Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 49 56.98%
Above Average 28 32.56%
Average 7 8.14%
Below Average 1 1.16%
Poor 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8 2009, 12:36 PM   #151
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: Lost 5x08: "LaFleur"

OK, here's a question:

In the three years that Sawyer and friends have been working for Dharma, have they actually gained any information about what Dharma is, and what they're doing on the Island, and what the nature of their conflict with the Hostiles is? In a rational world, the answer would be yes, but, knowing Lost, I'm kind of pessimistic on that score.

I love Lost, but one aspect of the story that I just find incredibly silly is the sheer number of characters we keep running into who must have at least some of the answers to the big questions (Ben, Widmore, Hawking, the Others, Dharma), yet who never ever give up any useful information.

I guess we'll find out in two weeks.
Old March 8 2009, 11:53 PM   #152
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I agree, they aren't too good at sharing notes with each other. If I were working for Dharma, I would sure be learning as much as possible.

A couple of things make me believe they have learned a lot though. For one, Sawyer is in Security, in fact head of security. He said they were searching the island for their people in "grids." So this makes me believe that Saywer and company now have a pretty good layout of the island, they know where things are, all the Dharma stations, and what geographical features the island contains. Also, Farady is most likely (since we saw him in a past episode) working at The Orchid. He could have picked up on a lot of information there. Being in something for 3 years, you are going to pick up on a lot of stuff. I am sure they've been around to the other Dharma stations, maybe even The Flame and seen outside transmissions.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 9 2009, 12:23 AM   #153
chrisspringob
Commodore

Brent wrote: View Post
I agree, they aren't too good at sharing notes with each other. If I were working for Dharma, I would sure be learning as much as possible.

A couple of things make me believe they have learned a lot though. For one, Sawyer is in Security, in fact head of security. He said they were searching the island for their people in "grids." So this makes me believe that Saywer and company now have a pretty good layout of the island, they know where things are, all the Dharma stations, and what geographical features the island contains. Also, Farady is most likely (since we saw him in a past episode) working at The Orchid. He could have picked up on a lot of information there. Being in something for 3 years, you are going to pick up on a lot of stuff. I am sure they've been around to the other Dharma stations, maybe even The Flame and seen outside transmissions.
Oh, I agree. Going by the standards of real life, it's unrealistic to expect that anyone would work for some organization for three years and have that kind of status in it, yet still not know what the purpose of the organization is, and what it's doing on the Island. All I'm saying is that, given Lost's track record on this kind of thing, I'm not taking it as a given that they've applied the logic of real life here.

Also, I don't really count "the Dharma stations, and what geographical features the island contains" as that important. I'm talking about "What is the Dharma Initiative? How did they know about the Island? What are they doing on the Island? What do they know about the Hostiles, and why are they in conflict with them?" as the relevant questions, which Sawyer and the others *should* know by know. Or even if some of that stuff is being kept secret by higher ups, those higher ups should have at least fed them some kind of convincing cover story by now. No one in real life would just accept "Don't ask those kind of questions" as an answer.....at least not for that long a period of time.
Old March 9 2009, 12:24 AM   #154
Gertch
Admiral

I wonder when the Orchid is built. What year is it when Daniel is shown there? If it's around the start of the 3 years period, does Miles run into his younger self if that is indeed him?
Old March 9 2009, 06:45 AM   #155
chrisspringob
Commodore

Someone on another board pointed out that what would be really messed up would be if young Ben ends up meeting Juliet, and develops a crush on her, which leads to his obsessive behavior with her when he's an adult.

Heck, maybe Ben still harbors resentment towards Sawyer for his relationship with Juliet, and that led to him including Sawyer on the list of people to be kidnapped at the end of Season 2.
Old March 9 2009, 02:46 PM   #156
Crewman47
Commodore

Has Sawyer and Juliet actually met Ben and his Dad yet cause according to the Lost timeline on Lostpedia there supposed to have arrived on the Island a few years before 1974 and Ben was more or less always based at the Barracks while his Dad did his job?

I'm also curious as to what happened to the other 815 survivors and if any of them has survived there trips through time. It was actually comforting knowing that the Sawyer and Jin still actually think about them and haven't forgotten about them.
Old March 9 2009, 02:56 PM   #157
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

One more thing that worries me about this episode: if Horace paired up with the lonely widow as seen in this episode, what about his relationship with Olivia?
Old March 9 2009, 02:59 PM   #158
ITL
Vice Admiral

I wonder if Sawyer and friends can be seen in the background of the Ben flashback episode?

Hmmm....
Old March 9 2009, 03:00 PM   #159
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

ITL wrote: View Post
I wonder if Sawyer and friends can be seen in the background of the Ben flashback episode?

Hmmm....
You know they'll retcon that eventually (in the same way as they brought in Sun and eventually Ana-Lucia in Jack's airport fuss scene with Jin in the background from season 1) in a future episode... I for one can't wait.
Old March 9 2009, 03:02 PM   #160
ITL
Vice Admiral

Yup!

But it would be really cool if they were put in there two seasons ago....

Old March 9 2009, 03:19 PM   #161
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Who knows. Maybe they actually were there, hidden as a "seed"... and we missed them.

(I remember the creators of Futurama pulled off similar tricks in two key scenes fairly early on in the show - one of them right in the very first episode, in fact. Thank goodness they were able to go back in the fourth season and see those seeds blossom...)
Old March 9 2009, 07:55 PM   #162
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Aside from the fact that they probably didn't think of this back then, that would be way too much of a spoiler. Having a regular cast member filmed in the background would be sure to leak and we'd have known about it by now.
Old March 9 2009, 08:10 PM   #163
ITL
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Aside from the fact that they probably didn't think of this back then, that would be way too much of a spoiler. Having a regular cast member filmed in the background would be sure to leak and we'd have known about it by now.
Yeah, what you say makes sense.

But...*gazes into middle distance*...a man can dream, can't he? A man can dream....

Old March 9 2009, 08:24 PM   #164
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Excellent. Great episode and count me in as another fan of Juliette. Kate grates on my nerves, especially when she doesn't do as asked/told. This episode did more to answer questions and shed light on the overall story.
Old March 9 2009, 09:54 PM   #165
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

could Richard Alpert and the statue be Ra (Rah), Egyptian God of the Sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra

Ra was said to take on many forms and be incredibly old as he would age with the sun.

Richard's initials are RA. Coincidence? I think not.

Possible theory though that I'm sure many have come up with.

Last edited by Oboro Bishamon; March 9 2009 at 10:08 PM.