RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 437
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9 2009, 10:41 PM   #196
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

I have the feeling the current episode being bitched about will play better on dvd with "Daybreak" immediately following it. A calm before the storm so to speak.
Old March 10 2009, 02:51 PM   #197
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
By the way, I am currently suffering from the flu and appear to be pretty high on flu relief capsules, so that might account for that hippie bullshit I just wrote.
That's fair. I always get to blame both my hippie bullshit and my skepticism about it on my age.
Old March 10 2009, 04:38 PM   #198
Gregsmack
Captain

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I have the feeling the current episode being bitched about will play better on dvd with "Daybreak" immediately following it. A calm before the storm so to speak.
I have a silly question that I've asked before and never got a real answer to (maybe because no one actually knows the answer):

Is the Daybreak finale actually two parts? People keep calling it the three hour finale, but it's split into one- and two-hour blocks. Is 'Daybreak' one episode that has been randomly hacked into two, or is it an actual two-parter a la 'Kobol's Last Gleaming,' 'Lay Down Your Burdens,' or 'Crossroads.' I only ask because I think it would be slightly a let down to watch part of the finale rather than an episode in and of itself (of course, when DVD comes out this is no longer a problem).
Old March 10 2009, 05:17 PM   #199
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I think it's a legit two parter (or three parter depending on how you want to qualify the finale).
Old March 10 2009, 06:14 PM   #200
Saul
Rear Admiral

BSG and Star Trek are science fiction shows that deal with issues that are still relevant to today's society. You can argue all you want that it isn't, but that is simply one person's opinion.

GodBen, I actually think BSG shows 4 characters learning what it means to be a Cylon and trying to hold onto their humanity afterwards since it doesn't really apply to them anymore. I think Tigh is a good example, from the moment he finds out he says "My name is Saul Tigh, whatever else that means, whatever else I am , that's the man I want to be and if I die today that's the man i'll be". Hating his own kind and keeping his friendship with Bill for him makes him feel more Human.

Last edited by Saul; March 10 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old March 10 2009, 06:41 PM   #201
Garth Rockett
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I think it's a legit two parter (or three parter depending on how you want to qualify the finale).
That's my understanding. The order for the final season was 22 episodes, counting Razor as two. That means two episodes were always planned to follow "Islanded in a Stream of Stars." I think "Daybreak Part II" just got expanded to two hours in the writing process, and they were able to convince the network to go along with it.
Old March 10 2009, 07:06 PM   #202
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Excellent episode.

I was a bit upset that after the big deal they made about Roslin "passing out/dying" that there was no real reaction to it. Next time we see her, she's in the bed in sickbay. Felt like a cheap cliffhanger from last week.

Then I thought about it.

I think Roslin died at the end of last week's episode. I think she died, and that Bill still hasn't accepted it. Note that he was the only one to interact with her this week and there was nothing new that came from her. Lee didn't consult her about the ship captain's dilemma either. I don't think there's any discussion with Laura about Hera being kidnapped either.

What was going on in those scenes between Bill and Laura? They talked about the cabin on New Caprica. He read Searider Falcon to her. They smoked a joint. All things they'd done before. All things that would remind him of her, things that would serve to make him feel as if she were still there with him.

He doesn't want to let go of Galactica because he doesn't want to let go of her. When she tells him, "You probably love this ship more than you love me," she's right. But he doesn't want her to be right. He realizes he HAS to let go of one or the other. And rather than give up the woman he loves, by the end of the episode he decides to give up his ship.

Again its all conjecture, but it would be a refreshing way to tackle this story point they've been telegraphing for all this time, especially after that hamfisted ending last week.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 10 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old March 10 2009, 07:12 PM   #203
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Is the Daybreak finale actually two parts? People keep calling it the three hour finale, but it's split into one- and two-hour blocks. Is 'Daybreak' one episode that has been randomly hacked into two, or is it an actual two-parter a la 'Kobol's Last Gleaming,' 'Lay Down Your Burdens,' or 'Crossroads.' I only ask because I think it would be slightly a let down to watch part of the finale rather than an episode in and of itself (of course, when DVD comes out this is no longer a problem).
I seem to remember early reports, possibly from Moore's mouth, saying the finale was likely a three hour episode and they were negotiating with sci-fi how to air it. I believe Daybreak was written entirely by Moore (I could be misremembering that), so, I imagine, it was written as one big episode, and edited to fill production/episode slots. I seem to remember Moore cringing on the Razor DVD commentary about how they were going to have to go back and edit their movie into two parts for syndication, so realize, at some point, some poor bastard is going to see the finale in three parts.
Old March 10 2009, 07:20 PM   #204
Gregsmack
Captain

Thank you sid, Garth, and WaveMan for answering my question.

Also, I had another thought.

Remember back in 'Road Less Traveled' when Leoben and Anders had their confrontation over being more than what you are? What if Anders' current state is how the writers are planning to leave him. It's a very disturbing outcome for a character who says things like, "I can't believe Pyramidball used to actually matter to me."
Old March 10 2009, 07:44 PM   #205
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I think Roslin died at the end of last week's episode. I think she died, and that Bill still hasn't accepted it.
You're the first person I've read who has speculated this. If you're correct, that's quite impressive. It would be a fascinating way to handle that storyline.

Mr Awe
Old March 10 2009, 07:57 PM   #206
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Well if not its one very long episode.
Old March 10 2009, 08:45 PM   #207
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I think Roslin died at the end of last week's episode. I think she died, and that Bill still hasn't accepted it.
You're the first person I've read who has speculated this. If you're correct, that's quite impressive. It would be a fascinating way to handle that storyline.

Mr Awe

My thoughts exactly. I'll need to wait for "Islanded" to show up on Hulu again to re-watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way they go with it.
Old March 10 2009, 08:59 PM   #208
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

Mr Awe

My thoughts exactly. I'll need to wait for "Islanded" to show up on Hulu again to re-watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way they go with it.
That's...quite interesting. Towards the end of the episode, when Bill mentioned going to "the funeral service," I had a split second of thinking "wait, did Laura die off-camera?" 'Twould be great if they really went this way.
Old March 10 2009, 09:19 PM   #209
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Wouldn't it? That scene with Helo would also carry a lot more resonance too.
Old March 13 2009, 09:49 PM   #210
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post
Tomato wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post
This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
thanks for the review. I guess I won't be dling this episode. synopsis it is. Seriously BSG had such potential and then it pissed it all away. I wonder who is going to screaming this time around that BSG "deserves" an emmy.
It had unbelievable potential! The first season had me glued to my monitor till 5am having to be up in 2 hrs to go to work, now as I sit through the new episodes I keep staring at my watch wondering when this crap will end. At this point in time I'm pot committed, I've spent too much time watching this show to stop watching it, I need to know how it ends, but I'm unbelievably dissapointed.
Gotta echo you there Bisz. Season 4 has been very disappointing. It should have been about half the size that it ended up being.