Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 8 2009, 03:29 AM   #76
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile
Re: Facebook... officially lame

*pokes Goji*
Old March 8 2009, 03:48 AM   #77
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Facebook was always lame. I like my myspace much more.
I basically stopped going to my Myspace page within weeks of making my Facebook page. I haven't been back in years, and good riddance. Most Myspace pages look like someone vomited out HTML code and made a website with it.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:50 AM   #78
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

mimic wrote: View Post
Ack! My Dad just friend-requested me.

I'm mostly worried about him asking me about one of the BBS people I've friended on facebook...not sure how I'd explain that one, since he doesn't get the whole 'online community' thing and would probably think doubleoh or someone will use my info to find and murder me - not that I put my address on facebook, 'cause I don't.
^ That would actually be why I never told my parents about Myspace or Facebook... my dad never wanted us to have one because he is worried about us kids getting raped by a 65 year old guy named Bubba while he steals our identity. Too bad he doesn't realise that common sense is a pretty good defence against that sort of stuff.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 04:00 AM   #79
troisboobs
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to troisboobs Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to troisboobs

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I basically stopped going to my Myspace page within weeks of making my Facebook page. I haven't been back in years, and good riddance. Most Myspace pages look like someone vomited out HTML code and made a website with it.
Agreed, Myspace is a pile of shit! FBook is neat and clean, although I feel like over the past year its becoming more like myspace, with the stupid "25 things" going around
troisboobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:52 AM   #80
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

troisboobs wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Agreed, Myspace is a pile of shit! FBook is neat and clean, although I feel like over the past year its becoming more like myspace, with the stupid "25 things" going around
I thought the apps were getting really annoying and Myspace-ish, but since the design update where they don't display on a person's profile page I'm happy. I only have 2 apps anyway, one with my Xbox Live gamercard and one with my Steam info.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:08 AM   #81
RoJoHen
Awesome

Australis wrote: View Post
My parents on FB wouldn't embarrass me intentionally, and I'd have to live with that, in a grin-and-bear-it way

By the same token, one of my kids has a FB account but I'm not bothering him. He may not approve of what his old man does
For me it's mostly the pictures. There are so many photos of me on facebook in situations (read: drunk off my ass) that I'd simply rather my parents never see.
Old March 8 2009, 06:11 AM   #82
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I stopped regularly using Facebook a couple of years ago. I claim to be one of the first British users, as I was an undergraduate at St Andrews when it first arrived in these shores in 2004. When the floodgates opened, and anyone could join, I knew it's day was up.

When I joined it was a genuinely useful tool for keeping track of friends and events at uni, but now it's just an irritant. Even my Dad joined.

A passing fad? If only.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:35 AM   #83
RoJoHen
Awesome

Tomalak wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I'm waiting for the day when Facebook merges with Google to take over the world.
Old March 8 2009, 08:23 AM   #84
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
mimic wrote: View Post
Ack! My Dad just friend-requested me.

I'm mostly worried about him asking me about one of the BBS people I've friended on facebook...not sure how I'd explain that one, since he doesn't get the whole 'online community' thing and would probably think doubleoh or someone will use my info to find and murder me - not that I put my address on facebook, 'cause I don't.
^ That would actually be why I never told my parents about Myspace or Facebook... my dad never wanted us to have one because he is worried about us kids getting raped by a 65 year old guy named Bubba while he steals our identity. Too bad he doesn't realise that common sense is a pretty good defence against that sort of stuff.
I figure if someone wants to murder me, they can do so here randomly. There's no need to learn my identity and stalk me to do it.
Old March 8 2009, 09:33 AM   #85
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I'm waiting for the day when Facebook merges with Google to take over the world.

And it will be called SkyNet, and it will become self aware.
Old March 8 2009, 09:49 AM   #86
Cicero
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I just wish there was a 'cool FB' .
It's impossible - because cool people are out doing stuff, not talking shit on the internet.
Originally, TheFaceBook was just a neat way to stay in touch with friends. There wasn't much talking or other interaction - only messaging, which might as well have been e-mail, and "poking," which was mostly occasional.
Old March 8 2009, 12:49 PM   #87
Australis
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I don't think that will happen, but there may very well be a GBook one day, alongside GMail, GWord, all on GOS.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 02:21 PM   #88
Mark de Vries
Commodore

View Mark de Vries's Twitter Profile

Goji wrote: View Post
I am shocked, SHOCKED that doubleoh warrants a mention as being possibly mistaken for a potential murderer and I don't.
Or FrontLine. Thank heavens he's only been spotted with clothes on on FB...
Mark de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2009, 09:22 AM   #89
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

I am on Facebook, My sister is on it too but she uses it less often than I do.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2009, 03:52 PM   #90
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

One of my mom's friends joined Facebook and sent her an invitation. Mom has the good sense to ask me whether you should join or not. I told her probably not. And then I told her about this thread.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote