To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 7 2009, 03:33 AM   #31
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

I feel victimized.

Am I supposed to react defensive or cravenly apologetic?

You clearly don't care about context while throwing around a word like nigger hidden underneath some PC PVC raincoat hoping to parasitically latch onto the coattails of another oppressed minority because it will make your case. Using the suffering and plight of African Americans to advance your argument is superbly tolerant how?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 03:40 AM   #32
teya
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I feel victimized.

Am I supposed to react defensive or cravenly apologetic?

You clearly don't care about context while throwing around a word like nigger hidden underneath some PC PVC raincoat hoping to parasitically latch onto the coattails of another oppressed minority because it will make your case. Using the suffering and plight of African Americans to advance your argument is superbly tolerant how?
Obviously you have no idea what Native American history was.

Throw around all the racist terms about us you like.

Obviously the moderators have no problem with it.

As for your depiction of the indigenous people of Central and South American as "not Native Americans"... you're still wrong.
Old March 7 2009, 03:50 AM   #33
kimc
Coffee Mod

Okay - that's enough. I'm closing this thread pending a warning decision.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:45 PM   #34
kimc
Coffee Mod

Okay, I've consulted with my fellow mods in the BR and we're going to give this another try. If anyone is still interested in the original topic of (checks subject line) last name issues if Chakotay were to get married then have at it.

Guy Gardener: You may or may not have been aware that "squaw" was derogatory when you used it. I know it's next to impossible to avoid offending someone on the Internet but when it happens a simple "I'm sorry I did not mean to offend you." can go a long way in avoiding drama. If the person you offended won't accept the apology then it becomes THEIR problem, not yours. Your overreaction only made things worse. Next time you offend someone (hey, there's always a next time for all of us) aplogize then BACK OFF.

teya: I can sympathize with being annoyed at all the racial and gender garbage that goes on around here. Unfortunately, we can't moderate the attitudes of those who post here. All we can do is strike a balance between the right to free speech and the desire to make the forum a place that's comfortable for anyone to post in. It's a compromise that means walking a fine line and how to best walk that line is an ongoing discussion in the BR.

In the meantime, if anything bothers you the thing to do is either pm the poster in question or hit the "Notify" link with your complaint. This generates an automated message to the forum mods that all the other mods and admins can also see in the BR. Getting into it with another poster ruins the thread for all the other posters.

If either of you have any questions or comments then please feel free to pm me.

Okay, everyone can get back into the pool now.

Old March 9 2009, 11:03 AM   #35
Lucy of Nine
Commander

Hang on, I THOUGHT Chakotay WAS his last name...
??!?!
Lucy of Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 11:10 AM   #36
NathanielM
Captain

Goddamn if Chakotay isn't a gay ass dude, he bloody better should be...

What a worthless trek character. Chak = Janeway's Bitch...

if I wrote a script like Yar in Next Generation. I would provide a really good death scene... And whack his ass...

any ideas? Here is your chance to write a GOOD death scene for Chak..

LOL!!!

Nathaniel
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 11:37 AM   #37
Brit
Captain

There isn't any such thing as a cool death scene for anyone. There are many many Chakotay fans just like there are many, many Janeway fans. No Trek character is worthless.

Brit

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They took the magnificent Ben Vereen and made him just Geordie's Pa.
They took the magnificent Teri Hatcher and made her into some floozie for the OUTRAGEOUS Okanna to rut.
They took the magnificent Christina Loken and they made her Kims fake incestuous horny sister.

Others.

It's debatable if there are worthless characters but there have certainly been acters stuffed into tiny characters possibly beneath them if they didn't need the job to make rent.

Old March 10 2009, 02:30 AM   #39
kimc
Coffee Mod

NathanielM wrote: View Post
Goddamn if Chakotay isn't a gay ass dude, he bloody better should be...

What a worthless trek character. Chak = Janeway's Bitch...

if I wrote a script like Yar in Next Generation. I would provide a really good death scene... And whack his ass...

any ideas? Here is your chance to write a GOOD death scene for Chak..

LOL!!!

Nathaniel
Okay, we get it that you don't like Chakotay. No need to be trollish about it. Besides, the thread is about his last name, not about how he should die.

Old March 10 2009, 11:39 PM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I had a completely new thought on the matter.

Remember that time when Harry as being a dick in the Omega Directive proving that he wasn't a team player who couldn't follow orders (Well unless it was a Hirogen dipping a rifle barrel his throat telling his how to be a treasonous race traitor.) and Seven decided that he was too poor at his assigned task that he was redesignated with a different name to symbolize demoted repositioning in the work detail?

Anika probably had plenty of different Jobs in the Collective over the years and numerous different designations which were specific to each job. Her name kept changing and it was like winning a game of roulette that her name was "Seven of Nine" when she met the Voyager Crew.
If Seven marries Chuckles, they became a new subcollective of just two, and she might be concerned by the nature of "exactness" to change her name to a title fitting her position a part of the two.

So which one of them is one of Two and which one of them is Two of Two?

I believe the fairest way to sort it out might be that whichever one of them cowboys up and actually does the proposing is One of Two more so than... And their numbers would change again still as their subcollective grows as they have children. Though how would the children feel about their names being fluidic and changing every time Mommy gets knocked up? Talk about a new reason to resent the incumbent younger siblings.

Old March 11 2009, 05:29 PM   #41
freak
Commodore

Wow, this is so confusing it's giving me a migrane! I've never thought of that..Maybe it would be either Chakotay of Nine yada yada yada, or Chakotay Hanson? Hell, I have no idea!
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 03:28 PM   #42
ria 75
Fleet Captain

Location: The other side of the frog pond ----------------- Avatar by Wicca who Wonta

Whoops - I just re-read my last paragraph and noticed a lapsus calami. I meant, in a hypothetical generational ship with more men than women (not less), technically, one would consider polyandry.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I had a completely new thought on the matter.
(...)
If Seven marries Chuckles, they became a new subcollective of just two, and she might be concerned by the nature of "exactness" to change her name to a title fitting her position a part of the two.

So which one of them is one of Two and which one of them is Two of Two?

I believe the fairest way to sort it out might be that whichever one of them cowboys up and actually does the proposing is One of Two more so than... And their numbers would change again still as their subcollective grows as they have children. Though how would the children feel about their names being fluidic and changing every time Mommy gets knocked up? Talk about a new reason to resent the incumbent younger siblings.
That's creative of you Guy, but Chakotay wouldn't stand for it anyway.

Better see the Borg aspect of Seven's identity, of her name, as something inherited from the past, like a maiden name that goes away in marriage (unless one is being modern about it and, sorry Iguana, but a lot of non-anglo-saxon wives still take on their husband's name for tradition or love - not that it's wise, considering the divorce statistics). Using a Borg system like that in her new family would be carrying her past a little too far for Seven. She has gradually grown away from it and started resenting borg-ness.

Last edited by ria 75; March 14 2009 at 03:48 PM.
ria 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 04:13 PM   #43
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

I was going to chime in and say that I know lots of people don't exchange their names at all, but I see that's already been said. But I'd say that if Chkotay doesn't have a last name (which I have no clue about) that he might have taken his bride's last name, had she not been Seven of Nine. Her name is complicated too, and since everyone on board would know them already, and accept them as a couple (as disturbing as that seems to me) - I don't think there would be any exchange of names, simply because of the circumstances.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2009, 06:24 PM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Queen (Chakotay's Motherinlaw.) refered ato the Borg at least nce because of some extremely clucky writer as "My Children" and albeit briefly, the Indian has been part of the Borg, well part of two different Borg Collectives in his time which would eother quallify him as Seven's brother under "Borg Law" or become suddenly the same person that their relation would be some sort of out of body attempt at masturbation.

Remember, after modern is post modern and after that is super post modern, so goodness knows how "super" postmodern Voyagers ethos is when half the time their moral core is entirely questionable...

Like either of them would agree to "Obey" the other one if a western marriage ceremony was to take place, which we has seen once or twice. What were the words used in other ceremonies we have seen?

Old March 19 2009, 09:49 PM   #45
KimM
Rear Admiral

^ obey oshmay!

how about they both take Smith as their last name! Seven Smith and her husband Chakotay Smith. and thier offspring the Smithereens.
KimM is offline   Reply With Quote