Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2009, 10:48 PM   #31
Kryton
Admiral

Re: The Beatles

When the HELL is "Let It Be" getting a release? Last time it was on home video was in the very early '80s when VHS was new-ish...and it's NEVER been on DVD.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 01:02 AM   #32
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
But there are those who can't separate the music since the Beatles from the contribution and evolution of mainstream rock that the Beatles were when they were first popular. Like saying silent films are crap because they're in black and white, the acting is over-exaggerated and there's no sound.
And when was the last time you actually sat down to watch a silent movie? I would guess very rarely, and you're far more likely to watch a movie that was made after you were born that you can relate to more.

History lessons are great, if I'm in the mood for a history lesson. But when I want to listen to interesting and challenging rock music made by and for adults, the Beatles are about the last thing I'll put on.

I can't help but notice ITL's Robert Fripp avatar, and think about how Fripp's album Exposure blows away anything the Beatles ever did, IMHO.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 01:42 AM   #33
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
But there are those who can't separate the music since the Beatles from the contribution and evolution of mainstream rock that the Beatles were when they were first popular. Like saying silent films are crap because they're in black and white, the acting is over-exaggerated and there's no sound.
And when was the last time you actually sat down to watch a silent movie? I would guess very rarely, and you're far more likely to watch a movie that was made after you were born that you can relate to more.

History lessons are great, if I'm in the mood for a history lesson. But when I want to listen to interesting and challenging rock music made by and for adults, the Beatles are about the last thing I'll put on.

I can't help but notice ITL's Robert Fripp avatar, and think about how Fripp's album Exposure blows away anything the Beatles ever did, IMHO.
I love Robert Fripp, I love Exposure, but you still couldn't be more wrong.

Anyone with a rudimentary sense of music theory knows that the Beatles were some of the most innovative and important songwriters of the 20th century (a glance through the above-posted web site gives plenty of good examples of this). You may not like it, but for someone who cares to investigate, it is plenty interesting and challenging.

Oh, and I watch lots of silent movies.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 01:53 AM   #34
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
How did such geniuses manage to lose control of their song copyrights?

Because creative genius and business acumen are two different skill sets?

As for the band itself - no interest really, I understand their cultural importance but I'm not interested as a listener.
That was because of Yoko

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 02:42 AM   #35
TGTheodore
Writer

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post

History lessons are great, if I'm in the mood for a history lesson. But when I want to listen to interesting and challenging rock music made by and for adults, the Beatles are about the last thing I'll put on. .
You've proven my point expertly. And I frequently watch silent films ... and to prove that I'm also a part of what I'm discussing, I can appreciate so much about the silent films, but I can't know what the experience of seeing them when they first came out was like. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate them, just means I can't appreciate them in the original way.

--Ted
Old March 5 2009, 10:33 AM   #36
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

So, Beatles fans are all avid watchers of silent movies? I think that about says it all. I can now gracefully bow out of this thread. If anyone needs me, I'll be in 2009.
Old March 5 2009, 11:32 AM   #37
ITHell
Vice Admiral

And if you ever start making any sense whatsoever we'll be sure to let you know.
ITHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 11:41 AM   #38
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

/
Old March 5 2009, 03:49 PM   #39
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The root directory?
Old March 5 2009, 04:36 PM   #40
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time and yes I do almost consider them to be family because of how familiar I've become with them through their music.
Old March 5 2009, 06:43 PM   #41
Kryton
Admiral

Here's some interesting info...I don't have a link for it at the moment.
On April 4th, the two surviving BEATLES, PAUL MCCARTNEY and RINGO STARR, will perform together onstage for the first time since 2002.

It'll go down at a charity concert at New York's Radio City Music Hall. The charity in question is The David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace. It's a foundation set up by director David Lynch to teach transcendental meditation.
Old March 5 2009, 07:56 PM   #42
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

^^^ [resists urge to make joke about Buddhist dentistry (again)]

Linkeh

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 08:06 PM   #43
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Kryton wrote: View Post
When the HELL is "Let It Be" getting a release? Last time it was on home video was in the very early '80s when VHS was new-ish...and it's NEVER been on DVD.
We're probably not going to see a Let It Be DVD release. At least, not for a very long time. People would need to change.

The problem is that Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia need to be in 100-percent agreement; it's how the Beatles are structured. (It's the same reason that as much as Paul wants to see "Carnival of Light" released, it won't be; George vetoed it thirteen years ago for Anthology 2, and Olivia's probably going to keep on vetoing it.)

It's widely believed that Paul is the sticking point on Let It Be, yet he's the one who has said in interviews frequently that he would like to see it released.

My guess is that Yoko is the sticking point. The film doesn't paint a particularly flattering portrait of John, and Yoko has a particular image of John that she's fought for nearly thirty years to protect. Look at the way Imagine: John Lennon whitewashes the early 70s (and casts May Pang's role in an ahistorical light), or her anger toward Philip Norman's new biography (which is rather positive, actually). As much as Yoko says herself that John Lennon was just a man, anything that actually shows that he was anything other than St. John of Lennon doesn't fly with her.

One of the best suggestions I've heard is that the cannisters of film footage from the Twickenham and Apple sessions could be recut into a completely different film of the making of Let It Be, one that put a rosier picture on what happened in those days as a supplement or a replacement for the film. In a way, the final part of The Beatles Anthology is almost there. But that may be the most... inoffensive version of events of early 1969 that's possible, too.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 08:24 PM   #44
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Kryton wrote: View Post
We're probably not going to see a Let It Be DVD release. At least, not for a very long time. People would need to change.

The problem is that Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia need to be in 100-percent agreement; it's how the Beatles are structured. (It's the same reason that as much as Paul wants to see "Carnival of Light" released, it won't be; George vetoed it thirteen years ago for Anthology 2, and Olivia's probably going to keep on vetoing it.)

It's widely believed that Paul is the sticking point on Let It Be, yet he's the one who has said in interviews frequently that he would like to see it released.

My guess is that Yoko is the sticking point. The film doesn't paint a particularly flattering portrait of John, and Yoko has a particular image of John that she's fought for nearly thirty years to protect. Look at the way Imagine: John Lennon whitewashes the early 70s (and casts May Pang's role in an ahistorical light), or her anger toward Philip Norman's new biography (which is rather positive, actually). As much as Yoko says herself that John Lennon was just a man, anything that actually shows that he was anything other than St. John of Lennon doesn't fly with her.

One of the best suggestions I've heard is that the cannisters of film footage from the Twickenham and Apple sessions could be recut into a completely different film of the making of Let It Be, one that put a rosier picture on what happened in those days as a supplement or a replacement for the film. In a way, the final part of The Beatles Anthology is almost there. But that may be the most... inoffensive version of events of early 1969 that's possible, too.
Even though John himself called the "Let It Be" sessions the most misreable on Earth and a living hell, I think there is plenty of good and netertaining stuff to be had in the footage they filmed. Youtube is littered with bits and pieces and snippets of stuff that was not in the original film and it's great. There's plenty of footage of the Boys having fun and clowning and carrying on. Despite John's claim (and he was SLIGHTLY prone to exaggeration from time to time) I think there WERE enjoyable times to be had there.

I'm certain an fun entertaining movie could be cut fromt he film available--assuming there is quality footage available. The stuff I've seen on Youtube tends to be in black and white and low copy quality.

We know what happened to the Beatles. I'm NOT interested in seeing another film showing the band "disintegrating". That's the "Let It Be" film. But the guys WERE magical together and I know there is magic to be seen that hasn't been shown yet. I'd love to see it. No one needs to "re-write" history to make a film showing the fun parts of generally bad time. You can't re-do it anyway because what happened, HAPPENED and is done. But I'd like to peek in the windows of Twickingham one more time and see John, Paul George, Ringo and Billy having fun and playing and clowning. Who wouldn't?

A couple funny clips here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQa4...next=1&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey64bKA2mKA

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 09:25 PM   #45
Kryton
Admiral

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Despite John's claim (and he was SLIGHTLY prone to exaggeration from time to time)
Now now...remember, what he REALLY meant was that the Beatles were TALLER than Jesus.