Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 4 2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Faldor
Fleet Captain

View Faldor's Twitter Profile
Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

It's good. Makes a lot less sense if you haven't read the book, but a reasonable argument could be made that you don't deserve to enjoy the film if you haven't read the book.

(an equally reasonable argument could be made that, yes you do)

there's not much changed in the plot that much until near the end, some things happen in a slightly different order and the flashback structure doesn't flow as nicely as it did in the comic but... it's the comic put on screen. frames from the panels made into shots.

It's very violent, It deserves it's 18 rating for more than just Doctor Manhattan's big blue willy. Could the story have been told without so much of it? Probably, did this comic have this much? Yes. but there's something more horrific in film then on the page. Still, I'd rather this than a watered down '12' rated version... yuk!

one problems I had with Zack Snyder's take, I haven't seen his other films I haven't seen, uses speed ramps in the film leaving the impression that the heroes have superpowers or at least buffy style super strength.

It's closer to it's source material than 'V for Vendetta' but like that example it works better as a companion piece after you read the original than standing as a film in it's own right.
Old March 4 2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Dream
Admiral

Faldor wrote: View Post
one problems I had with Zack Snyder's take, I haven't seen his other films I haven't seen, uses speed ramps in the film leaving the impression that the heroes have superpowers or at least buffy style super strength.
That sounds like the director of 300 all right. Well at least it will look cool.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

there's a review at www.atthemoviestv.com
of course Lyon's is a prick, and like every other review he does, he sounds like he's just taking his review off a shelf somewhere, where he's just reading the film's publicity material
Old March 4 2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Technobuilder
Commodore

A

Saw it Monday night, never having read the source material. I thought it was great.
The comic is now on the top of my reading list. Nice to know the hype wasn't blown totally out of proportion.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 05:49 AM   #20
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Yet another preson, who never read the comic, but really enjoyed the movie. The comic is coming I'm gonna have to read. A-
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 07:16 AM   #21
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Elim, Did you get the Trek trailer in your session as well? Thought the movie was disappointingly average. Having read the novel, I wasn't expecting it to exceed in quality, but considering the talent involved, hoped that it would at least match it. Patrick Wilson, as always, was brilliant and the direction / cinematography top notch, but the pacing and script left a lot to be desired. C+

Also, Matthew Goode irritated the hell out of me. I think it was the hair.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 11:53 AM   #22
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

I liked the full-frontal bluedity.
Old March 5 2009, 12:29 PM   #23
Skywalker
Admiral

I'll probably be seeing this either next Monday or Tuesday. I'm in the middle of re-reading the comic right now. Looking forward to the movie.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 07:19 PM   #24
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
I liked the full-frontal bluedity.
My ex-girlfriend said the same thing. She liked that he was a "shower" not a "grower" otherwise it would've been less fun seeing the 'bluedity'.

Me I'd have preferred more Silk Specter!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Dream
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'll probably be seeing this either next Monday or Tuesday. I'm in the middle of re-reading the comic right now. Looking forward to the movie.
I consider myself a fast reader but it's taking me a long time to reread it. There is just so much story packed into each page.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 02:56 AM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatness of Roger Ebert:

From where [Dr. Manhattan] stands, he might as well be regarding a termite. Why does he even bother to make love with Laurie Jupiter? Not for his own pleasure, I'm convinced. And not to father a Little Manhattan, either, because as I understand his body he would ejaculate only energy. Could be fun for Laurie, but no precautions needed, except not to be grounded at the time.
Link
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 04:40 AM   #27
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I tend to have a Love/Hate relationship with Roger Ebert. Sometimes he is very perceptive, one of few critics I admire. But sometimes he is this other guy, coming of like some of the people who post here and are fixated on inane details. That Ebert is a nut! His Watchmen review is clearly from the Insightful Ebert!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 05:07 AM   #28
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

I dunno, the trailer for this movie looks pretty lame! I just can't understand the praise it's getting!

Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 05:34 AM   #29
mosh
Ensign

Just got back from a midnight showing.

Verdict:

Terrible.

More tommorow.

EDIT: 80% of the scenes fell flat, as they were lifted straight out of the comic book. Most of the actors had no insight into their characters, merely thought they were acting out some tome, so the scenes fell short and the acting felt either melodramatic or wooden.

Most insight were gutted from the book (E.g Rorshach's changed scene with the Swat Team, Silk Spectre's characterization, e.g.) at best, reducing character's dimensions to the grand total of one, and at worst, destroying the story, literally leaving the film as pointless. Can any of you tell me what this film was about? I can tell you what the graphic novel was about... this film... not so much.

On a tangent, the audience for this film gave me more of an unfortunate insight into humanity than this film could ever hope to achieve. I came out disappointed, and men from their late twenties to their early forties celebrated the film as some revelation, making me fear deeply for the place of fiction in society. If people can't abdicate their stupid beliefs for two hours, more or less, then we might be heading to a very dark place indeed...

Then again, they could put on these beliefs for the benefit of their group, as soon as the credits rolled... So maybe someone in the Renfrew St Cineworld, Glasgow, felt the same as me.

On a positive note, That Zach Snyder must have been some music video director. Nat King Cole's 'Unforgettable' played over The Comedian's execution was very enjoyable.

Last edited by mosh; March 6 2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Saying more.
mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 08:31 AM   #30
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Solid B+.

They generally got the important stuff in. The one major piece of adaptation (the change to the ending) I thought was actually quite brilliant.

Acting was pretty good; Haley the obvious standout in the showiest role. Crudup didn't really sound like I thought Manhattan would, but I quickly got used to it. Akerman is probably the weakest link, but she was really hot, so I'm easy to please.

I missed a couple of lines here and there (I really wanted Manhattan to use the term "thermodynamic miracle", for example; for me, that phrase just brought home the think he was making).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote