Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 6 2009, 09:07 AM   #16
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

AxelFoley wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'll stick to my DVD's, Bluray sucks.
??????

In what way?
In a way that makes people much more picky about the picture quality. And in a way that makes it a living hell for us collectors.
I still don't get what you're saying. Blu-ray is making people more discriminating? And that's a bad thing? I'm not sure what your point is.

I got a bluray for Christmas and in just a few months I've been absolutely amazed by the movies I've seen -- not new movies, but the classics, like Casablanca, Patton, and 2001. The crystal-clear HD picture quality on these old movies just blows my mind. This isn't any kind of upgrade, this is picture quality that was already present that VHS and DVD didn't allow you to see because it only allowed for limited resolution on a standard television set. To see these movies now closer to the way they were originally shown in the theater is a bad thing? Until I saw these movies on bluray, I had no idea just how much of them I just wasn't seeing. It was like seeing them for the first time.

I can see not wanting to spend the money on upgrading. If I didn't get the bluray as a gift, I wouldn't spend the money on it yet. There are some DVD sets, too, I'm fine with never ugrading to bluray if they were release them, like thr first two seasons of Twilight Zone and Lost. But those play on my bluray, too, so I don't see what sucks about it. It's like wanting to go back to VHS because... well, just because.

EDIT: Come to think of it... anyone here have the whole Star Trek collection on VHS? Back in the day I bought like fifteen episodes. A couple episodes of TNG, too. Anyone here have every format released so far, VHS, DVD, and now buying the bluray?
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^Yeah i spent a absolute fortune buying the old CIC video release of Star Trek......£10.99 a video for two episodes........They are now lying at the back of a cupboard somewhere......i also have them on DVD.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 11:49 AM   #18
AxelFoley
Commander

??????

In what way?
In a way that makes people much more picky about the picture quality. And in a way that makes it a living hell for us collectors.
I still don't get what you're saying. Blu-ray is making people more discriminating? And that's a bad thing? I'm not sure what your point is.

I got a bluray for Christmas and in just a few months I've been absolutely amazed by the movies I've seen -- not new movies, but the classics, like Casablanca, Patton, and 2001. The crystal-clear HD picture quality on these old movies just blows my mind. This isn't any kind of upgrade, this is picture quality that was already present that VHS and DVD didn't allow you to see because it only allowed for limited resolution on a standard television set. To see these movies now closer to the way they were originally shown in the theater is a bad thing? Until I saw these movies on bluray, I had no idea just how much of them I just wasn't seeing. It was like seeing them for the first time.

I can see not wanting to spend the money on upgrading. If I didn't get the bluray as a gift, I wouldn't spend the money on it yet. There are some DVD sets, too, I'm fine with never ugrading to bluray if they were release them, like thr first two seasons of Twilight Zone and Lost. But those play on my bluray, too, so I don't see what sucks about it. It's like wanting to go back to VHS because... well, just because.

EDIT: Come to think of it... anyone here have the whole Star Trek collection on VHS? Back in the day I bought like fifteen episodes. A couple episodes of TNG, too. Anyone here have every format released so far, VHS, DVD, and now buying the bluray?
People bitching about the "poor" quality on DVD's in the future? Yeah, I call that a bad thing. I can't stand what I like to call picture & sound-fags with the mambo-jambo talk about the different tracks, resolution and whatnot. Though keep in mind I wasn't all that blown away with the upgrade from VHS to DVD.

As for the collector part, I am a collector, and I like my collection to look good. Having, for an example 11 Star Trek films on DVD, and next to them (in a couple of years) are 2 Bluray DVD's of part 12 & 13, because DVD no longer exists. It will look crap in the shelf, which is why I sold off my 250+ VHS tapes to start all over again with DVD's a couple of years ago, now it seems I may have to start all over again just a few years later? Fuck that.

This is just a personal opinion though, not everyone is as much of a neat-freak as I am when it comes to collecting.
Old March 6 2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Hahaha, what a great question. I have presently:

Three early VHS tapes with the "two episode per" that shocased certain episodes.

Laserdisc - full series
VHS - Paramount first run/1 episode each: full series
Columbia House: Full series
DVD: All 40 individual volumes
The season box sets
TOS-R seasons 2 & 3
HD-DVD: TOS-R season 1

Actually, at this point, I'm going for getting the series in every format it has or is oging to be released on. Might as well. :-)
Old March 6 2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

As for the collector part, I am a collector, and I like my collection to look good. Having, for an example 11 Star Trek films on DVD, and next to them (in a couple of years) are 2 Bluray DVD's of part 12 & 13, because DVD no longer exists. It will look crap in the shelf, which is why I sold off my 250+ VHS tapes to start all over again with DVD's a couple of years ago, now it seems I may have to start all over again just a few years later? Fuck that.

This is just a personal opinion though, not everyone is as much of a neat-freak as I am when it comes to collecting.
Your posts make it seem like you value the way the boxes look on the shelf more than how the content looks and sounds...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 03:51 PM   #21
AxelFoley
Commander

Doug Otte wrote: View Post

Your posts make it seem like you value the way the boxes look on the shelf more than how the content looks and sounds...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug
You're wrong. It's just a plus if it looks good on the shelf. Like I said earlier, I think the picture & sound is good the way it is.
Old March 6 2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

You're wrong. It's just a plus if it looks good on the shelf. Like I said earlier, I think the picture & sound is good the way it is.
Have you seen Trek or anything else in HD? If not, then you don't know how much better it can look and sound. Best to keep an open mind and consider what others of us are writing about our experience w/ HD.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 08:14 PM   #23
AxelFoley
Commander

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Have you seen Trek or anything else in HD? If not, then you don't know how much better it can look and sound. Best to keep an open mind and consider what others of us are writing about our experience w/ HD.

Doug
Yes I have, I got this great "whop-de-do" feeling about it.
Old March 7 2009, 01:12 AM   #24
skylark
Commander

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I got TOS-R in HD-DVD and was blown away by the quality of the film transfers. Star Trek has never looked so good. I'm looking forward to getting Seasons 2 and 3 in Blu-ray, especially now that they're including both the original AND the remastered special effects, which means I'll (gladly) get Season 1, as well.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 01:32 AM   #25
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

People bitching about the "poor" quality on DVD's in the future?
They are poor quality, whether you want to accept it or not. Even a theatrical film from sixty years ago is losing over half its resolution when transferred to DVD.

TV is another thing altogether, of course. I've got some TV series collections on DVD, and I'm basically getting the same picture quality I got when I watched it on television originally. But feature films are different.

Were you just as upset when people stopped accepting pan-and-scan format on VHS?

Yeah, I call that a bad thing. I can't stand what I like to call picture & sound-fags with the mambo-jambo talk about the different tracks, resolution and whatnot.
I'm not a video- or audio-phile, so I can't go that far, but I don't see how seeing films more like they were originally meant to be seen is a bad thing.

I've got a spot where I keep my DVDs and another spot where I keep my blurays. You can still play your DVDs on bluray, you know.

To each his own, though. I suggest you watch a few classic films on bluray, though. It may change your mind. If not, well, again, to each his own.
Old March 7 2009, 06:53 AM   #26
AxelFoley
Commander

Were you just as upset when people stopped accepting pan-and-scan format on VHS?
I don't remember such a thing, when did this occur?

I've got a spot where I keep my DVDs and another spot where I keep my blurays. You can still play your DVDs on bluray, you know.
Yeah, I know you can. Well, there's limited space as it is for me right now, and I like to keep everything together.
Old March 7 2009, 07:11 AM   #27
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

I spent a fortune on the VHS tapes, which are still on my shelves as I don't know what the hell to do with them.

Then I bought the 2 eps per disk DVDS of TOS.

That's all they're getting out of me, unless a time comes when a DVD machine doesn't work.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:20 PM   #28
Eddie Roth
Commodore

Quality is never a bad thing. I have resisted the Blu-Ray technology so far, but now that players are slowly reaching affordable prices, I might get one soon enough. And this new ST release is just the excuse I need, as it has both versions on it. And there is an immense difference between seeing the show (or any other film, for that matter) in HD as opposed to SD. You don't want to go back once you've seen the level of detail and sharpness, the colors etc that HD offers.

DVD remains good enough, and I'm keeping the Star Trek DVDs I have, but any new purchase would be Blu-Ray.
Old March 9 2009, 03:30 AM   #29
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I spent a fortune on the VHS tapes, which are still on my shelves as I don't know what the hell to do with them.

Then I bought the 2 eps per disk DVDS of TOS.

That's all they're getting out of me, unless a time comes when a DVD machine doesn't work.
The weary battle cry of the Star trek fan I'm afraid, and then we buckle under once the programming kicks in again.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 07:04 AM   #30
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

Nope. I didn't get the three season sets, when they replaced the double ep version and I didn't buy the remastered.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote