Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1 2009, 04:01 AM   #151
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

I dont see the big deal in revealing what Kara is then using it to help further the show. I will be very upset if this show ends and we never find out what kara is.
Old March 1 2009, 05:31 AM   #152
silk
Cadet

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
But for a serialized drama like BSG to feel at times aimless and lost as far as its narrative purpose in its final season is bewildering especially after Moore has repeatedly stated that he felt that four seasons was just right to tell the story he wanted without overstaying his welcome as a creative force.

A slow burn is one thing where the writers carefully build a story over a season ramping up the tension and excitement and it is another when the writers stall and throw a bone to the viewer.
It's not bewildering, Moore has repeatedly lied all the time. Which is fine, he's a salesman and writer (paid liar) which has kept you hooked all this time. He's said all sorts of things, including that there were enough episodes for 7 seasons. It's all true depending on how you look at it, but also all completely false.
Old March 1 2009, 06:56 AM   #153
James Bond
Rear Admiral

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
James Bond wrote: View Post
steveman wrote: View Post
We've been receiving hints and clues about all those major plot threads we want resolved since the series began. Why there's suddenly a great desire to see the show just dump everything on us astounds me. Are we really that stupid? There's no need for the show to change its M.O. simply because it's coming to an end. We will get the answers we want. But we will get them in a distinctly elegant, nuanced way.

Which is, you know, how BSG has always operated.
You're absolutely correct, but what people are complaining about (myself included to a degree) is the fact that we're running out of time to get proper resolution of these points. We're desperately hoping things aren't rushed because that would bring the overall impact of those resolutions, and perhaps the legacy of the show, down to a mediocre level - something that is pretty much unacceptable at this point.
You're also simultaneously arguing in favour of rushing things by saying a character rich steady paced episode like this cannot happen right now.

Wait till it's all done then judge.
I am going to wait until it's all done, and I'm not necessarily complaining. Aside from the fact that there have been 4 seasons for character development, an extra one hour episode at this point is an extra hour for storyline and plot resolution. That extra hour would allow for much more intricate revelations to be spread out better among the remaining episodes.

But hey, I have faith in RDM's crew to deliver.
Old March 1 2009, 07:17 AM   #154
ATimson
Rear Admiral

James Bond wrote: View Post
Aside from the fact that there have been 4 seasons for character development, an extra one hour episode at this point is an extra hour for storyline and plot resolution. That extra hour would allow for much more intricate revelations to be spread out better among the remaining episodes.
This episode did allow for more intricate revelations regarding Kara, Boomer, Hera, and Roslin in the next episodes.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 1 2009, 07:42 AM   #155
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

silk wrote: View Post
But for a serialized drama like BSG to feel at times aimless and lost as far as its narrative purpose in its final season is bewildering especially after Moore has repeatedly stated that he felt that four seasons was just right to tell the story he wanted without overstaying his welcome as a creative force.

A slow burn is one thing where the writers carefully build a story over a season ramping up the tension and excitement and it is another when the writers stall and throw a bone to the viewer.
It's not bewildering, Moore has repeatedly lied all the time. Which is fine, he's a salesman and writer (paid liar) which has kept you hooked all this time. He's said all sorts of things, including that there were enough episodes for 7 seasons. It's all true depending on how you look at it, but also all completely false.
Actually he said 5 seasons, maybe 6. It's clear Sci-fi didn't want a fifth season and Moore closed the show up. It's also clear, and he will admit, that as the show moved on more and more they were pulling it out of their asses more and more.
Old March 1 2009, 08:30 AM   #156
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

A part of me enjoyed the leisurely pace of the Starbuck plot and a part of me was reminded of those Dragon Ball Z filler episodes where one guy just spends twenty minutes hovering in mid-air and grunting while everyone else stares at him in awe and makes comments about how cool he is.

The lack of plot in this episode is somewhat striking, though the plot that is there is certainly interesting. It's fairly obvious that they're ignoring story efficiency in favor of emotional poigniancy.
Old March 1 2009, 08:43 AM   #157
Scribe34
Commander

Hey, is it my imagination or did the first few bars of the song being played by the Piano guy, before they actually get to the song later, sound like the opening of the original series' theme? The one Starbuck accuses the guy of ripping of?
Old March 1 2009, 09:58 AM   #158
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I wonder if we have a screenie anywhere for her picture yet?
I don't have a cap of Hera's 'stars', but I did get one that I think shows the name of the opera house we've been seeing.

---------------
Old March 1 2009, 10:24 AM   #159
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Scribe34 wrote: View Post
Hey, is it my imagination or did the first few bars of the song being played by the Piano guy, before they actually get to the song later, sound like the opening of the original series' theme? The one Starbuck accuses the guy of ripping of?

You are correct.
Old March 1 2009, 01:51 PM   #160
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

I voted above average. It was average (maybe slightly below average) until the last act, but had a very strong finish.

The producers sure like the number 13. Both drawings that Hera made had 13 dots on them, she was even shown counting them.
Old March 1 2009, 02:50 PM   #161
Shaka
Lieutenant Commander

Really loved this episode, from its slow pace at the start to the really stunning finale five (!) minutes. So, in light of the dud we got last week, i gave this one an excellent rating just because that's how i felt after watching it.

I suffered with Boomer and Tyrol, then i suffered with the Agathons. I smiled with Starbuck, and cheered when she played that song with her imaginary father. And that's all i ask from BSG. Nothing else. And so far, the writers deliver. Remember : it's the journey not the goal...
Time...
Old March 1 2009, 03:45 PM   #162
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
For those who didn't like this episode, I'm just curious as to whether you preferred No Exit.
Yes I thought "No Exit" was excellent and probably the best episode all season and yes it received that high praise from me because it provided such an intriguing, coherent narrative that really added to the BSG mythology tying together pieces in such an elegant way. Does that mean though that just because it was heavy on revelations that I have to have revelations to enjoy an episode? No.
I enjoyed the revelations in No Exit too, I think they resolved a lot of the mysteries very well. However, there is that old adage in TV that you must show and not tell, and that is a rule that this episode followed and No Exit did not.

I'm not just talking about the revelations that Anders dumped on us, I'm talking about certain character motivations. At one point in the episode when Anders is under anaesthetic, Kara is talking to him and reveals to him the fact that she was being greedy by wanting to know if she was the seventh Cylon. Well duh. There was absolutely no reason to explain that to the audience because we had already figured it out. StWOM did not do that, it accepted that the audience was smart enough to figure it out on our own and they didn't feel the need to confirm it to the audience. It is nice to have a TV show which is treating me like an intelligent human-being rather than taking my hand and walking me through the story as though I were a child.

And to those who say that this episode didn't have any revelations; it did have revelations, it just chose to show them to us rather than outright explain everything to us. I am extremely happy with that decision.
Old March 1 2009, 05:52 PM   #163
Seven of Five
Commodore

A nice little slow-burner, so Above Average.

At the start with all of the wonderful music I was already thinking it was better than last week. It was excellent, all the way through the episode.

Well, they really had me going, setting up Kara with that guy, making me think she was going to start moving on with her life. Then of course we notice that they weren't showing Kara's Dad's face when she was flashing back to childhood, so I knew something was afoot. But not when they started rocking out to Watchtower together! And Tigh's face was an absolute picture! Michael Hogan is full of win even in small appearances.

Boomer had me going too. There I was with all my season one/two Boomer-baggage, hoping for what they were spoon-feeding us - a Boomer/Tyrol reunion. Tyrol puts a plan in motion to help Boomer escape, but then suddenly Helo is interrupting her. And she will do *anything* to get her and Hera off the ship. There is no coming back for her, really. I felt so bad for the Agathons, they have such hard luck. But good to see that Roslin can still call it when she needs to. Her sensing of Hera's trouble was very disturbing...

And so with the amazing last third of the episode, we find out that Kara was imagining her Dad - Head-Papa-Starbuck? He wrote Watchtower, and Hera knows sheet music! I mean, she knows the song. And Kara knows the song. But only the cylons otherwise know the song. Some big implications going on there? Is Daniel to be revealed as Starbuck's Dad? It would fit with a bow very nicely.

Boomer jumping away and damaging Galactica as she did can *not* be a good thing.
Old March 1 2009, 06:17 PM   #164
cultcross
Say my name...

^ I'm beginning to think we're gonna see Galactica's death before the final episode. I hope we're not, I'd like the old gal to go down fighting in the finale, but based on this week and the preview for next, it doesn't look like she's got much in her anymore.

I also think the ship itself might prove to be the 'dying leader' which takes them to the promised land, perhaps in one last jump. Bit of a stretch to fit the old Pythia crap from Season 2/3, but it can't really just be ignored - it was a major part of the show's mythos for over two years.
Old March 1 2009, 06:57 PM   #165
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

You think Athena will be pissed that Helo nailed Boomer? Even if he didn't know?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.