Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1 2009, 07:01 PM   #166
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
You think Athena will be pissed that Helo nailed Boomer? Even if he didn't know?
Emotional crazy-lady? Definitely. The chief can tell Boomer apart, she'll be pissed as hell that Helo couldn't tell Athena.
Old March 1 2009, 07:35 PM   #167
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
^ I'm beginning to think we're gonna see Galactica's death before the final episode. I hope we're not, I'd like the old gal to go down fighting in the finale, but based on this week and the preview for next, it doesn't look like she's got much in her anymore.

I doubt it because next week is the finale episode before the 3 hour series finale begins. The old ship, who is not the dieing leader, will make it until the end.
Old March 1 2009, 07:36 PM   #168
ATimson
Rear Admiral

You think Athena will be pissed that Helo nailed Boomer? Even if he didn't know?
Emotional crazy-lady? Definitely. The chief can tell Boomer apart, she'll be pissed as hell that Helo couldn't tell Athena.
Helo's also not a Cylon, though.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 1 2009, 08:28 PM   #169
Kchunda
Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Helo's also not a Cylon, though.
Plus back in The HUB there was that Eight who had accessed Athena's memories and. . . uh. . . "knew what he liked". . .

So if Boomer got those files, she could "switch on" Athena I'm thinking.
Old March 1 2009, 08:50 PM   #170
Aragorn
Admiral

If anyone cares, someone put the Starbuck piano sequence on YouTube.
Old March 1 2009, 09:07 PM   #171
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Below Average - gah, that was boring. This show is ending at the right time, because my emotional investment in everything going on is rapidly diminishing. I'd be at the point of bailing on the show soon anyway.

Whether or not the Cylons wanted to execute Boomer was completely uninteresting to me. Never gave a shit about the character, or about Athena for that matter. The actress is just too untalented to make me care about any of her characters.

The Cylon rebels are also disgustingly hypocritical if they think they have the right to execute Boomer - who killed other Cylons in the course of a civil war, in which the combatants fell in legitimate battle - while they themselves are still guilty of genocide against millions of innocent civilians. I'll support the Cylons rebels' wish to throw Boomer out an airlock only if they follow her en masse themselves. That would be justice.

The scene with Helo and Boomer was just obnoxious exploitation/soap opera. All the Cylon soap opera crap is painfully clumsy and dull.

The blond piano player turning out to be Kara's dad (and just a figment of her imagination) was far too obvious and cliched.

Cmon Sam, wake up! The show has sucked since you went into a coma.

They wasted more Centurion potential. Again. They could have had a whole scene with the Centurions discussing the Boomers impending execution amongst themselves and deciding that it is proof that creating the skinjobs was a terrible mistake
It's far too late for that. It's better for them to continue to ignore the Centurions as characters than to shoehorn them in at the last minute. That would be hilariously awkward and would just emphasize what a mistake it was to make no real effort to integrate them into the story, yet have the logic of the story hinge so much on them.

I'm certainly curious why the Centurions would bother to create skinjobs - envy? They've never shown indications of envy before. Or were they trying to infiltrate human society? At least that makes a bit of sense. But it's far too late now. Too bad, because the issue of metal robots who are sorta kinda human-ish trying to make themselves human is fascinating and the show could have been largely done from the Centurions' point of view.

The less human the Centurions' minds are, the better. And to integrate the Cylon raiders into the story as characters, even better. Even if they are only doglike in their mentality, why can't they be characters? Animals have been fully realized characters in stories often before. Making the Cylons nearly indistinguishable from humans in both looks, personality and mentality was the most boring option. What wasted potential, gah. Maybe Caprica can do something with this idea.
Also, a big to now seeing a Cylon on the new Council (or whatever they're calling it - Hell, see the people of the fleet coming to grips with THAT announcement from Roslin or Adama probably could have been an episode in itself). Also, we suddenly go from the Cyons and 3 of the 'Final Five' voting to 'bug out' and leave the Humans in the fleet to it now being WEEKS later; and the Cylons electing their own council representative?
Agreed. Makes no sense. Why isn't this creating another mutiny? The anger and fear that launched the last one hasn't just magically vanished. Adama and Roslin can't throw everyone in the brig, can they? Although I'm sure they'd try.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 1 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old March 1 2009, 10:36 PM   #172
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Seven Of Five wrote: View Post
And so with the amazing last third of the episode, we find out that Kara was imagining her Dad - Head-Papa-Starbuck?
I'm sorry, did you find that out in the last third of the episode? I knew it from the beginning. Kept hoping the writers would throw a curve, but no.
Old March 1 2009, 10:48 PM   #173
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

I take back my "poor" grade upon viewing without commercials. I place it somewhere between average and below average - as many others have said, too slow for a series with just a few hours left and many knots to tie.
Old March 1 2009, 11:49 PM   #174
Ridcully
Commodore

Really loved this slowburner...had that creeping feel all the time....
Old March 1 2009, 11:52 PM   #175
Julian1984
Cadet

Hi Everyone! My first post is to ask about one thing in this episode... I need to know which one is the name of the song that played Kara in piano (the one that activated the last five...) Thanks! (Is anyway to download it?)
Old March 1 2009, 11:58 PM   #176
Aragorn
Admiral

Julian1984 wrote: View Post
Hi Everyone! My first post is to ask about one thing in this episode... I need to know which one is the name of the song that played Kara in piano (the one that activated the last five...) Thanks! (Is anyway to download it?)
All Along the Watchtower by Bear McCreary

Original by Bob Dylan. Also covered by Jimi Hendrix, U2, Dave Matthews Band, Prince, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and more.
Old March 2 2009, 12:14 AM   #177
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Julian1984 wrote: View Post
All Along the Watchtower by Bear McCreary

Original by Bob Dylan. Also covered by Jimi Hendrix, U2, Dave Matthews Band, Prince, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and more.
Actually, it was the "Final Four" theme, not AATW. They couldn't physically insert the theme (if you can call it one) of AATW into the episode. You can't expect Hera to draw it, or Kara to learn it so fast, So they used the Final Four theme instead. It was first devised by Bear to lead into AATW but has since become a riff of its own. There is a very good blog about it on Bear's web site.
Old March 2 2009, 12:53 AM   #178
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Check out Bear's blog

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1598#more-1598

-Chris
Old March 2 2009, 03:24 AM   #179
Vampire Kirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Above average. Slow episode with a stellar ending.
Old March 2 2009, 04:03 AM   #180
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

It's far too late for that. It's better for them to continue to ignore the Centurions as characters than to shoehorn them in at the last minute. That would be hilariously awkward and would just emphasize what a mistake it was to make no real effort to integrate them into the story, yet have the logic of the story hinge so much on them.
I agree that it is better to continue to ignore the Centurions,but I disagree with the reasoning. Sure, it may strike us as a good angle to include the Centurions as characters, but, IMO, from an in-story perspective, it makes perfect sense to ignore them. This in turn, adds dramatic impact if there is a Centurion revolt, for it emphasizes the way the Centurions have been treated all along...eg. they revolt, either by turning on the skinjobs altogether or maybe declaring an end to the rebellion altogether by calling for Cylon unity and Cylon-human unity, which would be the most unexpected thing for the Centurions to do. In this way, the way the Cylons have used them and ignored them is underlined. In fact, if they do indeed become the ones to end the conflicts between the 2 Cylon factions and Cylons and humans, then they, not the Eight, the Five, or Humanity are the ones to actually break the cycle.