RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 517
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 4 2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Lrning2fly07
Cadet

Earth (spoilers through 4x17)

So are we going to hear anymore about Earth? I would be really disappointed if, by the end of the show, they don't connect the Earth in the story to Earth in reality. It would make sense if this is the far future, and all they have to say is something about how humans first came from Earth, before going to Kobol.

I would be disappointed if they just ignore this point. Their Earth has a North American continent, why does it have to look so similar to our Earth if this is a Star Wars-like reality, where there is no connection to the real world at all?
Old March 4 2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Earth (spoilers through 4x17)

Two trains of thought on this right now:

1.) The "Earth" we saw wasn't our Earth, and they will discover a planet, and call it Earth, and that will be our Earth

2.) The "Earth' we saw was our planet, and we are thousands of years in the future

BTW, humans did not come from Earth. Everyone came from Kobol, the 13th tribe was a tribe of Cylons the Kobol people made, they settled the "Earth" we saw, the other 12 races were Humas and settled the 12 colonies.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old March 4 2009, 01:43 AM   #3
Verteron
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
BTW, humans did not come from Earth. Everyone came from Kobol, the 13th tribe was a tribe of Cylons the Kobol people made, they settled the "Earth" we saw, the other 12 races were Humas and settled the 12 colonies.
I said this before, and I stand by it: the whole repeating history thing doesn't preclude there being a pre-Kobol iteration that started on our Earth, in our future.

One other 'fringe' possibility I pondered is if it's actually set in the distant past, and the whole dinosaur/fossil thing is either a Cylon trick (or will be totally ignored) or that they'll end up 'seeding' Earth with the building blocks for human-Cylon hybrid life to eventually 'evolve' back to a familiar human shape, but I don't think that's going to be the case. It's a bit too Star Trekkie for today's Ron Moore!
Old March 4 2009, 01:46 AM   #4
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Hasn't Moore (or someone on staff) already said in a podcast or interview that the planet shown IS our Earth, albeit in an undisclosed timeframe?
Old March 4 2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

Moore has stated that the planet is EARTH, but I don't think he's used the words "OUR Earth." I suspect that it is as you say, however.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 4 2009, 02:10 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

humans did not come from Earth. Everyone came from Kobol
That has not been firmly established.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old March 4 2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Starwind
Fleet Captain

There's still the problem of the 12 Colonies original flags. Why in the galaxy would they only have star patterns visible from EARTH? (The same patterns that confirmed they had reached Earth) It's been implied the 12 never went TO Earth, so what gives, if they were never ever there? You don't put a star pattern on your Flag if it has no significance to you.
Old March 4 2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Green Shirt
Commodore

Lrning2fly07 wrote: View Post
So are we going to hear anymore about Earth?
Since they removed the word "Earth" from the opening sequence and left it as simply "a home" we may have heard the last on the subject. Unless that's just misdirection.
Old March 4 2009, 08:51 PM   #9
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yes the Earth they found was the one and only Earth they were looking for and was talked about, but I think there are several Earths. The series finale is called Daybreak so I think it's safe to saw they find a planet and fight John for it. That planet will become our Earth.
Old March 4 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

1.) The "Earth" we saw wasn't our Earth, and they will discover a planet, and call it Earth, and that will be our Earth

2.) The "Earth' we saw was our planet, and we are thousands of years in the future
Except you are forgetting that when they first showed "Earth", we saw the landmasses, and they were exactly as they are on our Earth. You could easily make out North America, for example. So it has to be 2.
Old March 4 2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Chris3123 wrote: View Post

Except you are forgetting that when they first showed "Earth", we saw the landmasses, and they were exactly as they are on our Earth. You could easily make out North America, for example. So it has to be 2.
The Earth we saw at the end of season three was clearly our Earth. There were no landmasses seen on the Earth they landed on that looked like they do on our Earth. Although given that they didn't bother to show it, we may never know.

Or the planet they do find, if they find one, may happen to look exactly like our Earth.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Old March 5 2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post

The Earth we saw at the end of season three was clearly our Earth. There were no landmasses seen on the Earth they landed on that looked like they do on our Earth. Although given that they didn't bother to show it, we may never know.

Or the planet they do find, if they find one, may happen to look exactly like our Earth.
I assumed the Earth they found actually was the Earth they showed at the end of S3. Why wouldn't it be?
Old March 6 2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Green Shirt
Commodore

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post

Yeah, Miri's planet -but with clouds.
Old March 6 2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Maybe the earth they pulled out to at the end of season 3 was our earth, which they will get to, but the earth they landed on wasn't.

Or, maybe it was and they will go back there and use cylon tech to go to sleep and resurrect themselves in the future after the radiation clears or something.
Old March 6 2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Cartoonist
Captain

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
humans did not come from Earth. Everyone came from Kobol
That has not been firmly established.
I have a really hard time believing everyone came from Kobol rather than Earth. Not with all the anthropological record we have of man evolving on Earth. It just wouldn't make any sense to me if they were to say man came from Kobol and for some reason lost or abandoned his technology. How would that explain the neanderthals and the many stages of man? How would it explain the little similarities like the neckties and suits?

It makes far more sense to me to think that thousands of years from now, humans HAVE to leave earth for some reason. Maybe we've ruined it with pollution, or climate change has made it uninhabitable, and survivors flee the planet in generational ships. They're in transit at sub-light speeds for hundreds or thousands of years. They colonize Kobol. Then, thousands of years later, for some reason, they have to leave Kobol. Most go to the closer twelve colonies planets, either no longer believing earth exists or not believing humans could survive on the earth they'd left. Maybe they created an entire race of skinjob cylons thinking the cylons could withstand whatever damage had been done to earth and make it fit for humans again. The cylons make the longer voyage back home to the abandoned Earth, a voyage that takes thousands of years. But by then, earth's just a myth to the twelve colonies.

That makes more sense to me than thinking we all came from Kobol, lost our technology, reverted to apes, evolved again, and after hundreds of thousands of years, we've reinvented the gods of Olympus and accidentally recreated the necktie.