Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8 2009, 10:19 PM   #166
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

^But she doesn't pilot Vipers. I admit that I can't recall off the top of my head if Thrace has done something like shooting down a raider that would basically require a physical body in order for the reality the Galactica guys see and the real reality to synch up to an extent that they wouldn't be killed by a "nuke that isn't there" (this is why solipsism doesn't work in general incidentally).

On the other hand, that would be one trippy twist.
Old March 8 2009, 10:22 PM   #167
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
^But she doesn't pilot Vipers. I admit that I can't recall off the top of my head if Thrace has done something like shooting down a raider that would basically require a physical body in order for the reality the Galactica guys see and the real reality to synch up to an extent that they wouldn't be killed by a "nuke that isn't there" (this is why solipsism doesn't work in general incidentally).

On the other hand, that would be one trippy twist.
Ah, but her viper is special, remember?
Old March 8 2009, 10:27 PM   #168
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Right, her Viper was resurrected at the Earth hub in the bathtub next to her.

Okay, she did shoot some people during the mutiny, right? Do imaginary bullets leave real holes in people's heads?
Old March 9 2009, 12:58 AM   #169
DBR
Vice Admiral

In this episode, Boomer seemed surprised (regarding projection) when she asked Hera, "You can see this?" To me that implied non cylons can't project. So what's up with Baltar seeing Six all the time if he's not a cylon or halfbreed or XXXX...
Old March 9 2009, 01:20 AM   #170
arch101
Fleet Captain

[/quote]The great thing about nuBSG is that it allows a character like Adama to break down and cry. How many other SF-TV shows would allow their lead, commanding officer-type cry and have an emotional breakdown?[/QUOTE]

Another great thing about BSg is that it has the courage to have major characters refer to "getting more important business" done as they head to the toilet or, in Kara's case, have deep conversation while taking a leak. This show really DOES go where no others have gone before.
Old March 9 2009, 01:28 AM   #171
MPH
Rear Admiral

DBR wrote: View Post
In this episode, Boomer seemed surprised (regarding projection) when she asked Hera, "You can see this?" To me that implied non cylons can't project. So what's up with Baltar seeing Six all the time if he's not a cylon or halfbreed or XXXX...
Yeah but what Baltar is seeing is nothing to do with the Cylons the head people are something else, beings who have manipulated everything from the beginning.
Old March 9 2009, 01:30 AM   #172
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

Baltar isn't projecting. It's something else. Projection was invented way after the stuff Baltar was doing.
Old March 9 2009, 01:31 AM   #173
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

The great thing about nuBSG is that it allows a character like Adama to break down and cry. How many other SF-TV shows would allow their lead, commanding officer-type cry and have an emotional breakdown?[/quote]

Another great thing about BSg is that it has the courage to have major characters refer to "getting more important business" done as they head to the toilet or, in Kara's case, have deep conversation while taking a leak. This show really DOES go where no others have gone before. [/quote]

Yeah unlike the Enterprise we know where the "facilities" are on the Galatica

But that sort of thing does add an everyday element to the show that Trek has never had.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 9 2009, 02:22 AM   #174
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
When Baltar referred to Kara as one of the Angels, for a brief moment I thought that the new reborn Kara was actually one of the "head" characters, except that she was in everyone's head. But then I realized that wouldn't make sense as she clearly has a physical presence.
So does headSix, though. Baltar has sex with her all the time and touches her.
And Head Six also seems to physically pull Baltar to his feet, in front of witnesses, in the episode where Baltar and some of his harem are trying to get back into their compound, when a marine keeps beating on him to keep out.
Old March 9 2009, 02:41 AM   #175
Velocity
Rear Admiral

I've always liked science fiction for the way it examines the human condition. Watching how "humans" respond to having their world destroyed is very interesting. How would I respond in this situation? Do people exhibit the best qualities at a time like this or do they resort to the basest instincts to merely survive? These people have had hope squashed and some step up to the challenge and others kill themselves. I wonder how Adama will manage without Roslin's counsel and this is probably in his mind, too. How will he retain his identity as the Commander if his ship is gone? I suspect that they will find a place to live and one day they will be attacked by Cavil's group and will race to find the possibly mythical colonies only to find the nuked mess, etc. It has all happened before and will happen again because people just never learn.
Old March 9 2009, 03:57 AM   #176
georgerstewart
Cadet

Bear has some news regarding the whereabouts of the chief during this episode.
http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1671

"One of the biggest challenges of Islanded was actually scoring two different versions of it. In addition to the version you just watched, I also scored an extended version for the DVD release. Not only are many of the dialog scenes expanded, but there are several scenes that were cut entirely from the show that required substantial original music. One of these scenes established that Tyrol is now in the brig for his role in Boomer’s escape and kidnapping of Hera. I was disappointed that this story point was cut from the episode, since Chief’s arc last week was so emotionally powerful."
Old March 9 2009, 04:12 AM   #177
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Velocity wrote: View Post
Do people exhibit the best qualities at a time like this or do they resort to the basest instincts to merely survive?
Yes.
Old March 9 2009, 04:16 AM   #178
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
What is Lost about, exactly? It is a show about a battle for control over a magical island. It has time travel, electromagnets which can destroy the world, smoke monsters... It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.
What is Star Trek about, exactly? It's a show about a ship exploring the galaxy and finding mainly human beings in togas living everywhere. It has time travel, goofy plastic cones that eat planets, energy creatures...It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.
What is Battlestar Galactica about, exactly? It's about a spaceship fleeing an enemy that can destroy twelve planets in a day but can't bring themselves to finish off a few thousand straggling survivors. It has robots disguised as people, people who fly faster-than-light starships but are afraid of computers, "angels" that appear in peoples heads at random moments and tell them what to say...It is ridiculous crap, but it is entertaining and is very well produced.

No text, as the saying goes, can stand up to a hostile reading.
Old March 9 2009, 05:04 AM   #179
chrisspringob
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm curious about something. I've barely watched Lost (More like never other than a few clips here and there) and people call it the most imaginative, creative thing on TV. Now not knowing the context, I do know that the show has been doing a time travel theme lately. Given people's attitudes about time travel in Star Trek, and how that theme is such an old plot device anyway, why do people praise Lost so much again?
I don't hate time travel. I hate time travel done badly.....time travel that's governed by obviously self-contradictory rules, time travel in which there really are no rules to how it works, but for which the writers make up whatever situational rules makes the plot go in their preferred direction.

At least *so far*, Lost hasn't done that. They've more or less done time travel in a self-consistent manner, like 12 Monkeys.

Regarding the larger BSG vs. Lost debate, one thing that annoys me about both shows (but Lost is worse in this regard) is how they stretch out mysteries well beyond the point at which we the audience should by all rights have gotten the answers. The show then has to do backflips in order to justify this. For example, the only way to explain how no one ever talked about the Cylon backstory until "No Exit" is that Cavil is the only one who really knows anything, and he wiped everyone else's memory. Which is kind of silly, IMHO, but they'd written themselves into that corner.

On Lost, OTOH, there are countless characters (Widmore, Ben, Hawking, the Others, Dharma) who we keep running into who should by all rights know a great deal of the big picture, yet who never talk about it, and the Losties never really press them for answers. It's completely crazy.

I actually think both shows would have been better if the writers hadn't gone in with the assumption that resolving all the mysteries necessarily means that the show is over, and there's nothing left to do. I think it works better if you slowly reveal the big picture (and not save most of it for the last five episodes of the whole series), and eventually have pretty much the whole backstory laid out for the audience (well before the series is over). Then the final act of the story would be how our characters deal with this information, and what happens next.
Old March 9 2009, 05:11 AM   #180
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

'Lost' had a strong first season and then meandered aimlessly in circles around the island for seasons two and three.

It wasn't until TPTB put a constructive gun to the creators' heads and gave them a finite timeline (in response to dropping ratings) that the show's exponentially increasing loose plot threads started to get tied together.

The beginnings of closure feel very made-up-on-the-spot and contrived. Some of them are creative, but rarely do they feel organic to the evolution of the show.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show, but it is superficial pocorn-fare at best.

John Locke fascinated me early on, but his character has drifted too much and I just can't bring myself to care about him anymore.

The only character I care about anymore is Desmond, and that's probably only because I find him to be so earnest, and his love for Penny so endearing.

Other than that, the characters could live or die and I wouldn't care.

Most characters are only skin deep, and most don't seem to progress in any meaningful way or have to deal with the consequences of their actions. (Lost fans will no doubt disagree with me on this last bit, to be sure, but for me it's all just moving pawns around on a chess board. Nothing ever changes.)

And introducing time-travel is both a pretty distraction and a cop-out. I hope they cut that shit out now that "the record is no longer skipping."

At this point, I just want to see how it ends. And miles to go before I sleep.