RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 801
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 2 2009, 04:54 AM   #181
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If anyone cares, someone put the Starbuck piano sequence on YouTube.
Awesome. That sequence is fast becoming one of my favorite BSG moments.
Old March 2 2009, 05:33 AM   #182
D Man
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Completely agreed. Thanks for the link, Aragorn.

This was an easy Excellent for me, and a huge rebound from last week's awkward misstep. I loved the "slow burn" feel it had, and both major stories were really well done. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for me this was the most emotionally affecting episode they've done since "Maelstrom." I know the music is a big part of that...Starbuck remembering the song definitely goes down as one of my top 10 BSG scenes, right up there with moments like dropping the bucket in "Exodus" and Adama smashing the model ship in "Maelstrom."
Old March 2 2009, 05:35 AM   #183
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

This episode was disturbing. Excellent. I really enjoyed it and am ready for the end!
Old March 2 2009, 05:44 AM   #184
steveman
Fleet Captain

Perhaps Daniel (or Starbuck's father, if you will) has something to do with the Kobol Opera House. Maybe he's playing the piano there or something. Seems like they could be connected. Who knows?
Old March 2 2009, 06:16 AM   #185
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

sidious618 wrote: View Post
That was my favorite moment of the show. I heard that and I got up and started paying attention. I couldn't believe it to the point where at first I missed that the Piano guy was gone with Tigh yanked Starbuck around.
Old March 2 2009, 06:47 AM   #186
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Shaka wrote: View Post
And so far, the writers deliver. Remember : it's the journey not the goal...
No, the writers coasted on this one and the actors delivered. Not much happened and what did was stretched out. But, the actors kept it interesting.

Mr Awe
Old March 2 2009, 06:50 AM   #187
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Just watched it again, and enjoyed it even more than the first time.

I think Dennis places too much import on the Sixth Sense 'cliche' with Starbuck's father.

I suspected that the piano player was: a) Starbuck's father, and b) 'not really there' within moments. It didn't alter my enjoyment of the episode in the slightest. In fact, it made it more interesting than if she had just been speaking to some random nobody. It was a personal look into the relationship of father and daughter, and it was very touching at times. It seemed as if even Starbuck suspected at times what was really going on.

RDM expects his audience to be savvy. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I suspect that he knew we would guess early on that something was up with the piano player.

I've watched the episode with friends who figured it out right away, and with friends who didn't. Both camps enjoyed it immensely. It works both ways.

I wonder if the 'aged to present day' version of the father will soon appear, played by Dirk Benedict.
Old March 2 2009, 06:52 AM   #188
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
^ I'm beginning to think we're gonna see Galactica's death before the final episode. I also think the ship itself might prove to be the 'dying leader' which takes them to the promised land, perhaps in one last jump.
I'm fairly convinced that the dying leader is Adama. Yes, I think the Galactica will be destroyed. And, can you picture him not going down with the ship? I can't.

Mr Awe
Old March 2 2009, 07:25 AM   #189
Hoshi_Mayweather
Fleet Captain

I was quickly becoming a Tyrol/Boomer shipper... but I had to nix that because Boomer tricked The Chief...

Still, I'm hoping that everything will be tied up by the show's end....as everything seems to be going downhill fast.

I'm still wondering what will happen to Tory...(I do not like that character!)

And, even though Starbuck is not one of my favorite characters, and her story is wearing on me...I'm somewhat interested on 'who she is' exactly.
Old March 2 2009, 07:46 AM   #190
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ I'm beginning to think we're gonna see Galactica's death before the final episode. I also think the ship itself might prove to be the 'dying leader' which takes them to the promised land, perhaps in one last jump.
I'm fairly convinced that the dying leader is Adama. Yes, I think the Galactica will be destroyed. And, can you picture him not going down with the ship? I can't.

Mr Awe
Sure, he'd go down with the ship. But they've set up a kind of scifi possibility with the ship going to pieces during a jump ... for all we know, that could be a time thing that scatters folks to far reaches and starts the whole thing over again.

Only dif this time might be that the Prez and 6 have gotten off the ship to search for Hera, and maybe their finding her breaks the loop ... or maybe humans realize that human/cylon future doesn't work any better than human only futures, and deliberately take themselves out of the loop (I think folks will slit their wrists if that is the case, but it could be beautiful if handled properly, like the Sturgeon story where the US is getting nuked and chooses to not retaliate in order to let the human race live on.)
Old March 2 2009, 08:58 AM   #191
Hyperspace05
Commodore

My vote: Excellent - Much better than last episode... And a nice quiet character building one.

Some may say the plot is moving far too slow for being this near the end... But at least this episode I think more than any other really did establish the playing field for the characters going into the final episodes.

As mush as I usually like space battles and dislike Kara Thrace centered episodes, this was great stuff. Can't wait to see more.
Old March 2 2009, 10:17 AM   #192
billcosby
Commodore

Upon second viewing, I've changed my vote to above average.
It's quite good.

Old March 2 2009, 11:08 AM   #193
cultcross
Say my name...

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I suspected that the piano player was: a) Starbuck's father, and b) 'not really there' within moments. It didn't alter my enjoyment of the episode in the slightest.
While I, on the other hand, didn't realise this until I read this page of the thread

I completely missed the fact the guy was gone when Tigh went up to Starbuck.
Old March 2 2009, 03:54 PM   #194
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I suspected that the piano player was: a) Starbuck's father, and b) 'not really there' within moments. It didn't alter my enjoyment of the episode in the slightest.
While I, on the other hand, didn't realise this until I read this page of the thread

I completely missed the fact the guy was gone when Tigh went up to Starbuck.
Can't tell if you are being serious or not.

I meant that I suspected it from the first moment I saw him, not after it was revealed that he was not really there. (It didn't require much 'suspecting' at that point.)
Old March 2 2009, 04:10 PM   #195
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Now that Kara knows about her nature, I hope she actually does something about it in the next episode instead of agonizing over it the entire time.

I'm sure Kara will agonize and Adama will curl up in a ball and cry next episode.