Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 8 2009, 05:37 PM   #31
ClayHefner
Commander

Re: Did Enterprise happen in this Star Trek's past?

It's still possible Enterprise was just Riker's holodeck program, loosely based on historical events. Like T'Pol never actually got horny in reality, but Riker used to play Trip in his holodeck fantasy.
In any case, the awesomeness shield around this movie will make including Daniels or Future Guy very difficult.
ClayHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 07:13 PM   #32
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

StarMan wrote: View Post
^Wibbly wobbly... timey wimey.
I blinked, what does that mean?
Old March 8 2009, 07:20 PM   #33
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I blinked, what does that mean?
The angels have the police box, whatever the hell that means.
Old March 8 2009, 08:27 PM   #34
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Wrong forum.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

And then there's the entire "Temporal Cold War" which may or may not have happened
This may be *part* of the TCW. Who knows, Daniels' group may yet send operatives back to prevent Nero's birth or something.
It would be cool if we finally found out who Future Guy was, like if Nero said something along the lines that he tried to meddle in the 22nd century but it didn't work, so now he's trying it in the 23rd.
Future Guy DID have pointy ears...

As for First Contact, one of the great things about the alternate universe theory of time travel is that it prevents the grandfather paradox. You can change an event in the past that would ordinarily mess up the time travelers from the future because the time travelers' timeline still exists. At the point of Nero's incursion into the past, there are now multiple timelines, the Roddenberry/Berman timeline (universe A) and the Abrams timeline (universe B). Both have the same past, featuring the Enterprise E showing up from the future and the Borg that were left behind in Regeneration. The Enterprise E may never exist, or at least exist the same way in universe B. However, universe A still exists, from which the Enterprise E came, so the E still shows up in the A-B joint past.

Of course, there would actually be more than just the two universes, not only because of all the time travel events in Star Trek history, but because every possible outcome of every event exists according quantum theory, which Bob Orci is famous for saying (repeatedly) that the film is using for their time travel theory.
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 08:34 PM   #35
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Karnbeln wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
It would be cool if we finally found out who Future Guy was, like if Nero said something along the lines that he tried to meddle in the 22nd century but it didn't work, so now he's trying it in the 23rd.
Future Guy DID have pointy ears...
Really? I never noticed that. It would also imply a level of advance planning the ENT writers never seemed capable of. Mmh, do I really have to get out my ENT recordings?
Old March 8 2009, 08:42 PM   #36
M
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
papi_pol wrote: View Post
According to Canon storylines, Archer's Enterprise did in fact exist in the Trek Main storyline....

why? Archer's Holodeck experience shouldn't be in the Enterprise-D's databanks if it was in a different timeline.....
Did they really say that? Isn't this just speculation at this moment? Do you have a link?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 08:44 PM   #37
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
papi_pol wrote: View Post
According to Canon storylines, Archer's Enterprise did in fact exist in the Trek Main storyline....

why? Archer's Holodeck experience shouldn't be in the Enterprise-D's databanks if it was in a different timeline.....
Did they really say that? Isn't this just speculation at this moment? Do you have a link?
I'm pretty sure it was linked to on these boards (frankly, i don't go very much else for Trek news). Give me a bit to find it.
Old March 8 2009, 08:47 PM   #38
M
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was linked to on these boards (frankly, i don't go very much else for Trek news). Give me a bit to find it.
Yeah, of course. Thanks.
Old March 8 2009, 08:52 PM   #39
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Yeah, of course. Thanks.
No problems

Okay, I found *a* link. It might not be *the* link, but I suppose it says enough about the timeline as it is:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-...-real-science/

You can also say that I probably extrapolated some details for myself (or rather, put words in the writers' mouths). The article does indeed say that Nero's attack on the Kelvin is the pivotal moment that changes the timeline. What I took from it was how technology changed as a result of the attack, which was a bit of biased premature wishful thinking on my part. But the writers do go out of their way to use the Kelvin attack to explain why the Enterprise is built in Iowa instead of San Francisco like in TOS.
Old March 8 2009, 08:54 PM   #40
captcalhoun
Admiral

given what Orci said in the interview on trekmovie about certain things in the characters backgrounds being 'the same' in both timlines - like Kirk's rents being called Winona and George, or Scotty's transporter mishap, I'd guess that the divergence in the timeline comes sufficently after ENT so that it happened in both. say it happened in 2235 or 2250, that's well past the ENT time frame, so they have that in common.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 09:13 PM   #41
M
Vice Admiral

Okay, I found *a* link. It might not be *the* link, but I suppose it says enough about the timeline as it is:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-...-real-science/
Ah, cool. I hadn't read that. Interesting stuff. I'm very surprised at Orci's statement that the time travel in this movie is the cause for the different look of the Enterprise. I didn't think they'd try to find an in-universe explanation for that. Actually I really hoped they would not try to do that.

I loved that bit by Orci, though. I might quote that the next time someone rants about how they are destroying all previous incarnations of Trek.
Anthony: So everyone in the prime timeline, like Picard and Riker, are still off doing there thing, it is just that Nero is gone.
Bob: Yes, and you will notice that whenever the movie comes out, that whatever DVDs you have purchased, will continue to exist.
Old March 9 2009, 02:21 AM   #42
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
On the other hand we've seen a constitution class starship on Enterprise and it didn't look like JJ's Enterprise. This could be the Archer from ENT or a reboot Archer.
Too much interdimensional crap going on for that kind of thing to be meaningful. We saw one ship - not the Enterprise - pulled from a universe which we have reason to assume was the old TOS one (although there are minor visual differences).

The answer based solely upon the story logic we've been led to think is used in the movie would logically be that "Enterprise" would be unchanged in the JJverse. I think that's unlikely, though, in terms of visuals at least, and it may never come up at all.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 02:43 AM   #43
miraclefan
Commodore

I would like to see ''or'' hear some mention of ENTERPRISE, since that was my favorite series(The best was DS9) It's Possible that after the attack on starfleet by Nero, that there is some dialoge about this attack being worse then the XINDE attack of 2153, or ''something'' like that.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 03:10 AM   #44
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Cky wrote: View Post
I saw someone state earlier that there was a Consitution Class in ENT and it looked like the TOS and not JJ's (obviously). But surely you can just throw the words "time travel" and "parrell universe" in there and it's all settled .
I just say "New Movie/New Look" and all is settled.

I don't need a parallel universe explanation. The simple fact that it is a new film being made by new people with new design ideas is enough for me.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 03:13 AM   #45
M
Vice Admiral

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Cky wrote: View Post
I saw someone state earlier that there was a Consitution Class in ENT and it looked like the TOS and not JJ's (obviously). But surely you can just throw the words "time travel" and "parrell universe" in there and it's all settled .
I just say "New Movie/New Look" and all is settled
Yeah, that's what I always figured, too. And it's what I would have preferred. But Orci's statements seem to contradict this.