Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 69 35.03%
Above Average 59 29.95%
Average 47 23.86%
Below Average 13 6.60%
Poor 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14 2009, 07:25 AM   #61
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

I love these characters. They are family to me.

I could watch them watch paint dry and I would be mesmerized.

Excellent.

I don't know how they are going to wrap it all up in two hours, but I can't wait to see it.

RDM, checkers are green. You have the ball.
Old March 14 2009, 07:53 AM   #62
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Average episode. It wasn't a bad episode, and it had many scenes that were great, but something about it didn't work. As just one episode, it was okay. Maybe it will work better as an extended episode, like I hope we get on DVD, or it might work better combined with the final two hours, but something this week just didn't work for me. Specifically, the flashbacks. It seemed like a lot of time was wasted on scenes that didn't seem to have any relevance or connection to the situation at hand. Overall, the episode just did not work well as a single hour-long episode.

However, there were several places that I really liked. Adama in the memorial hall was very moving. Him telling Starbuck that she's still his daughter brought a tear to my eye. The end was very well done as well. The shot where we see who's staying and who's going was kind of bitter-sweet. On one hand, it was kind of nice to see the number of people participating being so heavily outnumbered by the people who are staying with the fleet. It is too overly cliched where the valiant Admiral makes a call for volunteers and everyone steps forward to help. But, at the same time, it was kind of disappointing to see so many people not stick with Adama... it's hard to explain why that was disappointing. It just kinda was.

Looking forward to next week! Going to watch the whole evening, starting at the special, through Daybreak I and staying clear until Daybreak II ends. Is it pathetic that I'm sad about a show ending? Because if so, I think I can live with it. I wasn't even this sad for Jericho.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 14 2009, 07:56 AM   #63
Adm. Bonz
Rear Admiral

Another great episode. Loved the flashbacks.

Can't wait until next week!
Old March 14 2009, 07:58 AM   #64
Stanley
Lieutenant

Gaius and Six are my favorite characters in this show, and I did enjoy seeing a deeper level of their relationship revealed, but I have to ask myself, why are we being told about this now? How is it going to fit into the finale?
Old March 14 2009, 08:22 AM   #65
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Average.... The present time stuff was excellent... But I really could not stand the Caprica flashbacks. They appeared to serve no purpose at all. Thus it has to average out to an average.

If that is how "Caprica" the show will be like - count me out.
Old March 14 2009, 08:22 AM   #66
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post

However, there were several places that I really liked. Adama in the memorial hall was very moving. Him telling Starbuck that she's still his daughter brought a tear to my eye. The end was very well done as well. The shot where we see who's staying and who's going was kind of bitter-sweet. On one hand, it was kind of nice to see the number of people participating being so heavily outnumbered by the people who are staying with the fleet. It is too overly cliched where the valiant Admiral makes a call for volunteers and everyone steps forward to help. But, at the same time, it was kind of disappointing to see so many people not stick with Adama... it's hard to explain why that was disappointing. It just kinda was.
That scene kinda had me cracking up. You could see Baltar's brain trying to decide whether or not to cross the line, and you could see Adama worriedly looking at him and back hoping to hell he'd stay where he was at
Old March 14 2009, 08:39 AM   #67
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Average. Very decidedly average. I did actually enjoy seeing the Caprica scenes, for a bit, then they were tedious. I just didn't feel vested in their drama back then, not after everything that's happened since. Of course, they're setting up the new series. If not the characters, at least the idea that it's a very Earth like setting.

Really, nothing happened in this one. No big revelations etc. The most moving part was Adama's request for the suicide mission. Even that seemed a little flat.

Obviously when the finale was stretched from 2 to 3 hours, this episode was the padding that got expanded. And, you know, it's not all bad. If the question is, do you want an extra hour of BSG even if nothing much happens? Sure, I'll take it because soon we won't have any. Especially if it means spending a little more time with these great characters.

So, in a nutshell, nice but not great. It wasn't particularly gripping but it wasn't bad and it was nice to get a bit of extra time before the end.

Just one question. For the Caprica flashbacks, they seemed to go out of the way to name Roslin's date. She even said it sounded familiar. Was there any point to that. Sean something, right? Or was it just supposed to be ironic. Oh, the irony, worrying about the name for some dude who obviously has no role in the things to come?

Mr Awe
Old March 14 2009, 08:43 AM   #68
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Why do I have the feeling this show will not 'end'..it will leave it open ended, and these last few episodes are meant to set up Caprica...sure feels like it at times..

Rob
Old March 14 2009, 08:46 AM   #69
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
So, that was Part 1 of a 3 parter. Typically Part 1 of any To Be Continued... is going to be slow, as they build up to stuff, so I can forgive the slowness of the episode.
I give this episode an Average. I expect next week will get an Excellent.
No, it doesn't have to be like that. Part 1 does not have to be tedious. I grow tired of this seeming acceptance of the idea that setup has to be and will be tedious. People are learning to settle for less.

Sorry, Brent, I don't mean to pick on you specifically but I've heard this sentiment quite a bit. Almost a defensive reflex. Well, it was slow but, of course, it *had* to be slow. It was setup afterall.

But, I agree with your rating.

Mr Awe
Old March 14 2009, 08:56 AM   #70
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I remember saying very early in the season that I was hoping they would reveal stuff such as Starbuck so we can see consequences from that and how it affects her.
Tomalak, I agree with your review. And, I also had said similar things earlier on about allowing time to see the consequences for the characters. We did see the Final Five deal some with their new found identities. Of course lately they haven't done squat.

Right now it's looking like everything will be wrapped up in the next 90 minutes of screen time with little time for consequences afterwards. I expect it'll be a bang up episode but consider this. The last 4 episodes have been fairly slow. Some nice character moments but really just rehashing the plot points, no real development. If some of the bigger revelations had happened 3 or 4 episodes ago, we'd be looking at the consequences now rather than piano notes, flashbacks and the like!

Mr Awe
Old March 14 2009, 09:08 AM   #71
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Then again the writers have shown a very bad habit of not being able to fit the right amount of critical scenes into an episode without them being dropped or the scenes deleted.
I've pointed this out before, but it's a doubly bad habit.

First, they don't have enough plot to last the season so they have to stretch it out, water down the soup. Then, incomprehensibly, while the season is getting watered down as a whole, some individual episodes are getting crucial scenes chopped due to time constraints! Their plot pacing and structure is badly malformed.

In other words, BSG's plot structure is about as compromised as the Galactica's structure!

Mr Awe
Old March 14 2009, 09:23 AM   #72
Caliburn24
Commodore

The episode was poor.

We're at the end. The time for fleshing out characters is over, the time for flashbacks is over. The time for flashbacks that do nothing is especially over(I'm looking at you Lee bird chaser).

There are countless questions, a final battle to resolve, the aftermath of that to explore, and yet one third of the finale is wasted on this trivial stuff? Everything of significance in this episode could have been condensed down into about five minutes of episode. Heck it could have been all done in the teaser.

I like BSG. I generally like Ron Moore's writing, but this episode was lazy, fat and loose. Hopefully Moore and company can get it together next week, and add some sort of narrative drive to the end. Holy crap, we have the last survivors of the human race aboard the last human warship in existence going on a suicide mission into the maelstrom to find some sort of destiny for mankind. If Moore can't construct some sort of decent story from those elements then he must be so bored with the Space Opera genre, or so confused by the mythology of the show, that he really needs to take a break from writing/producing and take a good long vacation somewhere.
Old March 14 2009, 09:24 AM   #73
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Eh I fast forwarded through 1/2 of it. Here we are wrapping up the series and they're doing flashbacks from a dead world. Been there, done that, move on please. Even on DS9 Moore didn't know how to keep the thrust of a story going, meandering off into tangents when he should be more focused. Ugh!

RAMA
Old March 14 2009, 09:28 AM   #74
Aragorn
Admiral

I don't get the drunk Lee scene. At first I thought it was going to be because Zach died, but then it became about a trapped bird. Is Lee supposed to be a trapped bird?

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Admiral Adama: "No, Cottle, fleet can't afford to lose a doctor. That snotty nurse of yours can still go though."
That snotty nurse is married to Jamie Bamber.

And I'm wondering how she got promoted to guest starring credit as opposed to after the show is over credits like many of the other characters who have been around longer and done more.
Old March 14 2009, 09:47 AM   #75
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

It was a good first act to a three act story, and it'll make way more sense once we can watch it continuous with the second and third acts. A series finale is the perfect time for character stuff and flashbacks. This show isn't about the whiz-bang plots, it's about the people, so that should be the focus right to the end.