Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 21 2009, 06:59 PM   #76
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon wins again.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Dollhouse felt like generic FOX crap aimed at the 18-35 year old male demographic.
Heaven forbid us young men might have something to watch on TV. Never mind, though, I'm sure Joss will add some five foot nothing girls beating up marines just to make us all feel at home.
That's not what I meant. Dollhouse throws everything that a stereotypical young male likes into the mix in a pathetic attempt to increase ratings. Throw some hot chicks (lots of pointless fan service mandatory), a pointless motorcycle race, a shower scene, and the mandatory crime story (everyone loves those, right) into the episode to build an audience -- who needs good writing? Enterprise tried doing the same thing and it nearly killed the franchise.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 07:31 PM   #77
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
With movement (you likely need Neutral Zone access).
BTW what's up with that TNZ? I know very few who 'have access and those who do don't want to talk about it
is it a place where perverted Freemasons hideout or something?
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 07:36 PM   #78
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
TheArsenal wrote: View Post
With movement (you likely need Neutral Zone access).
BTW what's up with that TNZ? I know very few who 'have access and those who do don't want to talk about it
is it a place where perverted Freemasons hideout or something?
Come... join us - it's like a gentleman's club, full of lovely conversation and warm companionship.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 08:16 PM   #79
Hermiod
Admiral

Dollhouse felt like generic FOX crap aimed at the 18-35 year old male demographic.
Heaven forbid us young men might have something to watch on TV. Never mind, though, I'm sure Joss will add some five foot nothing girls beating up marines just to make us all feel at home.
That's not what I meant. Dollhouse throws everything that a stereotypical young male likes into the mix in a pathetic attempt to increase ratings. Throw some hot chicks (lots of pointless fan service mandatory), a pointless motorcycle race, a shower scene, and the mandatory crime story (everyone loves those, right) into the episode to build an audience -- who needs good writing? Enterprise tried doing the same thing and it nearly killed the franchise.
I don't see that they're doing anything there that many other shows don't already do. It's a mistake to believe that that's all men are looking for in a TV show.

As I said, hopefully this show will realise that it's not on The CW and the usual cliches won't even get a chance to make it in to the show.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 08:24 PM   #80
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hear, hear. Since skills and memories can be injected into anyone, what is the point of injecting kick-ass brainwaves/muscle memory/whatever into the body of some scrawny girl (like the weird looking Tibetan chick?) Why not pick the biggest, beefiest, stupidest body builder you can find, and give him the same mad skillz?

The sole reason to do that with the weird looking Tibetan chick or skinny little Echo or any other skinny little girl is to provide Dominatrix services. And even then, it's largely theater (from what I've gathered), so you don't actually have to turn them into killers, just girls who can fake it real well. And presumably better than the ones who fake it for a living...but how much better would they be able to fake it, really? Enough to justify charging a hundred times as much, considering the expense of keeping the Dollhouse and its fancy HQ going?
Dollhouse throws everything that a stereotypical young male likes into the mix in a pathetic attempt to increase ratings.
Maybe, but not well enough to survive...1.7/5 demo, ouch. Not as bad a drop as I expected, but given the anemic premiere, the show isn't in a position to weather any drop, and I doubt the drop is over. Even for Friday, that's not going to hack it. And DVR ratings won't save it, advertisers know people don't watch DVR ads.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 09:37 PM   #81
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Maybe, but not well enough to survive...1.7/5 demo, ouch. Not as bad a drop as I expected, but given the anemic premiere, the show isn't in a position to weather any drop, and I doubt the drop is over. Even for Friday, that's not going to hack it. And DVR ratings won't save it, advertisers know people don't watch DVR ads.

I hope it can weather it to be honest - this week's episode was a vast improvement over the premiere I thought. Not perfect, but it was enough to convince me it deserves a fair chance. So, here's hoping.

Eliza Dushku really has to lose that dopey blow-up doll expression when she's been wiped, and I thought the few instances of humour were a bit oddly placed and didn't quite work. Other than that, thumbs up.
Old February 28 2009, 11:24 PM   #82
Colin Xavier
Lieutenant Commander

If anybody is interested "Stage Fright" had 4.13 million viewers with 1.6/5 18-49 share.
Old March 1 2009, 03:30 AM   #83
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Pretty consistent then, if I'm remembering previous weeks' numbers right.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:39 AM   #84
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I've yet to see an episode of this series. It looks interesting and it has Eliza Dookie-whatever in various stages of dress so it's enough for me.
Old March 1 2009, 02:34 PM   #85
Colin Xavier
Lieutenant Commander

1x01 Ghost 4.72 million viewers with 2.0/6
1x02 The Target 4.22 million viewers with 1.7/5
1x03 Stage Fright 4.13 million viewers with 1.6/5

Its consistent but FOX can't be happy with these numbers.
Old March 1 2009, 03:01 PM   #86
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Colin Xavier wrote: View Post
1x01 Ghost 4.72 million viewers with 2.0/6
1x02 The Target 4.22 million viewers with 1.7/5
1x03 Stage Fright 4.13 million viewers with 1.6/5

Its consistent but FOX can't be happy with these numbers.
Apparently the first episode was the best Friday night they've had in years... but that doesn't mean you're wrong.
Old March 1 2009, 03:03 PM   #87
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I wonder if this show was given a decent slot if it could have made it.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:42 PM   #88
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the concensus that so far it is good, not great. It appears that Joss may by trying to produce something CSI-like because crime procedurals have big appeal at the moment.

I think the concept lends itself both to reset-button episodes (what Fox wants) and long-term arcs. I think the concept and setup are both strong - you have this organization that only cares about satisfying the client, conflicting with someone like Boyd Langton, a former cop who not only knows right from wrong, but feels a real sense of responsibility about protecting the 'doll' he is assigned to.

It looks like the dolls are already gaining some sentience of the big picture, so this is not going to be a show where they are mindless zombies - they are already protecting each other and forming bonds.

There are so many directions the story can go - rebellion is just one of them

I liked Firefly a lot more, however, and Dr. Horrible was hilarious.

Hopefully, Dollhouse will not get cancelled, so my Dollhouse Reviews and Summaries website won't have to close down