Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2009, 06:24 AM   #46
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

These last three episodes might be masterpieces but it won't make up for me anyway for the clumsy journey to get there. Instead of every episode for the most part being solid, attention-getting, necessary and improving on the one before it-this season and last season were choppy at best with no mastery of consistent storytelling with episodes whose inclusion seemed weak or worse pointless.

It is clear they never had enough material to sustain twenty episodes and it shows painfully. As much as Moore considered BSG the anti-Voyager show, this wrap up reminds me of the Voyager finale where everything was saved for it and less like DS9 where the buildup was riveting for the most part and very little in the way of waste. In fact, DS9 had so much material it was clear they didn't get to all of it.
Old March 7 2009, 06:26 AM   #47
Agent Richard07
Retired

Velocity wrote: View Post
Poor Tory. She only gets to sit around and look. She never speaks anymore. Her character has had little to do. Only Simon does less.
I wonder if the Chief will ever find out what she did.
Old March 7 2009, 06:27 AM   #48
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

But what happened to Chief Tyrol? Did they know that he beat the 8 who just died and that he helped Boomer escape? Is he in the brig?
I don't think they found out, last we saw he regreted his action, but he didn't tell anyone, so no one knows.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 7 2009, 06:28 AM   #49
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Poor Tory. She only gets to sit around and look. She never speaks anymore. Her character has had little to do. Only Simon does less.
I wonder if the Chief will ever find out what she did.
Well maybe it would have been nice to have learned little bit more about Tyrol/Tory's relationship on Earth. Afterall we briefly learned they were planning to get married but like so many other ideas offered up by the show over the last few years it looks to have been left behind and forgotten.
Old March 7 2009, 06:51 AM   #50
Non Sync
Captain

Who wants to see Galactica become reborn just like Kara's Viper?
Old March 7 2009, 06:58 AM   #51
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Did we... did we see Roslin and Adama share a spliff in the infirmary?
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old March 7 2009, 06:59 AM   #52
Bisz
Rear Admiral

This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
Old March 7 2009, 07:08 AM   #53
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I don't understand the negativity toward this episode. I really liked this one! It would be really funny if Sam became Galactica's hybrid. It begs the question, if Galactica jumped into Cavil territory, would the raiders even be able to attack it? The raiders were able to detect Sam before and disengage, surely they wouldn't attack a hybrid battlestar?
Old March 7 2009, 07:08 AM   #54
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post
This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
thanks for the review. I guess I won't be dling this episode. synopsis it is. Seriously BSG had such potential and then it pissed it all away. I wonder who is going to screaming this time around that BSG "deserves" an emmy.
Old March 7 2009, 07:17 AM   #55
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I voted Excellent after this episode hovered at Above Average. Loved the last few minutes and it was an excellent set-up to the series finale. A lot of good stuff here, like the end scene and Tigh's scene with Ellen. Everything with Tigh is gold.
Old March 7 2009, 07:28 AM   #56
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Average. This one just didn't have much pizzazz. There were a few touching moments and then it ended. I've also realized that the last 3 episodes, which were all sort of lackluster, should have been combined into one episode which would've been fantastic. Just take the best moments of the last 3 episodes and wow. As it was, the plot developments over the past 3 episodes didn't warrant 3 episodes. It seems like the writers have just been sleep walking through these last several.

So, it looks like things are going to kick up a notch next week. Good. About time. The end is near. *yawn*

Mr Awe
Old March 7 2009, 07:32 AM   #57
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

kipron wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong.
the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.
No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot are developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.

It's funny because BSG's premise is more up my alley than Lost's premise. However, the execution on Lost is so much better that I typically end up enjoying its episodes more.

Mr Awe

Last edited by Mr Awe; March 7 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old March 7 2009, 07:41 AM   #58
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
scotthm wrote: View Post
Nothing of significance happened.

---------------
I disagree whole heartedly
Hmm, let's check in with the episode then to evaluate your assessment:

More welding
Sam still in a coma but, wait, now he's spouting nonsense
Hera still on route
Boomer visits her imaginery house again
Opera house vision repeats
Thraces rehashes that she died and is reborn
Final Five don't do squat
Adama is sad that Roslin is dying

I can keep going but the theme is clear. It's just more of the same stuff dragging out. I see people saying, but, but, it's buildup. Sure, but buildup doesn't have to be bland. And, again, Lost has mastered building up both the plot and characters simultaneously. With good writing, buildup doesn't have to have these bland patches.

One good line, Tigh, "Come back when you're 100% sure" in reference to the ship destroying itself!

Mr Awe
Old March 7 2009, 07:46 AM   #59
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.
No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot or developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.

It's funny because BSG's premise is more up my alley than Lost's premise. However, the execution on Lost is so much better that I typically end up enjoying its episodes more.

Mr Awe
That's been the problem with the writing on BSG. The writers had ideas for issues they wanted to tackle. War, torture, genocide, how one would survive, etc. But it's clear they had no idea what to do with the Cylons are are making it up as it goes along.
Old March 7 2009, 07:47 AM   #60
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot or developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.
I agree with you 100%. Lost is the most serialized and complex show I've ever seen. It does everything well. It isn't flawless but it is a show that I can appreciate on many levels.

It has proven that you can do a heavily serialized show without any fillers for the most part. It shows how to alternate between threads and to make almost every single one interesting so that when you focus on a different plot arc you find yourself enjoying it as much as the others. It has engaging characters. It is dramatic without resorting to the heavy-handedess of BSG with the over-the-top dramatic scenes and reliance upon those close-up intense facial shots to sell the idea.

It also shows how to do an effective slow burn where you build interestingly towards the climax and that the journey to that narrative point is just as satisfying as the finale itself.

And Lost is a show you can also appreciate for simply the structure and the way it is assembled--timing reveals at just the right moment for impact, the way it develops a storyline over a season, how everything that is seemingly unconnected at the start of a new season plausibly folds into each other without feeling contrived or forced, how you can step back and mentally visualize the evolution of separate threads and their connection to others. Lost is a show I don't mind investing the extra effort into whereas I'm far less concerned or diligent about absorbing every detail or wanting to go back and rewatch episodes of BSG.