A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 27 2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Iowagirl
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Mark Lenard & Trek Fandom

I love Lenard as Sarek. For me, he'll always be the ultimate Vulcan (along with Spock, of course, but Spock is a class of his own). When Sarek deboards his shuttle in "Journey to Babel" it's as if Vulcan itself arrives. Ya know what I mean?

OTOH, I've always admired his subtle performance when he urges Kirk to recover his son's Katra in STIII. The way he fights back his "emotions" with effort, and his almost reluctant, yet sincere respect for Kirk when he returns Spock to Vulcan

Oh, and fine interaction between Lenard and Shatner.

Fascinating!
Iowagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
Here's an illuminating interview on Mr. Lenard:

http://myeloma.org/main.jsp?tab_id=1...article&id=410
I had no idea he died of multiple myeloma. Thanks for posting the interview.
Old February 27 2009, 11:35 AM   #18
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Yeah, Shatner's scenes with Lenard were always quality. The OTT Shatner and the reserved Lenard worked well together counterpointing each other.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 02:04 PM   #19
Jeyl
Commodore

Mark Lenard was a true talent and really solidified the role as Sarek. He made it is even after playing the part of the Romulan Commander in Ballance of Terror.

But let's not forget his wonderful portrayal of the doomed Klingon Captain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It took me years, YEARS to finally discover that was actually Mark Lenard playing the part! He looked so perfect as a Klingon that even now I still can't recognize him.

I'd give anything to see his make-up process or any behind the scenes photos of him as the Klingon Captain.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Tan Ru
Captain

Lenard and Nimoy more or less "created" Vulcans in TOS and even onto the spin-offs & films. What's not to love and appreciate about Lenard? He is sorely missed.
Old February 27 2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Jeri
Vice Admiral

^ ^ You are so right; what would Vulcans be without them? I don't want to contemplate.

That article was very good; thanks for the link.
Old February 27 2009, 03:34 PM   #22
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I saw him at a con back in the 80s, but the details (year, location) escape me. Anyway, he didn't seem distant or reserved at all. He was very friendly, open, and appreciative of the fans.
Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Lenard had a devoted and rather organized following (mostly female, natch) within Trek fandom. He kept in pretty close communication with at least some of them; a friend of mine was part of a group that attended the premiere of Star Trek V with him.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 04:07 PM   #24
Jeri
Vice Admiral

So...NOT like the autograph scene in "Galaxy Quest..."

Very nice autographed picture! Thanks.

WendellM wrote: View Post
My impression at Dixie Trek in the '80s in Atlanta was that he was a gracious and informative guest who gave an interesting presentation. It's true that he wasn't ingratiating or fawning, but I'd say "dignified" rather than "icy." A classy man. He was polite and - I'd even venture - friendly at his autograph signing afterward:

Old February 27 2009, 04:27 PM   #25
Steve67
Commander

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I saw him at a con back in the 80s, but the details (year, location) escape me. Anyway, he didn't seem distant or reserved at all. He was very friendly, open, and appreciative of the fans.
Doug
I apologize for the use of the word "icy." I guess that I was just completely taken in by the man's brilliant characterization.

BTW, I love that charming, affectionate gesture he makes with Amanda after he and Spock tease her about her emotionalism in "Journey to Babel." It served as a great punchline or wink for that final scene in the sickbay. I read that Lenard came up with that himself, therefore adding something to the Vulan culture.

Mark Lenard was a heck of an actor and his intelligence always came across on screen.
Old February 27 2009, 06:19 PM   #26
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Wow, I stand corrected... from all of the information I had seen previously about Star Trek conventions, I hadn't noticed Lenard on the roster. Clearly, I must have overlooked it.

Anyway, I'm so very sorry to hear that he died of multiple myeloma. What a horrible suffering he went through... and a chilling forecast, from his last appearance on TNG.

I had no idea he was a regular on the Planet of the Apes series. But now that I think about it, I have vague memories of voices where one of them sounded like him. Certainly I remember him doing the SAAB commercial voiceovers. "SAAB, the most intelligent car ever built."

He has been and always be the quintessential representation of a Vulcan...
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 06:20 PM   #27
ClayinCA
Commodore

He was indeed an extremely dignified person, and very pleasant to his fans. I was fortunate enough to see him at least three times at conventions, and have heard of him going to more, so he was by no means a recluse.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 06:31 PM   #28
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Did anybody else see the animated Star Trek episode he was on ("Yesteryear")? It was nice to see him reprising the role of Sarek in animated form. I figure his willingness to do that showed how much he enjoyed playing the character. Here's the proof: http://www.treksinscifi.com/trekdail...Yesteryear.jpg
I think he and the actor who played Cyrano Jones in "The Trouble with Tribbles" were the only ones to play the same character in "Star Trek" and the animated adventures.

Also, in case all of you Mark Lenard fans and action figure collectors didn't know, an Art Asylum/Diamond Select action figure of him as the Romulan Commander from "Balance of Terror" is due this summer (circa August). Here's a picture: http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?...serialNumber=1
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 06:46 PM   #29
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I don't recall ever hearing about him having attended a convention, so I suspect he didn't express much interest.
He did a convention in San Antonio prior to the release of ST:V when George Takei had to pull out. He was rather personable and had many stories to tell about ST, Planet of the Apes, and his other genre work. One that stands out in my head was after shooting his appearance as Sarek on TOS, he ran into the lady who played Amanda, and freaked her out by walking up to her (out of make up) and saying, "I'm your husband."
Old February 28 2009, 12:40 AM   #30
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote