MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3 2009, 04:24 PM   #226
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

steveman wrote: View Post
I have a feeling that this show has a chance to become even more revered than it already is (unless the finale ruins everything) once it's off the air and people discover it on DVD. The inside information that many of us know now (i.e. that the writers have been pulling things out of their asses, etc) will likely fade away.
Well I only caught up with the show on DVD 6 months ago and I had been (mis)informed before I started watching it that it was planned out as a five season story. However, I began to doubt that when all the Final Five stuff popped up in season three, and Crossroads Part 2 made it blatantly apparent that they were making it up as they went. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment though, and Crossroads Part 2 was frakking EPIC!
Old March 3 2009, 05:49 PM   #227
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Peacemaker, I think you're on the right track overall. A few comments

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Yup, I think it's a map that has been passed on for longer than anybody actually realizes, maybe from the first Cylons created on Kobol (who IMO are the Virtuals) and if not from that time, either a time before Kobol, a map to Earth qua Earth as we know it to be, the place where all of mankind originated.
I'm just guessing, but I think the virtuals are from 2 iterations previous to Kobol (1 previous to the ruined planet). Also, the Earth that they found may not be our Earth. I'm guessing that the real Earth is where the music map is pointing them too and that's part of the big twist.

Evidence? Well, the head people (or person at least) wrote the song that is calling, presumably, their children home. So, that implies that the music map destination plays a parental role over the final five (and perhaps their cohorts on that planet but they're all dead). Therefore, the ruined planet is a colony of the real Earth, which is the music map destination.

I also don't think Cavil is really all that interested in finding the Colonists and eliminating them. They're lost in space as far as he's concerned, so he can just leave them there to rot on their own.
I sort of agree here and sort of disagree. Logically, that's what his approach should be. Let them be and focus himself more positively. However, that's clearly not the mental place he's in. He harbors a lot of anger against both the Final Five and the humans. And, guess what, they'll be in the same place at the same time.

However, I've stated for awhile that one of the potential solutions is to just give him and his followers the advanced, non-human bodies that they want (assuming that the Final Five have the technology which sounds reasonable). If the Final Five agree to that, they'd be buying peace which was their MO before. Of course, that only worked in the short run. However, that might be moot because . . .

He's more concerned with finding resurrection technology again. IMO, what'll happen is that both sides will finally figure out that they have a map to someplace else, "Earth 2" if you will.
Agree. But, come on, I know you're dying to call it Terra! Actually, the ruined planet they came across might actually be the Earth 2/Terra and we've yet to see the real Earth. That was a theory before and I'm thinking the music map fits in with that.

trading on it being an outpost of the 13th tribe that he can either take over with his assault force or play friendly with in order to gain their assistance.
I think the nature of that place will be more of a twist than just a 13th tribe outpost. It'll have more shock value than that I think. Afterall, they're saving it for the series finale. I'm thinking it'll be Earth, the real one this time.

We'll get our epic battle, but I'll bet we get one of those "Organian interference" endings.
I think we'll get our epic battle but I don't think we'll get the interference. Whatever the destination is, I think it'll be uninhabited except for the virtual people/person. Having an inhabited planet, even by humans or cylons, seems to go against the grain of the series. I'm thinking we'll just get the head people (or person) who originated from the music map destination. They/it seem to be powerless to influence events beyond suggestion and, of course, the musical call.

The ending, Galactica defends the habitable but currently uninhabited planet against Cavils forces. All ships end up destroyed or too weakened for space flight and the colonists settle on the planet for a strictly planet bound existence. They however have a framework for future legends based on resurrection, life after death, a spiritual plane, god like beings, etc.

Mr Awe
Old March 3 2009, 06:13 PM   #228
Raz
Rear Admiral

^ I like where this is headed. The unanswered question (among many for me) is: who are the Lords of Kobol? What happened to them? We know what happened to their children, the 12 tribes, and their children's children, the 13th and the cylons. But we don't know what happened to the parents.

Was reading the wiki: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Hybrid_utterances

The children of the one reborn shall find their own country.
Hmm.
Old March 3 2009, 07:02 PM   #229
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that the real Earth is where the music map is pointing them too and that's part of the big twist.
No, that really was Earth they found, and it really is dead. My take on the song map... it's calling them to the Opera House.

When Cavil was interogating Ellen he mentioned another colony, one where Ellen's equipment was still housed. Presumably this is the facility where the FF built their models 1-8. Let's call the planet "Terra". I think the Opera House is a metaphor for this facility. The colony planet is where humans and Cylons will live together at last, a blended people, as "Terrans". Roslin's vision seems to foretell this as Hera is embraced by Six (representing the Cylons) and Baltar (representing the humans), followed by all three walking through a door into the unknown future.

Last edited by Dark Gilligan; March 3 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old March 3 2009, 07:25 PM   #230
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

After seeing the episode a second time, I would bump my initial "above average" vote to "excellent." There were a lot of little details that I missed the first time that added a lot to the story.

I've come to the conclusion that someone who says "nothing happened" in this episode, even in the first 40 minutes, must have ADD. Characters where being positioned for the story climax - it's just that the writers had something Jane Epenson lacks - subtlety.

If anyone had told me when the miniseries aired that one of my favorite all-time scenes on Battlestar Galactica would be behind a piano, I would have lost a lot of money.
Old March 3 2009, 07:28 PM   #231
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that the real Earth is where the music map is pointing them too and that's part of the big twist.
No, that really was Earth they found, and it really is dead.
It could be, we shall see. Right now, we just don't know for sure.

My take on the song map... it's calling them to the Opera House.
Seems likely!

When Cavil was interogating Ellen he mentioned another colony, one where Ellen's equipment was still housed. Presumably this is the facility where the FF built their models 1-8. Let's call the planet "Terra". I think the Opera House is a metaphor for this facility.
This is also a good theory.

Mr Awe
Old March 3 2009, 07:33 PM   #232
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I haven't seen anyone else bring it up, so I will: what was up with Roslin's incredibly icy tone towards the Chief? Did she just not want to get in the middle of yet another "internal Cylon matter" and took offense to Tyrol even asking? Or was it something else? Just seemed a bit strange for her. I wouldn't want to be Joe Colonial, trying to strike up a conversation with her these days. Ouch.
My blog
Old March 3 2009, 08:21 PM   #233
Saul
Rear Admiral

Not a great episode. But bloody damn good near the end. Now I hate Boomer.
I don't get the impending feeling that we are 3 episodes away from the end. I felt a bit more should be going on after last weeks slow episode. You could have put both that and this episode together to make something with a real punch.

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Seven Of Five wrote: View Post
And so with the amazing last third of the episode, we find out that Kara was imagining her Dad - Head-Papa-Starbuck?
I'm sorry, did you find that out in the last third of the episode? I knew it from the beginning.
Good for you.
Old March 3 2009, 09:36 PM   #234
Harvey
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I haven't seen anyone else bring it up, so I will: what was up with Roslin's incredibly icy tone towards the Chief? Did she just not want to get in the middle of yet another "internal Cylon matter" and took offense to Tyrol even asking? Or was it something else? Just seemed a bit strange for her. I wouldn't want to be Joe Colonial, trying to strike up a conversation with her these days. Ouch.
My guess is that she's tired and dying. She gave her last political breaths fighting off Zarek's coup, but she still can't find a way off the merry-go-round of colonial politics.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 3 2009, 09:53 PM   #235
Dark Gilligan
Writer

[quote=Robert Maxwell;2672305]I haven't seen anyone else bring it up, so I will: what was up with Roslin's incredibly icy tone towards the Chief?/quote]

The thing is: she was right, he was wrong, she knew it and was just plain tired of anymore bullshit. Did you see how much Roslin was trembling in her scenes? It looked like she was barely holding back from getting sick all over Adama's desk. The woman is dying, quite painfully. Chief should have respected that.
Old March 3 2009, 11:15 PM   #236
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Normally as a Brit I watch the eps early online, but I had to wait for the Sky 1 showing tonight this week.
Just finished, I voted "above average"

Enjoyable enough. And as I can't be arsed reading through 8 ages on here, what happened to the piano player? He seemed to vanish when the Final Four showed up, was he imagined by Starbuck?
Old March 3 2009, 11:30 PM   #237
Kchunda
Commander

Ethros wrote: View Post
Normally as a Brit I watch the eps early online, but I had to wait for the Sky 1 showing tonight this week.
Just finished, I voted "above average"

Enjoyable enough. And as I can't be arsed reading through 8 ages on here, what happened to the piano player? He seemed to vanish when the Final Four showed up, was he imagined by Starbuck?
Yup. Head-Dad. . .
Old March 3 2009, 11:37 PM   #238
Kchunda
Commander

Raz wrote: View Post
^ I like where this is headed. The unanswered question (among many for me) is: who are the Lords of Kobol? What happened to them? We know what happened to their children, the 12 tribes, and their children's children, the 13th and the cylons. But we don't know what happened to the parents.

Was reading the wiki: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Hybrid_utterances

The children of the one reborn shall find their own country.
Hmm.
I'm really looking fwd to finding out. Is "the one reborn" a reference to the 13th tribe, since it was reborn in the form of colonial skinjobs? Or are we talking about Hybrids? Is Cavil the "reborn" version of the Lord on Kobol who believed himself above the other 12?

I feel like I need a checklist!
Old March 4 2009, 12:47 AM   #239
MPH
Rear Admiral

So the lords of Kobol where the first incarnation of Humans like us today? And did they originate from Earth and settled on Kobol where they evolved into a higher plain of existence? Are these the head people?
Old March 4 2009, 02:26 AM   #240
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Or, possibly, the Lords of Kobol were Cylons who created humans who rebelled and killed them and then created their own cylons.