Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8 2009, 12:54 AM   #136
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Adama at his worse was probably in Hero, where he started crying because he thought that sending a spy ship two clicks inside the Cylon border that triggered the war. That led to his biggest drama queen moment when he attempted to resign his post and Roslin had to lecture him like a little child not to.
I thought you meant this season only. I'd probably be in a ball in the corner if I was in Adama's position.
Old March 8 2009, 12:56 AM   #137
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Why settle for one thing when you can get the whole package? I know Lost sets a very high standard for TV shows, but the standard exists and it's silly to ignore it out of some misguided loyalty to what is, after all, just a silly TV show about killer robots in space.
Temis, I could kiss you for writing that! There's a line I never thought I'd type.

Mr Awe
Old March 8 2009, 01:00 AM   #138
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
You don't get to make that decision, since you were never the showrunner.
Because I'm a show viewer, you bet I get to make that call.
Funny, that the show is still the same though, isn't it?
Why is that funny? As viewers, we each get to form our own opinion. I never stated, or even suggested, that the show would change based on my opinion.

Its just that lately, everyone and their mother is all about Plot, Plot Plot and some more Plot.
I, and others, have been pointing this out for some time now. And, why settle for less? It's possible to do both, characters and plot. I'm not letting them off the hook just because I'm a fan.

A soap is just bad and unimaginative characterdrama, mainly focussing on love-relationships between extremely cliched characters.
Yep, been there, done that with the quadrangle thingy.

Mr Awe
Old March 8 2009, 01:01 AM   #139
sidious618
Admiral

I can't really see how LOST is better than BSG. I love LOST but it doesn't have the finesse nor the maturity of Battlestar.
Old March 8 2009, 01:02 AM   #140
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
I truly wish that one day there could be a forum in which a thread dedicated to a specific episode can maintain thoughtful discussion of said episode without devolving into juvenile arguments about what is 'filler' or 'not filler' -- whatever the fuck 'filler' means in the first place. Is this really the only response some people have to these episodes?
I've elaborated in my posts why the last 3 episodes have been bland. I don't think I've used filler, at least not much.

Mr Awe
Old March 8 2009, 01:05 AM   #141
sidious618
Admiral

I'm at the point where I think it'd be funny if Ron didn't answer any of the questions in the three hour finale just so I could see the shitstorm here.
Old March 8 2009, 01:23 AM   #142
Gregsmack
Captain

I truly wish that one day there could be a forum in which a thread dedicated to a specific episode can maintain thoughtful discussion of said episode without devolving into juvenile arguments about what is 'filler' or 'not filler' -- whatever the fuck 'filler' means in the first place. Is this really the only response some people have to these episodes?
I've elaborated in my posts why the last 3 episodes have been bland. I don't think I've used filler, at least not much.

Mr Awe
I've seen your posts, and while I disagree with your opinions on the episodes I don't necessarily have a problem with what you write. Generally I don't have a problem with what anyone one poster writes. It's just that once one person makes a trite criticism it snowballs into the entire thread.

There's a lot of work that goes into each episode, and I think every scene has enough going on that an entire episode's worth of them can easily spark at least 20 pages of good thread discussion -- anything from plot to direction to dialog to whatever! There's a LOT to talk about, and this is why we're all here anyway. The problem is that most posters tend to ignore a lot of what goes on in each episode, and instead use the word 'filler' like a reflex if there are no momentous plot-changing events. And then in the end, discussions end up being about everything but what we've seen in the specified 45 minutes of screen time.

I find that, after a while, the good discussion eventually comes out. I understand that most fans are excitable as each episode airs because I am too, so sometimes it's difficult for a discussion to stay objective and actually critical (as opposed to complaining). Once the series ends I think a lot of people will be able to grasp the whole a lot better (me included). Whether or not anyone will enjoy it is a matter of taste, but at least we'll have a complete understand of what exactly this series was supposed to mean.

Also, just so I don't come off as an apologist for the show's flaws, I want to say that even though I am one of the BIGGEST BSG fans around and I genuinely think that for the most part this series has been excellent -- among the best in TV's history, even -- I am still skeptical that RDM and co will be able to pull this finale off. I don't necessarily think there's a reason for them NOT to, but I've seen weirder things happen. That being said, I like to stay critical of things. I want this show to earn it, because I really think it can.
Old March 8 2009, 01:23 AM   #143
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Those looking for a happy ending will be disappointed. After all the series as taken its audience through, who can say with a straight face that they ACTUALLY expect a happy ending of any sort?
I'm not sure who these mystical people are who are expecting a happy ending? That's really not BSG's style and I don't think most people are expecting one.

I've posted this before, but, the happiest ending that's reasonably possible is that the colonials get to colonize a new world while not being harrassed by Cavil's forces. They're looking at basically a planet bound, subsistence living for awhile until they can rebuild a technological civilization. That's the best case! To do that, they have to both find a planet and keep Cavil's forces away.

The possibilities get worse from there . . .

Mr Awe
Old March 8 2009, 01:26 AM   #144
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I can't really see how LOST is better than BSG. I love LOST but it doesn't have the finesse nor the maturity of Battlestar.
Lost is better in any number of ways IMO:
-it balances expertly both character and plot much better

-it is much more imaginative in its concepts and ideas

-it has better plot twists and revelations

-it unabashedly embraces its mythology and its serialized nature to where it dedicates every episode to it not just ever so often. Lost is a series that actually makes the most of serialization in a way I've really never seen before.

-it actually remembers its numerous threads and develops them whereas BSG which isn't nearly as ambitious in terms of what it has to keep up with forgets them or drops them altogether.

-It has a cast as large as BSG but it juggles them around giving them more to do and bringing them more effectively into the story than BSG.

-the writers are better at making material fit in the episode without losing important scenes.

-it is better paced and covers ground like there is no tomorrow. Every episode is crammed to the point where it is overflowing with story.

-it has mastered alternating storylines to the point where every thread is engaging and holds your interest.

-it knows how to develop a season long arc and to actually execute a slow burn and build up to the finale instead of the puttering BSG has a bad habit of doing.

-It has far more characters you actually care about

-It doesn't resort to the stylish pretentious habit that BSG has of the close up shaky camera on the actor as their face contorts in a grimace in order to notify the audience that a dramatic scene is in progress.

-Its villians are much more interesting. I'll take Ben or Widmore over Zarek or the Cylons.

-And from a purely structural standpoint Lost is a work of art and form as far as its assembly. How the writers put each episode and season together of such a complex series with the grueling demanding schedule of a weekly network series impresses the hell out of me.

-And most importantly it is more fun and entertaining.
Old March 8 2009, 01:31 AM   #145
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Shrug, ok. In my opinion, the lack of planning and attention to the plot as the show progressed is the reason why we're now left with the last three episodes which had some nice character moments peppered throughout but not much else.

We've got watered down soup. The writers didn't come up with enough plot to last to the end of the series. So, they take there characters, put them together, have them shout and cry, reminisce, etc. Now, nothing wrong with those character moments and they actually came off pretty well. But, the series suffers when that's the majority of the material.

You're free to be happy with less however.

Mr Awe
Old March 8 2009, 02:36 AM   #146
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

One thing in fairness to BSG but I think it was a mistake for Sci-Fi to give them twenty episodes a season. Those kind of dramas function a lot better with a 13-episode run where the storylines are a lot tighter and there's less filler. BSG started losing focus and control over continuity when it expanded to 20 episodes. I wish Sci-Fi had kept BSG at 13 episodes per season.
Old March 8 2009, 02:37 AM   #147
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

I, and others, have been pointing this out for some time now. And, why settle for less? It's possible to do both, characters and plot.
It's possible, but not neccessary. It's not "less", it's just different.
You like to have it both ways and thats fine. But just because BSG episodes like this one isn't your cup of tea because of that, doesn't mean its bad writing.
It just isn't your taste, thats all.
Old March 8 2009, 02:53 AM   #148
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
-And most importantly it is more fun and entertaining.
As with all of this, that is a matter of opinion. I love Lost, but have always found BSG to be far more entertaining. I'm not going to list the reasons why, because I don't feel the need to justify my enjoyment of the show or try and convince anybody that their opinion is "wrong."
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old March 8 2009, 03:12 AM   #149
scotthm
Rear Admiral

the happiest ending that's reasonably possible is that the colonials get to colonize a new world while not being harrassed by Cavil's forces.
That's assuming the series ends in the near future. What if the series ends 1,000 years in their future, after civilization is booming again? They may have generations to go before Cylons are built again--presuming the cycle hasn't been ended. It doesn't have to end on a sour note.

To be honest with you, at this point, I'm not expecting a very satisfying ending.

---------------
Old March 8 2009, 05:10 AM   #150
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I wonder what Cavil's gonna do with Hera onboard V'ger.
I see I am not the only one that was reminded of V'ger. Was that the colony or just a huge Cylon spaceship?