Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9 2009, 05:16 AM   #181
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Maybe the actors aren't available... but why would TV character actors turn down piecework like the Leoben, Doral, and Simon roles?
I suspect it's less them turning down work than the producers not wanting to pay them full guest-star rates for a role that reduces them to an extra.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 9 2009, 05:34 AM   #182
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Tomato wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post
This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
thanks for the review. I guess I won't be dling this episode. synopsis it is. Seriously BSG had such potential and then it pissed it all away. I wonder who is going to screaming this time around that BSG "deserves" an emmy.
It had unbelievable potential! The first season had me glued to my monitor till 5am having to be up in 2 hrs to go to work, now as I sit through the new episodes I keep staring at my watch wondering when this crap will end. At this point in time I'm pot committed, I've spent too much time watching this show to stop watching it, I need to know how it ends, but I'm unbelievably dissapointed.
Old March 9 2009, 02:40 PM   #183
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
GodBen wrote: View Post
What is Lost about, exactly? It is a show about a battle for control over a magical island. It has time travel, electromagnets which can destroy the world, smoke monsters... It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.
What is Star Trek about, exactly? It's a show about a ship exploring the galaxy and finding mainly human beings in togas living everywhere. It has time travel, goofy plastic cones that eat planets, energy creatures...It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.
What is Battlestar Galactica about, exactly? It's about a spaceship fleeing an enemy that can destroy twelve planets in a day but can't bring themselves to finish off a few thousand straggling survivors. It has robots disguised as people, people who fly faster-than-light starships but are afraid of computers, "angels" that appear in peoples heads at random moments and tell them what to say...It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.
No text, as the saying goes, can stand up to a hostile reading.
I'm not hostile towards Lost, I love the show and own seasons 1-4 on DVD.

But seriously, what is it about? What is it trying to say about the human condition? Star Trek and BSG at least try to ask questions about morality and what it means to be human, not always but sometimes. In the first season Lost was at least exploring what it would be like to crash-land on an island with a group of strangers, but now it is just a weird sci-fi show with big plot twists and revelations. It is still engaging and it has great character moments, but the only questions is asks anymore are about its own mythology, it doesn't ask any of the big questions.
Old March 9 2009, 03:00 PM   #184
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
'Lost' had a strong first season and then meandered aimlessly in circles around the island for seasons two and three.

It wasn't until TPTB put a constructive gun to the creators' heads and gave them a finite timeline (in response to dropping ratings) that the show's exponentially increasing loose plot threads started to get tied together.
I agree with that assessment, mostly. I'd also add that the producer's of Lost also wanted that definitive end date for just that reason. So, it wasn't wholly involuntary. But, clearly they Lost writers adapted in a positive manner.

I wish the BSG writers had done the same after being placed in the same situation. Instead, they still seem to meander. For example, the BSG writers have time management problems in terms of plotting; it's not tight. They don't seem to have enough plot to fill a season yet at the same time they need to cut crucial scenes within an episode due to a lack of time! There are structural problems with the plot and its pacing, just like there are structural problems with the Galactica itself.

I'm actually expecting the BSG finale to be pretty good though. They seem to get the big events nailed, just not the lead up.

Mr Awe
Old March 9 2009, 03:18 PM   #185
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

...but now it is just a weird sci-fi show with big plot twists and revelations. It is still engaging and it has great character moments, but the only questions is asks anymore are about its own mythology, it doesn't ask any of the big questions.
I'm sorry, you're describing the last season of BSG as fully as you are "Lost."

What does BSG have? Well, it's certainly not that it's meaningfully asking "big questions about humanity" at this point any more than that's really ever true of Star Trek. What it has, at its best, is that the writers and actors don't flinch at digging into the characters in unflattering and often surprising ways.

Watching Adama come apart right now is pretty riveting - this guy's the star of the series and the leader of humanity, and he can't get through a staff meeting without a drink in one hand.
Old March 9 2009, 03:48 PM   #186
stonester1
Rear Admiral

C'mon, Polaris, Trek DOES ask those big questions. Not always, but often enough.
Old March 9 2009, 04:02 PM   #187
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
C'mon, Polaris, Trek DOES ask those big questions. Not always, but often enough.
If you say so. It usually poses superficial questions and offers "Sunday School" answers. That was pretty remarkable, as I recall, in 1966 because such things didn't come up much on commercial TV at all - but that was changing even as Trek premiered, and network TV would continue to become (occasionally) more provocative and topical throughout the late 1960s and early 70s. Star Trek was part of a change in American TV and culture, not the lonely beacon that its boosters made it out to be.
Old March 9 2009, 04:12 PM   #188
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

What it has, at its best, is that the writers and actors don't flinch at digging into the characters in unflattering and often surprising ways.
I think that's it in a nutshell. That is what BSG does best and, yeah, it has done that really well.

Mr Awe
Old March 9 2009, 05:59 PM   #189
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

stonester1 wrote: View Post
If you say so. It usually poses superficial questions and offers "Sunday School" answers. That was pretty remarkable, as I recall, in 1966 because such things didn't come up much on commercial TV at all - but that was changing even as Trek premiered, and network TV would continue to become (occasionally) more provocative and topical throughout the late 1960s and early 70s. Star Trek was part of a change in American TV and culture, not the lonely beacon that its boosters made it out to be.
And certainly by TNG, Trek provided more pulpit sermons on our "social cancers" instead of posing any thought-provoking questions.

Ahem-"The Outcast"-Ahem... Ahem-"Ethics"-Ahem... Ahem-Prime Directive as Morality in Voyager-Ahem...

There were a few exceptions, like "In The Pale Moonlight" (DS9), but those were few and far between.
Old March 9 2009, 06:25 PM   #190
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

...but now it is just a weird sci-fi show with big plot twists and revelations. It is still engaging and it has great character moments, but the only questions is asks anymore are about its own mythology, it doesn't ask any of the big questions.
I'm sorry, you're describing the last season of BSG as fully as you are "Lost."

What does BSG have? Well, it's certainly not that it's meaningfully asking "big questions about humanity" at this point any more than that's really ever true of Star Trek.
I can't agree on this point. From the beginning of season 4 they have been exploring what it means to be human by having four characters learn that they are not human. Tory abandons her humanity at the first opportunity, Tyrol slowly abandons it and Tigh steadfastly refuses to let go of the man he wants to be. You also have Cavil's rant about not wanting to be human and wanting to be a machine, which at least brought up the questions in our mind of what constitutes a human.

It also explored what happens to a society which loses all hope. The mutiny, Dee's suicide, Roslin's decision to die and Adama's breakdown have all been in response to finding out that Earth is a radioactive wasteland. They asked these questions and then played them out.

What questions about humanity has Lost asked this season, or in season 4? It is fun and it has great characterisation, but ultimately it is a show about a battle for control over a magical island. I want to find out who wins, I want to find out who Jacob is, I want to find out if Desmond will get his happy-ever-after, but it isn't challenging me.
Old March 9 2009, 06:58 PM   #191
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Just watched this one myself. A bit boring really; pretty much nothing happened. Found myself rolling my eeys at shots of Adama walking down corriders with his sad face

Get on with it!

Hopefully it will kick into gear next week
Old March 9 2009, 07:06 PM   #192
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I can't agree on this point. From the beginning of season 4 they have been exploring what it means to be human by having four characters learn that they are not human. Tory abandons her humanity at the first opportunity, Tyrol slowly abandons it and Tigh steadfastly refuses to let go of the man he wants to be. You also have Cavil's rant about not wanting to be human and wanting to be a machine, which at least brought up the questions in our mind of what constitutes a human.
Saying all of that doesn't mean that there's an interesting thought in there anywhere about "what it means to be human." Actually, "what it means to be human" within the context of popular drama is a bullshit question anyway.

Why is it never enough that a story about people be observant and moving? Why do skiffy fans always indulge in this apologia about "big questions" and "teaching" and such pooh-bah? This is nothing but fodder for a C- sophomore essay.

It also explored what happens to a society which loses all hope. The mutiny, Dee's suicide, Roslin's decision to die and Adama's breakdown have all been in response to finding out that Earth is a radioactive wasteland. They asked these questions and then played them out.
This, on the other hand, is worthwhile - well, not the "society which loses all hope," which is also middlebrow bullshit in this context, but the observation of individuals losing hope and struggling to motivate themselves has been a large part of what's driving the narrative lately and BSG makes it really, really interesting and sometimes surprising.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; March 9 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old March 9 2009, 08:42 PM   #193
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

BSG asks the big question "What would beings with artificial intelligence, downloadable memories, and functional immortality be like?" and the answer is "Whiney losers like the rest of us."
Old March 9 2009, 09:09 PM   #194
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
BSG asks the big question "What would beings with artificial intelligence, downloadable memories, and functional immortality be like?" and the answer is "Whiney losers like the rest of us."

Which is as good an answer to a silly question like that as you're likely to get.

Was a time, decades ago, when the editors of pulp science fiction magazines encouraged their readers to view all of those stories about spaceships and robots and so on as daring exercises in Deep Thought - "the literature of ideas!" was a phrase that I believe John W. Campbell was fond of. It was left to honest critics and writers in the genre to point out that ninety-nine percent of the time the "big thought experiments" were trivia on the level of "what if a robot were programmed to think it was a girl?"

Fandom has never really let go of those conceits, at least in part because the subculture has never gotten past the sense of inferiority about the genre that motivated those original, strident clarion calls by the likes of Campbell. Writers and fans of murder mysteries have never been looked at cross-wise for their passion, and it's probably not a coincidence that neither have they ever constructed quite the Grand Unification Theory of Importance about it that we have.
Old March 9 2009, 09:22 PM   #195
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Why is it never enough that a story about people be observant and moving? Why do skiffy fans always indulge in this apologia about "big questions" and "teaching" and such pooh-bah?
Oh I'm not really a scifi fan. I like Trek because I was indoctrinated as a baby, it took me a long time to get into BSG and I watched Lost because it tried to hide its true scifi roots until I was already hooked. And I watched Firefly because I was going through a bad break-up and needed something to watch during night's long journey into day and it was the only show my brother had which I hadn't seen (other than B5 which I had previously tried and failed to get into).

As for movies, I've watched Star Wars because it is a cultural phenomenon, I watched 2001 one afternoon when I had nothing else to do and I watched Blade Runner, which actually put me to sleep. People are shocked when I tell them I've never seen any of the Terminator or Matrix films, but the truth is that I have no desire to. As for scifi novels, I've read HHGG because I was told it was my kind of humour, which it was for the first two novels. I don't remember reading any others.

So why do I look for "big questions" from scifi shows? Because I look for them everywhere be they in TV, movies, novels, music, pictures or nature in general. And if I don't find them then it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the thing but the experience is richer if they are there.

By the way, I am currently suffering from the flu and appear to be pretty high on flu relief capsules, so that might account for that hippie bullshit I just wrote.