New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 05:06 AM   #31
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Excellent.

I'm left with a lot of burning questions, though. Was Starbuck's piano player another "virtual?" Did Hera and Boomer die when their Raptor jumped (assuming Hera WAS aboard the Raptor)? It wasn't clear to me if she jumped away and the shockwave damaged Galactica, or if she was destroyed when she tried to jump with a damaged engine and that destroyed Galactica. Oh, and where is all this stuff with Starbuck going?
They said that if she jumped inside the Galactica or too close to it that it would do massive damage to the ship.
Old February 28 2009, 05:06 AM   #32
Agent Richard07
Retired

The bulk of the episode was pretty weak, but the last five minutes were somewhat intriguing even if not much was revealed. Unfortunately, the two don't even out so I'm gonna go with 'below average'.

- I never suspected that the piano player was Kara's father until just moments before it was revealed.

- Poor chief. What has he done and what will come of this? I'm more concerned with what will happen to him than I am with whatever Cavil wants with Hera.

- That bit about the last tube of toothpaste in the universe was funny.
Old February 28 2009, 05:07 AM   #33
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Above Average, almost excellent. Loved the way the big reveal was All Along the Watchtower. I guess "God" or "Daniel" may be Starbuck's father. Hera's not the future of the human race; Starbuck is the future. She's the first hybrid. I totally didn't expect Boomer to kidnap Hera at first, but then it turned out girlfriend was trying to get Hera for Cavil...Boomer: still a bitch. Good riddance; and now Tyrol has made the biggest frakup he's ever made.
Old February 28 2009, 05:07 AM   #34
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It was piss ass fucking bullshit poor.

I love the previews that Sci-fi does "....was just the beginning!!!". No, the show is fucking over in 3 weeks it's the fucking end! GET TO THE FUCKING POINT!!!!

Are the Final Five good for anything? Nope.
Do we know anything about Starbuck? Nope.
Boomer is still useless? Yep.
Ship still dieing? Yep.

Where is John and the other Cylons? How is Baltar's cult going to play into the show?

I normally wouldn't care but there are only 4 fucking "hours" left and it's time to get their ass moving!!!
Are you even watching the same show we are?

I disagree with your judgement.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 28 2009, 05:07 AM   #35
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Boring for 55 minutes then the story started with 5 minutes left. This would have been a great story if there wasnt only 3 eps left in the series. As it is we wasted what could have been 55 good minutes of story potential.
Old February 28 2009, 05:07 AM   #36
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Verteron wrote: View Post
Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Boomer has barely even been in the series since "Rapture", while Starbuck got the entire Demetrius storyline pretty much to herself. She doesn't lack airtime.
Yeah, but I'm not sure Boomer really deserves an entire episode. I mean, it's not like she's critical to the story...
Clearly, the producers agree with you. I can't fathom why such an interesting character - a Cylon who thought she was a human, and was basically forced by other Cylons into an evil zombie mode into which she was murderous - has never been deserving of a decent storyline, once Athena took her place on board. Boomer should have had deep issues with the other Cylons and an entirely different worldview, but this was shown only in "Downloaded" and the character was dropped after that. Instead, the BSG producers apparently prefer manufactured drame like the Sam-Kara-Lee-Dee quadrangle of doom, or the Ellen-Caprica-Tigh shit from last week. They could have a really dramatic figure in a Cylon who loathes what the others did and is hated by the humans for all the wrong reasons, but it just didn't interest the producers. A pity.
Boomer always got the short end of the stick. She changed personalities whenever it was convient for the story.

I gave this episode an Above Average. Good beginning, a shaky middle, and an awesome end.

The Starbuck storyline led to an obvious answer. I just hope it actually leads to something. I also hope Adama does something more in these next few episodes than drink and cry. The man has shown great fondness is being a drama queen lately.

My problem's with Boomer aside, it was cool to see the story focus on her and what she and Cavil managed to pull off was impressive indeed. Aaron Douglas was top-notch here and the scene where he goes back into his "house" accompanied by the piano music was great.

That look on Tigh's face when the music was playing was pretty damn funny. Even in his limited time, Michael Hogan is awesome.
Old February 28 2009, 05:07 AM   #37
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Excellent.

I'm left with a lot of burning questions, though. Was Starbuck's piano player another "virtual?" Did Hera and Boomer die when their Raptor jumped (assuming Hera WAS aboard the Raptor)? It wasn't clear to me if she jumped away and the shockwave damaged Galactica, or if she was destroyed when she tried to jump with a damaged engine and that destroyed Galactica. Oh, and where is all this stuff with Starbuck going?
The Raptor was damaged but not destroyed. In fact, I think she had to jump to avoid colliding with Galactica, which is why it tore out a big piece of the hull.

I guess it's now been canonically demonstrated that the FTL drive folds space.
Old February 28 2009, 05:09 AM   #38
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Boring for 55 minutes then the story started with 5 minutes left. This would have been a great story if there wasnt only 3 eps left in the series. As it is we wasted what could have been 55 good minutes of story potential.
Yep. The episode would have been an average build up episode, however we have long overdone the build up, now get with it.

Plus last week's episode was also useless, they could have combined the episodes together and saved an episode for something better. If the finale is a rushed mess to try to explain everything I will be seriously pissed off.
Old February 28 2009, 05:11 AM   #39
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Above Average overall. The episode seemed to take awhile to get going, but once it "got its footing" it really took off. Seems pretty clear that Starbuck is indeed the daughter of Daniel. Her interplay with the Composer/Head Daniel (maybe) was very cool. I love the role that music plays in all this, how it acts as a catalyst for so many things. Kara's realization of what Hera gave her was just a great moment.

And Boomer...she's just frakkin' evil!

Again, almost as many questions raised as answered, but another riveting episode. Major bonus points for "Felgercarb Toothpaste" and the nod to Stu Phillips' TOS score in the piano scenes.
Old February 28 2009, 05:12 AM   #40
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Parts were excellent/parts were above average.

I guessed the piano player was in Starbuck's head when no one else interacted with him. It probably obvious from the get go, though.

Boomer is diabolical, not as much as Biz Markie, but up there. It's almost a wonder she didn't kill Athena.

Anyway, Roslin was right.

The felgercarb toothpaste and opening notes of the 70's BSG precredits sequence were inspired. (Wonder if there's more to that...as that opening narration was done by Patrick McNee who played Iblis.)

Retracted the pods! OMG! That's like a saucer-seperating moment...so rare.
Old February 28 2009, 05:13 AM   #41
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Average.

I said before the show that if the whole Starbuck thing isn't pretty much revealed tonight, this show was getting an average, and I'm sticking to it. There really wasn't much revealed with Starbuck tonight and what it is is purely still speculation. It hasn't been revealed on the show yet and with 3 episodes left, that's damn frustrating. I was really intregued with All Along the Watchtower but that was the only thing this episode had. A lot of it felt like Been there, Done that and it was just really slow. As for the Piano guy, I didn't get the sense he was a head vision of Buck's father, but coming here it does kind of make sense. I think I need to rewatch the final ten minutes to be sure. Still, slow moving and it feels like we're crawling to the finale rather than going at it full bore.
Old February 28 2009, 05:15 AM   #42
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Parts were excellent/parts were above average.

I guessed the piano player was in Starbuck's head when no one else interacted with him. It probably obvious from the get go, though.

Boomer is diabolical, not as much as Biz Markie, but up there. It's almost a wonder she didn't kill Athena.

Anyway, Roslin was right.

The felgercarb toothpaste and opening notes of the 70's BSG precredits sequence were inspired. (Wonder if there's more to that...as that opening narration was done by Patrick McNee who played Iblis.)

Retracted the pods! OMG! That's like a saucer-seperating moment...so rare.
Pretty close to my feelings on this.

Sharr
Old February 28 2009, 05:15 AM   #43
Agent Richard07
Retired

Why doesn't whoever rebuilt Starbuck's viper give them a new Galactica?

Just a thought.
Old February 28 2009, 05:15 AM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

...whatever. Thought it was excellent, and far better than last week. I thought the teaser montage captured how monotonous and hard life on Galactica has become. They might still be making booze, but there it is, the last tube of (Felgrcarb... ) toothpaste.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 28 2009, 05:17 AM   #45
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Why doesn't whoever rebuilt Starbuck's viper give them a new Galactica?

Just a thought.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't laugh.... you might be onto something.....