RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,910
Posts: 5,330,965
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 536
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 8 2009, 03:29 AM   #76
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral
 
Capn Flukie's Avatar
 
Location: Flukie
View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile
Re: Facebook... officially lame

*pokes Goji*
__________________
I am an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, stuffed with wild mushrooms, and served on a bed of fresh greens.
Capn Flukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:48 AM   #77
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Facebook... officially lame

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Facebook was always lame. I like my myspace much more.
I basically stopped going to my Myspace page within weeks of making my Facebook page. I haven't been back in years, and good riddance. Most Myspace pages look like someone vomited out HTML code and made a website with it.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:50 AM   #78
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Facebook... officially lame

mimic wrote: View Post
Ack! My Dad just friend-requested me.

I'm mostly worried about him asking me about one of the BBS people I've friended on facebook...not sure how I'd explain that one, since he doesn't get the whole 'online community' thing and would probably think doubleoh or someone will use my info to find and murder me - not that I put my address on facebook, 'cause I don't.
^ That would actually be why I never told my parents about Myspace or Facebook... my dad never wanted us to have one because he is worried about us kids getting raped by a 65 year old guy named Bubba while he steals our identity. Too bad he doesn't realise that common sense is a pretty good defence against that sort of stuff.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 04:00 AM   #79
troisboobs
Lieutenant Commander
 
troisboobs's Avatar
 
Location: Buenos Aires
Send a message via AIM to troisboobs Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to troisboobs
Re: Facebook... officially lame

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Facebook was always lame. I like my myspace much more.
I basically stopped going to my Myspace page within weeks of making my Facebook page. I haven't been back in years, and good riddance. Most Myspace pages look like someone vomited out HTML code and made a website with it.
Agreed, Myspace is a pile of shit! FBook is neat and clean, although I feel like over the past year its becoming more like myspace, with the stupid "25 things" going around
troisboobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:52 AM   #80
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Facebook... officially lame

troisboobs wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Facebook was always lame. I like my myspace much more.
I basically stopped going to my Myspace page within weeks of making my Facebook page. I haven't been back in years, and good riddance. Most Myspace pages look like someone vomited out HTML code and made a website with it.
Agreed, Myspace is a pile of shit! FBook is neat and clean, although I feel like over the past year its becoming more like myspace, with the stupid "25 things" going around
I thought the apps were getting really annoying and Myspace-ish, but since the design update where they don't display on a person's profile page I'm happy. I only have 2 apps anyway, one with my Xbox Live gamercard and one with my Steam info.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:08 AM   #81
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Facebook... officially lame

Australis wrote: View Post
My parents on FB wouldn't embarrass me intentionally, and I'd have to live with that, in a grin-and-bear-it way

By the same token, one of my kids has a FB account but I'm not bothering him. He may not approve of what his old man does
For me it's mostly the pictures. There are so many photos of me on facebook in situations (read: drunk off my ass) that I'd simply rather my parents never see.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:11 AM   #82
Tomalak
Vice Admiral
 
Tomalak's Avatar
 
Location: Liverpool
View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: Facebook... officially lame

I stopped regularly using Facebook a couple of years ago. I claim to be one of the first British users, as I was an undergraduate at St Andrews when it first arrived in these shores in 2004. When the floodgates opened, and anyone could join, I knew it's day was up.

When I joined it was a genuinely useful tool for keeping track of friends and events at uni, but now it's just an irritant. Even my Dad joined.

A passing fad? If only.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:35 AM   #83
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Facebook... officially lame

Tomalak wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I'm waiting for the day when Facebook merges with Google to take over the world.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 08:23 AM   #84
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Facebook... officially lame

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
mimic wrote: View Post
Ack! My Dad just friend-requested me.

I'm mostly worried about him asking me about one of the BBS people I've friended on facebook...not sure how I'd explain that one, since he doesn't get the whole 'online community' thing and would probably think doubleoh or someone will use my info to find and murder me - not that I put my address on facebook, 'cause I don't.
^ That would actually be why I never told my parents about Myspace or Facebook... my dad never wanted us to have one because he is worried about us kids getting raped by a 65 year old guy named Bubba while he steals our identity. Too bad he doesn't realise that common sense is a pretty good defence against that sort of stuff.
I figure if someone wants to murder me, they can do so here randomly. There's no need to learn my identity and stalk me to do it.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 09:33 AM   #85
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: 23.17.46.11
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: Facebook... officially lame

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I'm waiting for the day when Facebook merges with Google to take over the world.

And it will be called SkyNet, and it will become self aware.
__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 09:49 AM   #86
Cicero
Admiral
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Location: The City of Destiny
Re: Facebook... officially lame

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I just wish there was a 'cool FB' .
It's impossible - because cool people are out doing stuff, not talking shit on the internet.
Originally, TheFaceBook was just a neat way to stay in touch with friends. There wasn't much talking or other interaction - only messaging, which might as well have been e-mail, and "poking," which was mostly occasional.
__________________
Ad majorem futuri gloriam.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 12:49 PM   #87
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: Facebook... officially lame

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post
A passing fad? If only.
I'm waiting for the day when Facebook merges with Google to take over the world.
I don't think that will happen, but there may very well be a GBook one day, alongside GMail, GWord, all on GOS.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 02:21 PM   #88
Mark de Vries
Commodore
 
Mark de Vries's Avatar
 
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
View Mark de Vries's Twitter Profile
Re: Facebook... officially lame

Goji wrote: View Post
I am shocked, SHOCKED that doubleoh warrants a mention as being possibly mistaken for a potential murderer and I don't.
Or FrontLine. Thank heavens he's only been spotted with clothes on on FB...
Mark de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2009, 09:22 AM   #89
USS Fardell
Captain
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell
Re: Facebook... officially lame

I am on Facebook, My sister is on it too but she uses it less often than I do.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2009, 03:52 PM   #90
Caretaker
Commodore
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker
Re: Facebook... officially lame

One of my mom's friends joined Facebook and sent her an invitation. Mom has the good sense to ask me whether you should join or not. I told her probably not. And then I told her about this thread.
__________________
Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
facebook

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.