Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5 2009, 07:55 PM   #256
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Raz wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
"The one reborn" is probably either Starbuck, or Daniel.
At this point I'm so amazingly sick of Daniel theories I just want the guy to be dead, gone, never come back, never mentioned again, etc.
I think you're probably right. Daniel will have something to do with Caprica, but on Galactica regular, he's a just an unseen part of the show's prehistory (like Joseph Adama).
I agree - I don't think Daniel will become wildly important to BSG. He's a setup character for Caprica, fills the 'why is Boomer an '8'' plot question, and makes some kind of sense out of Starbuck's "specialness". He's a handy plot contrivance.
Old March 5 2009, 09:51 PM   #257
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^^ I'm not sure. If he wrote the song, I think he's something more important. I don't think he's the Cylon god but he's more than just a plot contrivance too.

Mr Awe
Old March 6 2009, 12:18 AM   #258
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

I'm rewatching the "big revelation" scene again and again since I've first seen the episode, and I'm still amazed at how good it is.

When I saw the episode for the first time, I didn't immediately get that Slick=Daddy=not-real vibe, as most of you did. Maybe I was a little too dense that evening, or maybe it was the fact that I was spoiled about the "Watchtower" reveal and so concentrated on that part. On first viewing, I even missed the fact that Slick was gone the moment Tigh grabbed Kara.

However, what makes the scene so great, in my opinion, is the fact that, upon reviewing, all of this really didn't came as some big punch-in-the-gut surprise out of nowhere but instead just fell into place naturally - and that this feeling is shared between the viewer and the character in the scene.

There is some sense of inevitability to all of this - just like the viewer, Kara seems to know that something is up with that guy, at least on an unconscious level. She is not at all surprised that this stranger is her dad, as you can see by the Father/Daughter interaction from her memories being so casually repeated by her and Slick.

For that scene alone: Excellent!
Old March 6 2009, 12:28 AM   #259
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^^ I'm not sure. If he wrote the song, I think he's something more important.
He didn't write the song. Sam played it on Earth 2,000 years prior. How Head!Dad came to know it, and what its significance truly means, remains to be seen.
Old March 6 2009, 05:56 AM   #260
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post

Will Almodovar do a BSG project someday?
"Tigh me up, Tigh me down" (with Penelope Cruz as Ellen AND Sol)
Then Almodovar could follow up with Baltar Education. Some wicked stuff with Head Baltar and Head Six... yikes!
Old March 6 2009, 04:16 PM   #261
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
He didn't write the song. Sam played it on Earth 2,000 years prior. How Head!Dad came to know it, and what its significance truly means, remains to be seen.
I totally agree that it remains to be seen. Certainly, it's possible that the song predated this guy.

However, I think it's easy to assume that this guy, if he is Daniel, goes back to at least as far back as the Final Five. So, he'd be contemporaneous with the song at the very least. That, combined with the fact that he is a musician, suggests to me that he wrote it.

But, again, it's all uncertain. I also have another theory that the head people/person are from a previous iteration in the cycle and that Kara's father is all the head people but appearing differently to each person. So, he'd predate the time of the Final Five and again could've written the song.

But, I'm not putting money on any of those theories!

Mr Awe
Old March 6 2009, 04:32 PM   #262
Agent Richard07
Retired

Brad and I were very concerned about getting an actor who could actually play the piano and work with you on the set. Nankin suddenly had an idea: “Why don’t we have Bear audition for the part?” Brad and I thought we had nothing to lose and you were game for it so we brought you in.

I thought you did a great job for a non-actor. But we realized we needed a professional actor who could deliver all of the emotional nuances and levels to the character and hold his own on screen with Katee Sackhoff. No small challenge. Then I became very uptight. Oh man, we have to tell Bear we aren’t going to cast him and he learned all those lines and came in to audition, which can be a mortifying experience – what have we in our collective madness done?
Read it all.
Old March 6 2009, 09:26 PM   #263
RoJoHen
Awesome

However, I think it's easy to assume that this guy, if he is Daniel, goes back to at least as far back as the Final Five. So, he'd be contemporaneous with the song at the very least. That, combined with the fact that he is a musician, suggests to me that he wrote it.
If he is Daniel, then we know he doesn't go back as far as the Final Five. Daniel was one of the Skinjobs that the Final Five created long after they left Earth.
Old March 6 2009, 10:03 PM   #264
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Guartho wrote: View Post

I didn't realize it was the same song until I came in here. I thought it was another song they recognized. I'm chalking it up to how loooooong it's been since that episode and the fact that BSG is the only place I've heard it.
How could you not recognize that song? It's so distintive. Plus, Tigh goes " WHAT... THE.... FRAK?? ", then Tory says "That's the song!". Why would they do that to just any old song they recognize?

And it's been used since Crossroads, as the final five theme that Bear composed, it underscores a lot of scenes subtly, and sometimes like Revelations and Sometimes a Great Notion the song is played overtly again.
Old March 6 2009, 10:05 PM   #265
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
I totally agree that it remains to be seen. Certainly, it's possible that the song predated this guy.

But, again, it's all uncertain. I also have another theory that the head people/person are from a previous iteration in the cycle and that Kara's father is all the head people but appearing differently to each person. So, he'd predate the time of the Final Five and again could've written the song.

But, I'm not putting money on any of those theories!

Mr Awe
RDM says Anders wrote the song in his podcast, saying it was an implication that wasn't made clear in "Notion"
Old March 6 2009, 10:31 PM   #266
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Yeah, Anders definately wrote it.
Old March 7 2009, 08:13 PM   #267
flux_29
Commodore

With all those eights walking around Athena may have to get a tattoo so Helo can recognize her.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
Old March 8 2009, 02:08 PM   #268
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Excellent. A clear step up from the previous episode (even manages to straighten out one or two things that bothered me about Deadlock).

I absolutely adore this kind of episode. It's character driven yet effortlessly moves the plot forward. It's absolutely engaging and beautiful to behold at the same time. I just adore the look and feel and the music on this show. They recognize how powerful this is when making a show.

Plus I was expecting a lot about Starbuck (which we got). But never expected what we got with the Chief and Boomer - chilling.