RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,921
Posts: 5,478,454
Members: 25,052
Currently online: 645
Newest member: johnclever25

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 50 26.18%
Above Average 80 41.88%
Average 43 22.51%
Below Average 14 7.33%
Poor 4 2.09%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2009, 06:24 AM   #46
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

These last three episodes might be masterpieces but it won't make up for me anyway for the clumsy journey to get there. Instead of every episode for the most part being solid, attention-getting, necessary and improving on the one before it-this season and last season were choppy at best with no mastery of consistent storytelling with episodes whose inclusion seemed weak or worse pointless.

It is clear they never had enough material to sustain twenty episodes and it shows painfully. As much as Moore considered BSG the anti-Voyager show, this wrap up reminds me of the Voyager finale where everything was saved for it and less like DS9 where the buildup was riveting for the most part and very little in the way of waste. In fact, DS9 had so much material it was clear they didn't get to all of it.
startrekwatcher is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:26 AM   #47
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Velocity wrote: View Post
Poor Tory. She only gets to sit around and look. She never speaks anymore. Her character has had little to do. Only Simon does less.
I wonder if the Chief will ever find out what she did.
Agent Richard07 is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:27 AM   #48
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Velocity wrote: View Post
But what happened to Chief Tyrol? Did they know that he beat the 8 who just died and that he helped Boomer escape? Is he in the brig?
I don't think they found out, last we saw he regreted his action, but he didn't tell anyone, so no one knows.
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:28 AM   #49
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Velocity wrote: View Post
Poor Tory. She only gets to sit around and look. She never speaks anymore. Her character has had little to do. Only Simon does less.
I wonder if the Chief will ever find out what she did.
Well maybe it would have been nice to have learned little bit more about Tyrol/Tory's relationship on Earth. Afterall we briefly learned they were planning to get married but like so many other ideas offered up by the show over the last few years it looks to have been left behind and forgotten.
startrekwatcher is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:51 AM   #50
Non Sync
Captain
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Who wants to see Galactica become reborn just like Kara's Viper?
__________________
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"
Non Sync is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:58 AM   #51
AJBryant
Fleet Captain
 
AJBryant's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Did we... did we see Roslin and Adama share a spliff in the infirmary?
__________________
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 06:59 AM   #52
Bisz
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
__________________
"In general, living kills you..."
Bisz is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:08 AM   #53
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Fine's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON
View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

I don't understand the negativity toward this episode. I really liked this one! It would be really funny if Sam became Galactica's hybrid. It begs the question, if Galactica jumped into Cavil territory, would the raiders even be able to attack it? The raiders were able to detect Sam before and disengage, surely they wouldn't attack a hybrid battlestar?
Captain Fine is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:08 AM   #54
Tomato
Rear Admiral
 
Location: T.O. in Canada eh!
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Bisz wrote: View Post
This episode was a turd, in a rather long line of turds. I do hope that they manage to get to something at least resembling a wrap-up before thsi train wreck of a TV show ends.
thanks for the review. I guess I won't be dling this episode. synopsis it is. Seriously BSG had such potential and then it pissed it all away. I wonder who is going to screaming this time around that BSG "deserves" an emmy.
Tomato is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:17 AM   #55
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

I voted Excellent after this episode hovered at Above Average. Loved the last few minutes and it was an excellent set-up to the series finale. A lot of good stuff here, like the end scene and Tigh's scene with Ellen. Everything with Tigh is gold.
DarthPipes is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:28 AM   #56
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Average. This one just didn't have much pizzazz. There were a few touching moments and then it ended. I've also realized that the last 3 episodes, which were all sort of lackluster, should have been combined into one episode which would've been fantastic. Just take the best moments of the last 3 episodes and wow. As it was, the plot developments over the past 3 episodes didn't warrant 3 episodes. It seems like the writers have just been sleep walking through these last several.

So, it looks like things are going to kick up a notch next week. Good. About time. The end is near. *yawn*

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:32 AM   #57
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

kipron wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong.
the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.
No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot are developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.

It's funny because BSG's premise is more up my alley than Lost's premise. However, the execution on Lost is so much better that I typically end up enjoying its episodes more.

Mr Awe

Last edited by Mr Awe; March 7 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Mr Awe is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:41 AM   #58
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Brent wrote: View Post
scotthm wrote: View Post
Nothing of significance happened.

---------------
I disagree whole heartedly
Hmm, let's check in with the episode then to evaluate your assessment:

More welding
Sam still in a coma but, wait, now he's spouting nonsense
Hera still on route
Boomer visits her imaginery house again
Opera house vision repeats
Thraces rehashes that she died and is reborn
Final Five don't do squat
Adama is sad that Roslin is dying

I can keep going but the theme is clear. It's just more of the same stuff dragging out. I see people saying, but, but, it's buildup. Sure, but buildup doesn't have to be bland. And, again, Lost has mastered building up both the plot and characters simultaneously. With good writing, buildup doesn't have to have these bland patches.

One good line, Tigh, "Come back when you're 100% sure" in reference to the ship destroying itself!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:46 AM   #59
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
kipron wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong.
the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.
No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot or developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.

It's funny because BSG's premise is more up my alley than Lost's premise. However, the execution on Lost is so much better that I typically end up enjoying its episodes more.

Mr Awe
That's been the problem with the writing on BSG. The writers had ideas for issues they wanted to tackle. War, torture, genocide, how one would survive, etc. But it's clear they had no idea what to do with the Cylons are are making it up as it goes along.
DarthPipes is offline  
Old March 7 2009, 07:47 AM   #60
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
kipron wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong.
the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.
No, sorry, it really isn't. The BSG writers should've looked to Lost to see how to write an excellent extended story where both the characters AND plot or developed week in, week out. BSG suffers because the writers can't seem to do both at the same time.
I agree with you 100%. Lost is the most serialized and complex show I've ever seen. It does everything well. It isn't flawless but it is a show that I can appreciate on many levels.

It has proven that you can do a heavily serialized show without any fillers for the most part. It shows how to alternate between threads and to make almost every single one interesting so that when you focus on a different plot arc you find yourself enjoying it as much as the others. It has engaging characters. It is dramatic without resorting to the heavy-handedess of BSG with the over-the-top dramatic scenes and reliance upon those close-up intense facial shots to sell the idea.

It also shows how to do an effective slow burn where you build interestingly towards the climax and that the journey to that narrative point is just as satisfying as the finale itself.

And Lost is a show you can also appreciate for simply the structure and the way it is assembled--timing reveals at just the right moment for impact, the way it develops a storyline over a season, how everything that is seemingly unconnected at the start of a new season plausibly folds into each other without feeling contrived or forced, how you can step back and mentally visualize the evolution of separate threads and their connection to others. Lost is a show I don't mind investing the extra effort into whereas I'm far less concerned or diligent about absorbing every detail or wanting to go back and rewatch episodes of BSG.
startrekwatcher is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
cylons, grading & discussion, hera

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.