Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 10 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

Hi All,

What is everyone's current theory about where our civilisation fits into the BSG timeline? I am a fan of "our far future" myself, though "our very distant past" is also a strong possibility.

This I think might well be one of the big reveals for the finale. What if whoever is left from our civilisation is pulling the strings? What if the human society on Kobol were actually the survivors of our Earth the first time it fell, then after thousands of years, the thirteenth tribe were able to re-populate it?

Scary thought - what if all that remains of our civilisation were twelve Cylons, and all the colonials are in fact Cylon to a greater or lesser extent, and all the true humans died millions of years ago?

What do you all think?
Old March 10 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

We're somewhere way back in the past. The Earth they found may well have been our Earth at some later point.
Old March 10 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I think we don't exist at all, it's not our future or past, just another universe.
Old March 10 2009, 03:06 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Takeru wrote: View Post
I think we don't exist at all, it's not our future or past, just another universe.
That's what I believe too.

Old March 10 2009, 03:16 PM   #5
empty
Captain

We saw the North American continent at the very end of Season 3. The continent looks like it only did/only will for the last or next few million years.
Old March 10 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I think we're set in the distant future. I don't believe RDM's claim about All Along The Watchtower existing coincidentally in the BSG universe.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 10 2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

This has all happened before. And will happen again.

We originated on Earth. We built sentient machines. They rebelled. We had a mass exodus from a ruined Earth and settled on Kobol. The cycle repeats and humanity abandons Koblol and settle in the 12 colonies. A splinter Cylon group settles back on an Earth that has recovered from the previous disaster.

The cycle repeats again two times - on Earth and the 12 Colonies. The Final Five leave a charred Earth and head to the colonies. They meet the Cylons, exchange resurrection for an end to the war.

The cycle repeats once more with the nuking of the Colonies. Humanity, pursued by Cylons once again returns to Earth.

I think that's where we are. Further, I think the series will end with the survivors settling on Earth.
Old March 10 2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

IN HELL!
Old March 10 2009, 05:15 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

Where do we fit in? I genuinely don't care.
Old March 10 2009, 05:29 PM   #10
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
I think the ending might leave the answer open - but I think that RDM is making a point here about our society that is very good.

We have to learn to live together, as much as we sometimes hate each other, as fucked up as we all are and as prejudiced an greedy and selfish, because we have to or we will destroy each other.

Nothing original about that of course - but I'd like to see a cathartic ending designed to hammer in this point.
Old March 10 2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
This has all happened before. And will happen again.

We originated on Earth. We built sentient machines. They rebelled. We had a mass exodus from a ruined Earth and settled on Kobol. The cycle repeats and humanity abandons Koblol and settle in the 12 colonies. A splinter Cylon group settles back on an Earth that has recovered from the previous disaster.

The cycle repeats again two times - on Earth and the 12 Colonies. The Final Five leave a charred Earth and head to the colonies. They meet the Cylons, exchange resurrection for an end to the war.

The cycle repeats once more with the nuking of the Colonies. Humanity, pursued by Cylons once again returns to Earth.

I think that's where we are.
Agreed, but who do you think nuked the 13th colony?
I think it's whoever left behind the probe that made all the Cylons sick, but I have no idea who that would be.
Further, I think the series will end with the survivors settling on Earth.
Somehow I doubt this. I think they either settle on "The Cylon colony" where the final five developed the resurrection technology or they find a new place altogether.
Old March 10 2009, 07:09 PM   #12
MPH
Rear Admiral

I predict that the last scene will be set far in the future again with descendents of the colonists turning on a Cylon for the first time. "All this has happened before and will happen again".
Old March 10 2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Magisterfrodo wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
Further, I think the series will end with the survivors settling on Earth.
Somehow I doubt this. I think they either settle on "The Cylon colony" where the final five developed the resurrection technology or they find a new place altogether.
Um I'm pretty sure the Cylon colony was that large Cylon spaceship thing we saw in the most recent episode.
Old March 10 2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

I suppose it could be, and I thought about that. But why would that be called a "colony"? I was thinking probably that huge ship was on a habitable planet somewhere and was only moved recently by Cavil. The planet itself could still be there.
Old March 10 2009, 09:05 PM   #15
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Considering a lot of their technology and symbolism is ours, I go with 'we are their distant past.' And considering, some of the props they use, like medals, are from TOS, I also tend to think both BSG and G1980 happened in this continuity, albeit perhaps ten thousand years previous. But I'm weird like that.