Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 5 2009, 09:51 PM   #46
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Re: The Beatles

Kryton wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Despite John's claim (and he was SLIGHTLY prone to exaggeration from time to time)
Now now...remember, what he REALLY meant was that the Beatles were TALLER than Jesus.

Well . . . . except for Ringo . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 10:34 PM   #47
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Ringo did kinda luck out with the Beatles thing.

I don't dispute the man's talent at drums, but c'mon now...
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 10:45 PM   #48
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
Ringo did kinda luck out with the Beatles thing.

I don't dispute the man's talent at drums, but c'mon now...
The situation was lucky for him, yes, but he was also the perfect drummer for them. He fulfilled his roles - drummer, once-an-album singer, and the less-serious one - to a T, and his drumming was always tasteful and never flashy, allowing the songwriting talents of the rest of the group to shine.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 10:54 PM   #49
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

I think Ringo should be credited with keeping them together. I've heard that Pete Best's good looks overshadowed John, Paul, and George. If he had stayed, that may have caused group instability. Plus, with Ringo, there was one less creative prima donna in the group.
Old March 5 2009, 10:55 PM   #50
ITL
Vice Admiral

Also, what about experimental songs like Tomorrow Never Knows? The drum part - though powerful and tight - is very limited and repetitive, which IMO is exactly what the song needs for that locked-into-a-groove droney feel.

A drummer such as Keith Moon wouldn't have done that, I feel. He'd have been all over the kit in that flashy way of his - and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Moon's drumming. The man was a drummy god.

So yes, Ringo was limited in some areas. But he shone in others.

BTW - I LOVE the drumming on Rain and She Said, She Said. '66 was a good year for Ringo.
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 11:02 PM   #51
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
I think Ringo should be credited with keeping them together. I've heard that Pete Best's good looks overshadowed John, Paul, and George. If he had stayed, that may have caused group instability. Plus, with Ringo, there was one less creative prima donna in the group.
And Ringo was/is genuinely funny. His presence contributed quite a bit to the Beatles humor and charm, particularly during the famous first trip to America.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 02:00 AM   #52
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

The Beatles wouldn't have been the the Beatles without Ringo. My comment meant exactly what it implied--Ringo's a shorty (as in NOT very tall).

Ringo's "talents" can be debated til the cows come home but, as John himself pointed out, they didn't become THE BEATLES until Ringo joined. He had (has) personality and unique style of playing that was favored by John and Paul's tendencies to experiment. Part of the charm of the entire group was how they could manage such incredible music despite certain limitations. None of them could read or write music. John himself stated he was not "technically" a good guitarist. But, he pointed out, he was an artist and a creative human being and therefore capable of making someting out of whatever tools he had to work with.

A LOT of what makes a group or a person successful is "personality". Ringo brought that in by the truckload. I'd put him second only to John as far as quick wit goes and, as bizarre as John's observations could become, Ringo's balanced by being mundane and very ordinary. I mean, it was Ringo who took cans of beans in a suitcase to India and the Maharishi's camp, for crying out loud, because he couldn't stomach the local food.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Old March 6 2009, 02:47 AM   #53
Kryton
Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
A drummer such as Keith Moon wouldn't have done that, I feel. He'd have been all over the kit in that flashy way of his - and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Moon's drumming. The man was a drummy god.
The best way I ever heard it was shortly after Keith's death in '78.

Ringo kept time. Keith PLAYED the drums.

Love 'em both for different reasons but couldn't agree with that phrase more.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 05:20 AM   #54
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
The best way I ever heard it was shortly after Keith's death in '78.

Ringo kept time. Keith PLAYED the drums.

Love 'em both for different reasons but couldn't agree with that phrase more.

How about this one? Keith Moon was a great drummer. Ringo made a great Beatle!

Old March 6 2009, 08:11 PM   #55
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

Ringo is definitely a musicians friend when it came to the drums. A perfect time keeper and a master at interesting fills.
Old March 6 2009, 10:01 PM   #56
kitkat
Admiral

I don't know where I would start and/or end so I'll just say that The Beatles are amazing! Absolute perfection as far as I'm concerned. I won't argue my point against anyone because it doesn't matter to me what other people think. They are the single greatest music group ever. No one can touch them in my eyes.

All of this is of course, IMO.

Past, present and future walked into a bar...it was tense.
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 10:09 PM   #57
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

stoneroses wrote: View Post
I have met Sir Paul McCartney and he was so friendly. He spoke to both me and my girlfriend when we bumped into him on his own in Regent's Park in London. He was intersted where we where from and so humble. Top bloke!
I agree. I met him years ago, in a restaurant.

I was eating dinner with my girlfriend at the time. A group of people walked by, and a young kid about eleven was fishing something out of his pocket and dropped a watch on the floor.

I picked it up, followed them to their table, and gave the watch back to the kid. No big deal.

Ten minutes later, I noticed Paul McCartney walk in. A minute after that, he comes up to our table and thanks me for giving his son the watch back. It had been a gift.

Very nice guy. No drama.

And from the glances, he certainly appreciated my girl's big tits, too.

Joe, ditto
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 10:42 PM   #58
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

When the HELL is "Let It Be" getting a release? Last time it was on home video was in the very early '80s when VHS was new-ish...and it's NEVER been on DVD.
Do you like watching road accidents too?
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 12:23 AM   #59
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Some people say "Let it Be" is their worst album. I honestly think it's their best...or at least no worse than their other work.

I'm not sure about the video, though. Never seen it.
Old March 7 2009, 12:29 AM   #60
Kryton
Admiral

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
When the HELL is "Let It Be" getting a release? Last time it was on home video was in the very early '80s when VHS was new-ish...and it's NEVER been on DVD.
Do you like watching road accidents too?
Well, the 3 or 4 times I saw it, I never really felt that way. It was like watching someone falling out of love...or, better put, coming to the realization that what they once had they can never quite re-attain.

It was the best of times for them and the worst of times. I doubt Brian Epstein would have even allowed the filming of it had he been alive at the time.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote