MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 27 2009, 04:23 PM   #16
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Operation – Annihilate: Operation – Stay Awake

Tan Ru wrote: View Post
Steve67 wrote: View Post
Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!

YES! IS is a sleeper as well. Glad I am not alone on that one as well...
TOTAL sleeper. Maybe worst episode of TOS for that fact. No coolness like space hippies or Spock's hair being good after a brain operation. Just DULL. Woof.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 09:40 PM   #17
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post
Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!

TOTAL sleeper. Maybe worst episode of TOS for that fact. No coolness like space hippies or Spock's hair being good after a brain operation. Just DULL. Woof.
Wait a minute...doesn't sleeper mean that you didn't even notice it and then it became a big hit? So then you liked this episode...yayyyyyy meeeeee tooooo! I mean how can you resist flying puke anyway??
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 10:06 PM   #18
plynch
Commodore

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post

Wait a minute...doesn't sleeper mean that you didn't even notice it and then it became a big hit? So then you liked this episode...yayyyyyy meeeeee tooooo! I mean how can you resist flying puke anyway??
Correction then: "snoozer." And not "Annihilate," (ok) but "Immunity": Zzz.
Old February 27 2009, 10:21 PM   #19
Grant
Fleet Captain

Terribly written episode.

It's taken the creatures two hundred years to travel from from four systems and the pattern is well established? Nothing's been done. no one noticed the pancake creatures at any previous site? What is it the parasites want? All the brilliant scientists onboard can't figure the possible effects of UV and other spectrums of light might have on the creatures?
Wouldn't intense UV rays also have bad effects on the colonists as well?

They were, at first, going to throw intense white light at all the citizens of the colony and that would reach even people deep in a basement?
I'm not a scientist but can white light penetrate concrete?

The creature on board is drawing strength from the whole, but they can't burn it or radiate it to death because it draws from the whole entity, but then they hit the one creature with the light and it dies? Does that mean the white light caused it to be unable to draw strength or was that single white light more powerful that the entity?

The white light was going to penetrate to even people underground but it couldn't penetrate spock's extra eyelid? What is that eyelid made of?

Spock's blind--oops no he's not!

It's the bottom five of first season episodes, but for some reason episodes with location shooting always seem cooler.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 11:52 PM   #20
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
I though that was what it meant too (and I'm not even American).

I love the episode, brilliant how flying puke is one of the most threatening adversaries for the crew.
Old March 1 2009, 07:34 AM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out."
If you mean the location used for the episode, that's Space Park, in Redondo Beach, California. At that time, it was the headquarters for aerospace-tech company TRW Systems (now owned by Northrop-Grumman.) You can spot some of the places seen in the episode in the pictures on this page, including one of filming in progress.
Thanks for the Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo point of view!
I love Google maps.

Neopeius wrote: View Post
If you mean the location used for the episode, that's Space Park, in Redondo Beach, California. At that time, it was the headquarters for aerospace-tech company TRW Systems (now owned by Northrop-Grumman.)
As a historian, I've gone to the archives in the base of the big building at Space Park. There's a spot in that episode where Kirk and Co. go under a bridge toward the cafeteria where I've had lunch several times. It was really, really cool to walk down there.. and imagine hundreds of pancake monsters waiting for me
My father worked for TRW (and the company's previous incarnation, STL) and we went with him to a dog and pony show at Space Park about a year after the episode was filmed. I don't think I could tell you which buildings I was in (looked in the darker corners, just to be sure) but we spent an afternoon walking all over the area seen in the exterior shots.
Old March 1 2009, 06:56 PM   #22
Neopeius
Admiral

My father worked for TRW (and the company's previous incarnation, STL)
I would very much like to know more as I've become STL's unofficial historian. Who was your father and what did he do? When did he work?

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 04:47 AM   #23
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Neopeius wrote: View Post
My father worked for TRW (and the company's previous incarnation, STL)
I would very much like to know more as I've become STL's unofficial historian. Who was your father and what did he do? When did he work?
Check your inbox.
Old March 2 2009, 05:23 AM   #24
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

I love McCoy's reaction when he believes he has blinded Spock. So well done! Then Kirk speaking to him from the bridge..."Bones.."

Powerful stuff.
Old March 2 2009, 04:12 PM   #25
M
Vice Admiral

I rewatched the episode last night (because of this thread) and was positively surprised how much I liked it. I hadn't remembered it that well. I have to disagree with Shatmandu: Making Kirk's brother and his family the victims of the Flying Vomit made the story much more compelling to me. Yeah, the motivation for him to save those people would have been there anyway, but the fact that it's about his brother makes it personal for him. He's getting emotional and loses his professionalism. It's interesting when McCoy notices that and has to remind him of the people down on the planet.

I also liked the moment right after Kirk finds his dead brother. Shatner is good in portraying how Kirk is overstrained by the situation. Then Spock enters the room and expresses his sympathy without many words. I really liked that.

The end though, I have to agree, is a bit cheap. At least it felt that way to me. I don't know how believable it is for the Vulcans to forget about their inner eyelid. I know I groaned.

But overall a good episode. First and foremost because of scenes like the one mentioned by destro.
Garak:Especially the lies.ซ
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 12:19 AM   #26
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I also liked the moment right after Kirk finds his dead brother. Shatner is good in portraying how Kirk is overstrained by the situation. Then Spock enters the room and expresses his sympathy without many words. I really liked that.
Agreed. And, I've always found Shatner's acting after his sister-in-law dies particularly moving. At first, he's visibly stunned, and can barely bring himself to ask Bones about his nephew. Then, in the very next scene, when he beams back down to the planet, his body language illustrates a devastated and grieving man who nevertheless has to maintain his role as commander of hundreds of people.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 11:03 PM   #27
Markas
Captain

It is not one of my favorite episodes and there are a few things that I didn't like that have already been pointed out here (flying pancakes of doom, Spock's spectacular eyelids), but I thought that overall, the story was compelling.

I agree that having Kirk's family involved was a good touch. Losing his brother then his sister-in-law was obviously wrenching yet he didn't have much time to grieve because he had a world to save. Then, a first officer to save.

Overall, not a snoozefest. Immunity Syndrome gets that award.
Old March 20 2009, 10:45 PM   #28
plynch
Commodore

Heinlein's Puppetmasters: I just read it, and the "slugs" bear very strong resemblance to the flying snot pancakes of OpAnnihilate. Anyone else notice that or have thoughts?
Old March 21 2009, 09:35 PM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

It's not my favorite, but I also don't think it's bad as some say it is. I think a major issue is the pacing.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 11:21 PM   #30
AxelFoley
Commander

I think it's a great episode, if you find this excessively talky & lacking action, good luck watching some TNG episodes.