Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 4 2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

He marries Seven apparently in the lost Endgame Timeline.

Does she take his voidy absence of a last name and now becomes just Seven or Just Anika? Or since nature abhors a vacuum, does he take her family name or names, making his new John Hancock: Chakotay Hansen or Chakotay Tertiary Adjutant to Unimatrix 001?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 11:59 PM   #2
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Does she take his voidy absence of a last name and now becomes just Seven or Just Anika? Or since nature abhors a vacuum, does he take her family name or names, making his new John Hancock: Chakotay Hansen or Chakotay Tertiary Adjutant to Unimatrix 001?
Why should a woman take the last name of his husband? I know it's a surprise to some, but among all western nations, it's only in the US that it's still customary.
Old March 5 2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Hoshi_Mayweather
Fleet Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

Why should a woman take the last name of his husband? I know it's a surprise to some, but among all western nations, it's only in the US that it's still customary.
This was something the boyfriend and I discussed awhile back...(and I can go with the guy taking the name of the woman for a change, but I guess that is up to the couple).

As for Chakotay taking Seven's 'human' last name...Hmm, I don't think that'll please the C/J'ers...no matter the timeline.
Old March 5 2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I am not a yank, not that there's anything wrong with that. Hells Bells, its debatable if I even live in the west.

I've heard of this "compositing" that couples do when entering marriage that they both take on a hybrid name to acknowledge that neither of them is too superior in an obvious way.... But any way you try to conglomerate Hansen and " " you're going to end up still with Hansen... And, in the case of hyphenating, how do you pronounce Hansen-" " ? Or " "-Hansen?

I wonder if Miral and B'Elanna now have to do some scary things before "The House of Paris" would be recognized by the Klingon High Council?

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 5 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old March 5 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Brit
Captain

Of course why does any name have to be taken, Chakotay had one name. His wife depending on who would have one name or two or three. His children would have as many names as they cared to give them. Maybe the wife has a surname and the children take his custom and don't have surnames either.

I am also reasonably sure in the future people will have some official designation like a social security number so they really won't need last names.

Brit

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 12:24 AM   #6
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I've heard of this "compositing" that couples do when entering marriage that they both take on a hybrid name to acknowledge that neither of them is too superior in an obvious way.... But any way you try to conglomerate Hansen and " " you're going to end up still with Hansen... And, in the case of hyphenating, how do you pronounce Hansen-" " ? Or " "-Hansen?
No, actually I was talking about each partner keeping their own last name (or lack thereof). So Chakotay will be Chakotay and Seven (Hannika Hansen) will be Seven (Hannika Hansen). There is no need for a common, or composite, last name to know that they are a married couple.

I wonder if Miral and B'Elanna now have to do some scary things before "The House of Paris" would be recognized by the Klingon High Council?
The naming of the klingon houses is somehow confusing. Lursa and B'Etor were from the House of Duras (their brother), but Worf is from the House of Mogh (his dead father). So I really don't know how they will call it. Maybe the name of B'Elanna grandfather, since he would be the fist male klingon in their family line.
Old March 5 2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There was this bloke called Duras on Enterprise. The name is old, so is the family and the need to lord over it using a symbol of authority, even if that is just a heriditically passed "name".

I think the leader of the house assumes the name (Romans were big on this as well as adopting adults to create lineage.) of the house, or mothers expecting their children to assume leadership, however unlikely give their kids the name of the leader of the house as the tiniest nudge towards being ambitious, but then it would be kind of pathetic have 1/2 the house having the same "name"? You'd think that the name would be forbidden for any one to use but the ruler of the house?

Popes and Kings take on new names when they get to power.

Remember in King Ralph?

"Maybe you should considering a new name?"

"Why? ralph is a perfectly fine name."

Old March 5 2009, 12:45 AM   #8
spoonunseptium
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to spoonunseptium

There's no need for either of them to take each other's names.
Old March 5 2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Of course there's no need, and it's physically impossible for her to anyway.

I got Fiddler on the roof hammering through my memories right now.

"Tradition! tradition!"

Old March 5 2009, 07:08 AM   #10
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Uh, there are MANY countries where this is customary.

Personally I don't care either way, but you're just flat out wrong here.
Old March 5 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Praetor
Vice Admiral

It will be 'Janeway' of course.

Oops, wrong thread.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 08:00 AM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Right thread, i just changed the names of some people to protect the dead sexy.

Old March 5 2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Icelanders manage OK without surnames. They use patronymic (or sometimes matronymic) instead.

If Chakotay used this method and called his son Clyde, his son would be known as Clyde Chakotayson. If his daighter was Kathryn, she would be known as Kathryn Chakotaydaughter. Or the children might use their mother's first name as a matronymic.

Women are known all their lives by the name their were given at birth and never take the husbands' names.

Of course, in all likelihood, Chakotay would give his some an Indian name.

Neelix and Tuvok don't have last names.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 02:41 PM   #14
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Or perhaps Chakotay's "full name" is Chakotay Son Of Kolpak. In this case his son's name would be, for instance, Clyde Son Of Chakotay.

Seven was not too fond of her given name, so perhaps her name remained as Seven Of Nine when she would have married Chakotay.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 04:40 PM   #15
iguana_tonante
Admiral

destro wrote: View Post
Uh, there are MANY countries where this is customary.

Personally I don't care either way, but you're just flat out wrong here.
In the world, you are right. But in the western hemisphere, only Anglophone nations still do that, and in the UK it's a declining trend (if I remember correctly). Honestly, I don't know about Australia and New Zealand.

There was this bloke called Duras on Enterprise. The name is old, so is the family and the need to lord over it using a symbol of authority, even if that is just a heriditically passed "name".

I think the leader of the house assumes the name (Romans were big on this as well as adopting adults to create lineage.) of the house, or mothers expecting their children to assume leadership, however unlikely give their kids the name of the leader of the house as the tiniest nudge towards being ambitious, but then it would be kind of pathetic have 1/2 the house having the same "name"? You'd think that the name would be forbidden for any one to use but the ruler of the house?
As I said, it is confusing. Maybe Duras is the name of the founder of the House one thousand years ago, and the ones we saw are just people that bear his name. Same with Mogh. On the other hand, when Quark assumed the head of Grilka's House in DS9, it assumed the name of House of Quark, so we have evidence that the name of the House is that of the ruling male. Or maybe, it could just be that different Houses have different rules, as surname rules are different in human cultures.

I got Fiddler on the roof hammering through my memories right now.

"Tradition! tradition!"
Yeah, but tradition of who? Neither Seven nor Chakotay apparently belong to culture where it's customary for the wife to assume the surname of the husband, or vice versa. You are applying a tradition to people that do not share it.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Neelix and Tuvok don't have last names.
Vulcan family names are also confusing. Apparently the use the patronymic (Spock, son of Sarek), and in very formal occasion the double patronymic (Sarek, child of Skon, child of Solkar). Many novels assume that they have clan or family names. It could be the "almost unpronunciable for a human" name that Spock never told to Leila Kalomi, or the one that Spock's mother had difficulties to learn in Journey to Babel.

About Talaxian names, I do not want to know.