Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 12 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Re: Did cavill move the colony to earth?

Yes - "Hey, it's Jupiter" was my first thought about that scene as well.
Old March 12 2009, 12:26 PM   #17
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* Screenshots. Maybe the sun is too bright to be our jupiter/sun.

Old March 12 2009, 05:21 PM   #18
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Apogeal Alpha01 wrote: View Post
Unlikely. Radiation levels were lethal to even Cylons.
That seemed odd, seeing as how they were plenty capable of walking around Caprica after the rain, and it had been days since the nuclear holocaust, as opposed to two thousand years.
You're right about that, it's a bit of a discordant plot hole. Perhaps we could think that there might have been a difference in the type of weapons used, dirtier, or more of them used on Earth. We know that there were many more survivors after the attack on Caprica - weeks and months later. If the Cylons had carpet bombed the planet, the blasts would have killed everyone, and risidual fallout would have killed the survivors in short order.

The story goes that there were only the five survivors of the Earth attack, and those five only because their consciousnesses were uploaded to a facility orbiting the planet. That speaks to a significantly different level of bombardment.
Old March 12 2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Cid Highwind wrote: View Post
Yes - "Hey, it's Jupiter" was my first thought about that scene as well.
Our gas giants have rings, and, they're in the outer reaches of the solar system, too far from the sun to be these planets. Last I read, gas giants are a very common type of planet in the galaxy.
Old March 12 2009, 05:33 PM   #20
biotech
Vice Admiral

When they were walking around on Caprica they were only an upload away from a new body, no need to worry about cancer when you have resurrection, its not an option for them now.
Old March 12 2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Our gas giants have rings, and, they're in the outer reaches of the solar system, too far from the sun to be these planets. Last I read, gas giants are a very common type of planet in the galaxy.
Jupiter's ring system isn't very prominent - if that planet was meant to be Jupiter, depicting it without a visible ring system wouldn't really be a big error.

For the record, though: I'm not saying that this planet absolutely, positively has to be Jupiter... we've seen a Jupiter-like planet, and we've seen the Orion constellation several times now. Perhaps that planet was meant to be Jupiter, in the system they've already visited - perhaps it was Jupiter in a yet-unknown, neighbouring system - perhaps the CGI artists just like NASA's image database so much...
Old March 12 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
biotech
Vice Admiral

If they really wanted it to be Jupiter it would have been easy enough to show the eye, or one of the more recognisable moons.
Old March 13 2009, 03:39 AM   #23
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Yep. And, the sun would be tiny.
Old March 13 2009, 04:41 AM   #24
Gregsmack
Captain

Everyone's an astronomer.
Old March 13 2009, 04:46 AM   #25
Hyperspace05
Commodore

That Gas giant was just one of the many stopping points on her journey... Remember her cursing the ship because it had an old jump drive that couldn't make the trip in one jump?
Old March 14 2009, 02:39 AM   #26
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

That seemed odd, seeing as how they were plenty capable of walking around Caprica after the rain, and it had been days since the nuclear holocaust, as opposed to two thousand years.
Was it just general radiation that affected Loeben at @ Ragarok or was there something specific to it.

After all the Colonials didn't seem to have an issue (no radiation suits) or maybe it was just an issue with the log term exposure?

did it have an general effect on the Cylon or just his ability to download after Adama finished him off with the torch?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 14 2009, 12:03 PM   #27
LLAP
Lieutenant Commander

CaptainHarlock wrote: View Post

biotech wrote: View Post
If they really wanted it to be Jupiter it would have been easy enough to show the eye, or one of the more recognisable moons.
But look there on the left, could be the Great Red Spot - which is, of course, unique to Jupiter.
Old March 14 2009, 12:19 PM   #28
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Was it just general radiation that affected Loeben at @ Ragarok or was there something specific to it.

After all the Colonials didn't seem to have an issue (no radiation suits) or maybe it was just an issue with the log term exposure?

did it have an general effect on the Cylon or just his ability to download after Adama finished him off with the torch?
In retrospect I think Leoben might have just been lying. To what end, who knows?

Of course, after this last episode, I have to question the radiation on Earth even more, because the Cylons live inside the accretion disk of a black hole. I guess the Cylon Colony is a big lead box.
Old March 14 2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Kchunda
Commander

At any rate, the colony's not on earth. . .
Old March 14 2009, 09:24 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

Marc wrote: View Post

In retrospect I think Leoben might have just been lying. To what end, who knows?
Leoben wasn't lying. The radiation affected Doral the same way at the end of the miniseries when he was left for dead on the station.

They didn't mention exactly what it was, just that "something" had an effect on the Cylons silica relays in their brain.