PM   #82
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
No, that's not how it works. The way it works is that the selfish guy continues to be selfish right up until the last possible second, when he finally makes a selfless action, and it saves the day. Don't you remember Han Solo in Star Wars?
Yeah, well, Star Wars didn't belabor the point.
Old March 14 2009, 02:22 PM   #83
Shaka
Lieutenant Commander

Surprising, beautifully acted, wonderful build up for the last 2 hours, important flashback scenes that gives new lights on the characters. In a word, excellent.
Time...
Old March 14 2009, 02:45 PM   #84
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Pretty average. The acting was great, as usual, and the character moments were good. If this were just another episode of BSG I'd rate it highly. But as the first part to the SERIES finale, there wasn't enough story development. As others have already said, BSG has been stuck in neutral for the last couple of episodes. Yes, we know Starbuck is special but we don't know what she is. Yes, we know Hera is special somehow. Yes, we know Galactica is dying. These plot points keep getting flung at us, and yet without a lot of development to push the story forward. There's a LOT of setup and NO payoff. A lot of character moments and little to no plot.

The flashbacks to Caprica were cool. I especially liked seeing Caprica Six during this time - you can tell the difference in Tricia Helfer's performance, and even the makeup seems different, to make it gel with the miniseries. I feel like these flashbacks are supposed to connect with whatever happens in the finale. I suspect we'll have even MORE flashbacks next week (which will be irritating because it'll eat up precious minutes of time). However, I'm not sure flashbacks were the way to go here. There's TOO MUCh left to tell - we can't lose half an episode to more retroactive character development at this point.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old March 14 2009, 02:55 PM   #85
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I could watch them watch paint dry and I would be mesmerized.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I did find this episode thoroughly engrossing. I thought the flashbacks were great, and I suspect we'll see them tied in more clearly next week. The remaining photographs on the wall, Roslin stepping across the line to join Adama's mission, Starbuck and Roslin holding hands, Baltar's indecision, Helo and Tyrol's conversation, Helo and Athena arguing... I could go on and on. This episode was packed with the type of moments that I watch this show for.

As we get closer to the end, I find I'm less and less interested in getting the answers to the remaining questions. Most of what I really wanted to know about was answered in "No Exit". I've never really felt like I need to know anything about the Opera House or the Head People. I wouldn't even be looking for answers to those questions if RDM hadn't already said they will be answered before the end. (In fact, I was disappointed to hear the Head People would even get an answer. That was one I had hoped they wouldn't address at all.) The only remaining question I have any interest in is Starbuck's resurrection, but even that I'm not really burning to know anymore.

At this point, all I really want is to see these characters go out in a blaze on glory, and it looks like that's exactly where we're heading. I can't wait for next week.
Old March 14 2009, 03:16 PM   #86
billcosby
Commodore

Gaius: "What was your name again??" =-0
So we really are to assume that he didn't know Six's name the entire time they were dating/frakking. And that was stated onscreen as... over a year??

Old March 14 2009, 03:44 PM   #87
Gertch
Admiral

Poor. I think I picked the wrong one to tune into. What a clusterfrak.
Old March 14 2009, 03:50 PM   #88
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Average. Very decidedly average. I did actually enjoy seeing the Caprica scenes, for a bit, then they were tedious. I just didn't feel vested in their drama back then, not after everything that's happened since. Of course, they're setting up the new series. If not the characters, at least the idea that it's a very Earth like setting.
So Earthlike they've built artificial intelligence but not automatically guided cars. No wonder the Cylons won the war.
I imagine that their positronic-brained cars rose up against them at the same time their killbots did. And unlike killbots, no one would think to put hardcoded kill limits on cars, making the Zap Brannigan stratagem useless against them.
Old March 14 2009, 04:08 PM   #89
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think the next episode is going to tell us what Starbuck is. This episode basically sealed it for me. They aren't going to explain it because it doesn't matter.

This whole season has been about identity--who and what these people, human and Cylon, really are. At the end of the day, they are who they decide to be. Tigh found out he's a Cylon but decided that didn't change the man he really was. Although they didn't dig too deeply into it, Starbuck got over Anders being a Cylon, partly because of her own mysterious nature, but also because she realized it didn't matter. He was still the same person, still Samuel Anders.

Tyrol really hasn't been able to come to grips with the whole thing, but he's also someone who always had trouble finding his place. He muddled through being the deck chief married to boiled cabbage, never really happy. He seemed to think being a Cylon would give him a new lease on life, a hook of identity to hang his hat on. But it didn't--he's still the same miserable, distant person who's lost everything he ever cared about. Being a Cylon didn't make him a better or worse person.

You put all these thing together, and it becomes clear that it's irrelevant what anyone says these people are. They just are what they are. Having the label "Cylon" doesn't change your basic nature, and that's what they are all finally having to realize. Being Cylon, human, or mysterious resurrectee--it's all the same. They're just labels and wedges they use to drive each other apart, and that's the cycle they have to stop, and just be content being who they are, and not feud over what labels they've attached to others.
Old March 14 2009, 04:14 PM   #90
USS Gettysburg
Captain

Hunter X wrote: View Post
It was a good first act to a three act story, and it'll make way more sense once we can watch it continuous with the second and third acts. A series finale is the perfect time for character stuff and flashbacks. This show isn't about the whiz-bang plots, it's about the people, so that should be the focus right to the end.
Ditto. We are looking for "the perfect throw."