Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 11:12 PM   #136
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Example: Babylon 4.

At the start of B5, it is said B4 vanished 24 hours before becoming operational. Then we see it reappear, learn that it's being taken through time, and at the end we know that two of the lead characters are involved. Now the audience is set up to expect that it's into the future. We resolved what happened to Babylon 4, but not why and how. So we have a piece resolved but now we have more questions. Then when we get the answers, it subverts what the audience expects -- B4 being taken into the far future.
It might work as an analogy if you ignore "Knives," which either (a) takes the thread about the space where Babylon 4 being weird and proceeds to hit all the same notes we've heard before or (b) sets up the aliens that possessed Sheridan as being important to the future of the storyline, which doesn't come to pass.

But, more importantly, I don't see how this episode is redundant. Starbuck playing the Watchtower theme, coming to terms with her father, and beginning to come to terms with finding her body are all important notes to the story and/or her character. It was a nice counterpoint to "Maelstrom," I thought. But I liked the episode, and YMMV. And who knows about the finale. Could be the greatest episode of television ever made, could be the worst. It probably will fall in the middle. We'll know in three weeks.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 28 2009, 11:19 PM   #137
aloha62
Lieutenant

Another episode that was boring as hell, the pace for the past couple has just been dire. Its sad to see what was the best tv show dying such a dull death.
Old February 28 2009, 11:35 PM   #138
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
But, more importantly, I don't see how this episode is redundant. Starbuck playing the Watchtower theme
A nice eerie moment for sure but it comprised a few seconds of a 40 minute episode.
coming to terms with her father
There was some closure on that front to be sure but even knowing in hindsight that she had been interacting with her father all along really wasn't that compelling. I mean as far as "daddy issues" drama this one was rather lightweight given how I didn't find it the least bit probing. It basically amounted to the fact that he left her when she was young with an abusive mother and the two trying to compose a forgotten song. How many times have we've seen that cliche. Simply placing two characters or one character and an hallucination/vision/spectre/Head!entity doesn't create effective character drama.

Granted I haven't been compelled to pull out BSG DVDs in a while but IIRC I don't believe he was much of a focus beyond some discussion with Helo back on Caprica in season two which certainly didn't help. The one I remember being mentioned over several episodes was her mother.
and beginning to come to terms with finding her body are all important notes to the story and/or her character.
I didn't get the strong impression that she was coming to terms with finding her body. If anything it was coming to terms with her dad and to some degree her feeling adrift which I didn't find to be all that effective.
Old February 28 2009, 11:52 PM   #139
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Kchunda wrote: View Post
Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Well, Cogley, it's just a theory, but I'm actually working with a dj in CA right now on a project, and as we were talking tonight, it suddenly occurred to me that music has a frequency, as does light. Music is also mathematical. Music is also connected to astronomy via Pythagoras.

Now, according Pythagoras, each of the seven planets produced by its orbit a particular note according to its distance from the center which was the Earth. Pythagorians also discussed music as the harmony that binds the universe. The point here that its possible that the real, ultimate significance of that set of notes is that it can be made into an astronomical map.

Hera said she was drawing the stars. Starbuck remembered a set of notes in the song. So, if you could do something like figure out the harmonic identities of the notes and plot them astronomically, that could be either a map of the system containing a habitable planet ("Earth 2" for lack of a better term) or a map of stars, similar to the map of the constellations we saw way back in Season 2 ok Kobol, which leads to such a world. And we know that's what they're looking for. At the moment, they're lost. They need a map. If anybody could figure it out in the context of the story, it would be Baltar.

Now the Cylons have Hera. The Fleet has Starbuck. Both are hybrids. Hybrids navigate for the Cylons. So now, both parties may well have a map to the same place, a habitable planet.
I love where you are going - so I did a little googling to try and verify something I thought I remembered which was along your lines. . .

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Faith#Act_1

"The Raptor carefully searches for the baseship amidst the exploding ordnance. Thrace can hear "music" (Leoben confirms this is a rare trait among some Cylons as well) and takes control to fly the Raptor towards the gas giant. She sees the comet she expected, but not in the form; Leoben's stricken baseship is flying past, trailing gas that gives it a comet-like appearance."

http://www.411mania.com/movies/dvd_r...pisode-69-.htm

"Parts of the destroyed Cylon fleet are exploding all around the Raptor. Starbuck can hear the music again. Leoben says that the unstuck music resonates in all of us, Kara is one of the few who can hear it. Anders looks beyond confused."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993928/synopsis

"The Raptor jumps to the base ship coordinates...and it's littered with the remains of Cylon fighters and war ships. It looks like they weren't lying about a civil war, Athena says. Starbuck says she hears music, and Leoben explains that a certain harmony vibrates all around us. Few can hear it, he says, and Starbuck's one of them."

Starbuck heard the music when she was a kid, which caused her to doodle the Eye of Jupiter and play out the music (that Anders could also hear at one point thousands of years ago) on piano. . . so what does this mean!?!?!?
That's really good. I'd also add that synesthesia is a physiological condition in which the listener can see notes of music they hear as specific colors. Hera was coloring the stars, and the stars were the notes Kara and the Four "heard." I wonder if we have a screenie anywhere for her picture yet? I'd be interested in knowing the colors of the notes/stars in her picture. At a guess, perhaps if Earth is the center (eg. the point of origin from which to read the map), then, using Earth as the point of origin, the picture as stars forms a map. The map is reducible to music, which is reducible to colors, which indicate the types of stars. The star the corresponds to the right shade of yellow might well be the star with the habitable world.
Old February 28 2009, 11:58 PM   #140
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
Example: Babylon 4.

At the start of B5, it is said B4 vanished 24 hours before becoming operational. Then we see it reappear, learn that it's being taken through time, and at the end we know that two of the lead characters are involved. Now the audience is set up to expect that it's into the future. We resolved what happened to Babylon 4, but not why and how. So we have a piece resolved but now we have more questions. Then when we get the answers, it subverts what the audience expects -- B4 being taken into the far future.
It might work as an analogy if you ignore "Knives," which either (a) takes the thread about the space where Babylon 4 being weird and proceeds to hit all the same notes we've heard before or (b) sets up the aliens that possessed Sheridan as being important to the future of the storyline, which doesn't come to pass.
I had forgotten that episode; well, at least, that particular B-plot involving Sector 14. But I think that the episode's B-plot with the alien can be factored in as it is a self-contained story in terms of Sector 14, B4, and the spatial rift, and views as such. The alien is from Sector 14, wants to go home, and does so by the end of the episode.
Old March 1 2009, 12:00 AM   #141
James Bond
Rear Admiral

steveman wrote: View Post
We've been receiving hints and clues about all those major plot threads we want resolved since the series began. Why there's suddenly a great desire to see the show just dump everything on us astounds me. Are we really that stupid? There's no need for the show to change its M.O. simply because it's coming to an end. We will get the answers we want. But we will get them in a distinctly elegant, nuanced way.

Which is, you know, how BSG has always operated.
You're absolutely correct, but what people are complaining about (myself included to a degree) is the fact that we're running out of time to get proper resolution of these points. We're desperately hoping things aren't rushed because that would bring the overall impact of those resolutions, and perhaps the legacy of the show, down to a mediocre level - something that is pretty much unacceptable at this point.
Old March 1 2009, 12:20 AM   #142
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Has Lee only had one scene in each of the last three episodes?
He was on the bus with Tamoh, shooting another show.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 1 2009, 12:30 AM   #143
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

James Bond wrote: View Post
We've been receiving hints and clues about all those major plot threads we want resolved since the series began. Why there's suddenly a great desire to see the show just dump everything on us astounds me. Are we really that stupid? There's no need for the show to change its M.O. simply because it's coming to an end. We will get the answers we want. But we will get them in a distinctly elegant, nuanced way.

You're absolutely correct, but what people are complaining about (myself included to a degree) is the fact that we're running out of time to get proper resolution of these points. We're desperately hoping things aren't rushed because that would bring the overall impact of those resolutions, and perhaps the legacy of the show, down to a mediocre level - something that is pretty much unacceptable at this point.
Bingo. If this was the 4th season and they were planning a 5th season then I wouldn't care about filler as much, however we are getting to the end, not the beginning of the end, but the end of the end of the end! Move to the point!
Old March 1 2009, 01:23 AM   #144
Rii
Rear Admiral

Average.

I loved the opening reveille/"going through the motions" scene, also the scenes with Starbuck and her father at the piano, nearly cheered at the reveal of All Along The Watchtower. Outside Starbuck's thread the episode largely fell flat, although I was moved for Athena as she was forced to watch Helo with Boomer.

For my own edification, my S4.5 ratings to date:

Sometimes a Great Notion - Above Average
A Disquiet Follows My Soul - Above Average
The Oath - Excellent
Blood on the Scales - Above Average
No Exit - Average
Deadlock - Below Average
Someone to Watch Over Me - Average
Old March 1 2009, 01:25 AM   #145
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think I've rated them all as at least "above average" - which begs the question of how "average" is defined, I know - except for this one and the one where Anders does the expository dump.
Old March 1 2009, 01:35 AM   #146
Paul
Lieutenant Commander

I see some people find this episode redundant or too much filler, what with there being only four hours left in the series. I personally believe that all this is building towards a natural and logical conclusion in the series finale. Only it's not as neat, proper or tied-up a conclusion as we'd hope or expect. Some questions will be left unanswered and not everyone will get a happy ending. Maybe we can reevaluate this ep when it's all over.
Old March 1 2009, 01:40 AM   #147
MPH
Rear Admiral

I have a funny feeling that we are never really going to find out what Kara actually is.
Old March 1 2009, 01:59 AM   #148
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Average, aside from the ending this episode and the one before seem like such a waste, I had hoped we'd be getting edge of your seat stuff like the mutiny arc not filler.
Old March 1 2009, 02:05 AM   #149
Rii
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I think I've rated them all as at least "above average" - which begs the question of how "average" is defined, I know - except for this one and the one where Anders does the expository dump.
For my part I know I tend to work off a bell curve that's internal to the series, and my ratings correspond closer to a traditional five star system with four stars being excellent and five being phenomenal than the system here. The average BSG episode is obviously strong enough that I'm willing to tune in from week to week, so I don't consider that rating to be a mark of shame.
Old March 1 2009, 03:55 AM   #150
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

James Bond wrote: View Post

You're also simultaneously arguing in favour of rushing things by saying a character rich steady paced episode like this cannot happen right now.

Wait till it's all done then judge.