Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 10 2009, 06:25 AM   #31
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Cardassian ships: those I am attracted to. Mechanical eye-candy.

Cardassian ships alonside those green Romulan warbirds were the worst ship designs ever. Seriously.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 06:44 AM   #32
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Tachyon wrote: View Post
Cardassian ships alonside those green Romulan warbirds were the worst ship designs ever. Seriously.
Careful, you're treading on personal territory.

Please explain your feelings.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 07:35 AM   #33
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
Careful, you're treading on personal territory.

Please explain your feelings.

LOL.

But Praetor, my pal, you have to realize that those green Romulan warbirds are simply ridiculous. Come on.
Old March 10 2009, 07:48 AM   #34
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

You are literally the only person I've ever heard decry the D'Deridex.

Regarding atmospheric entry, I sometimes wonder if that's what the double hull on the D'D was for. It does, admittedly, seem mighty pointless in space, but it would increase the lift during a combat landing in a transporter dead zone (as if Trek people care about lift).
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 08:00 PM   #35
Praetor
Vice Admiral

LOL.

But Praetor, my pal, you have to realize that those green Romulan warbirds are simply ridiculous. Come on.
Erm... is it the color, or the split hull, or... what? I don't think they're ridiculous. They're gigantic! It was originally proposed as vertically oriented by Andrew Probert, you know.

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
You are literally the only person I've ever heard decry the D'Deridex.

Regarding atmospheric entry, I sometimes wonder if that's what the double hull on the D'D was for. It does, admittedly, seem mighty pointless in space, but it would increase the lift during a combat landing in a transporter dead zone (as if Trek people care about lift).
I don't think it was particularly 'for' anything.

My personal take is that it all started because the Romulans wanted to build the biggest and baddest ship in the quadrant, and some overblown Romulan Senator (or Praetor ) said 'It shall be twice as big as that Galaxy class ship the Federation is building. The Federation will not outdo us.'

The Romulan engineers scratched their heads, because it was not within their realm of ability to build a ship not only twice as long, but twice as massive. Besides, they didn't really need a ship that big. Some smart Romulan said: 'Hey, I know: we won't make it solid, we'll just take the shape of two regular warbirds, scale it up a little, flip 'em and put them together so most of it will be hollow, but it will still look threatening and be the right length. And, it will still have double the mass and essentially double the capabilities of our previous birds.'

And so they did, and so it was.

That's a rather shortened version of what I imagine the 'real' process would have been, but effectively sums up what I think is a realistic explanation for why it looks like it looks. I haven't decided if there's a logical reason why they switched their ships to a green color. Some kind of advanced alloy plating, or some coating that makes it less visible when cloaked? I dunno.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 10 2009, 11:38 PM   #36
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I never tried to figure that one out beyond assuming they like the color green.
Old March 11 2009, 03:26 AM   #37
Jono
Rear Admiral

One of the popular theories that gets banded about is that the D'deridex's design is influenced by the its use of a quantum singularity drive. Pretty sure nothing was mentioned to that effect on the show but it might have appeared in a book or technical manual.

Last edited by Jono; March 11 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2009, 03:29 AM   #38
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I LOVE the Galor-Class ship... I just love the yellow-ochre color of Cardassian vessels. And the Ankh shape of the Galor is cool.

The Keldon is good, but the add-on piece is a bit unsightly.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2009, 05:25 AM   #39
Praetor
Vice Admiral

rofeta wrote: View Post
On of the popular theories that gets banded about is that the D'deridex's design is influenced by the its use of a quantum singularity drive. Pretty sure nothing was mentioned to that effect on the show but it might have appeared in a book or technical manual.
By contrast, it was apparently suggested in 'Timescape' (or perhaps another ep, I forget) that the singularity is in the 'head.' Makes no sense to me, especially since it seems clear Probert designed the head to be separable and probably a saucer equivalent.
Old March 11 2009, 06:25 AM   #40
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

LOL.

Erm... is it the color, or the split hull, or... what? I don't think they're ridiculous. They're gigantic! It was originally proposed as vertically oriented by Andrew Probert, you know.
It is the color and the overall shape of the ships. I just think a noble race like Romulans should have had ships more fierce than something looking like taken from kids toy box.
Old March 11 2009, 06:44 AM   #41
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

rofeta wrote: View Post
On of the popular theories that gets banded about is that the D'deridex's design is influenced by the its use of a quantum singularity drive. Pretty sure nothing was mentioned to that effect on the show but it might have appeared in a book or technical manual.
I wonder how the double hulls would be useful in that?

Might they be effectively a torus for the plasma flow around the black hole?
Old March 11 2009, 10:36 AM   #42
Praetor
Vice Admiral

LOL.

It is the color and the overall shape of the ships. I just think a noble race like Romulans should have had ships more fierce than something looking like taken from kids toy box.
Understandable then, my friend. I just wasn't sure what specifically bothered you. Personally I don't mind it, but IDIC after all. I'm just glad they actually bothered to give the Romulans a distinct style at all. We were sick of the Klingon second-hand goods! We give them a cloak, they steal our defining characteristics and we end up with second-hand ships!
Old March 11 2009, 11:42 AM   #43
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Now, when this vessel first appeared, it was more than clear that whoever was commanding the vessel wasn't playing.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...nemesis203.jpg

Me likey.
Old March 11 2009, 05:07 PM   #44
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

^ "She's a predator"

Yeah, the Scimitar is possibly the only good thing to come out of Nemesis. I Must agree with my Romulan friend, the Romulan Warbirds are a beautiful series of Warships. In fact the RSE usually produces a fine line of ships, with the obvious exception of the late 22nd century Flea Drone ships.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2009, 07:31 PM   #45
Praetor
Vice Admiral

We don't talk about those.