RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 577
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What should the next Superman movie be?
A direct sequel to Superman Returns 17 25.00%
Not a direct sequel but Brandon Routh should get another shot 23 33.82%
Total reboot! 29 42.65%
Tom Welling & co. in a big screen follow-up to Smallville 8 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26 2009, 10:16 PM   #16
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Re: What should the next Superman movie be?

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
"Not a direct sequel but Brandon Routh should get another shot"

I don't see how this even makes sense. I mean, it kind of has to be a direct sequel in this case. If you have the same actor brought back...playing the title role...you can't just ignore what happened in the previous movie and you can't contradict it. That would just confuse audiences all to hell and they would have a right to be. For instance, you can't get rid of the kid; he was practically the main plot point of Returns.
To quote Mr. Bale again: What don't you F-ing understand? LOL!! That never gets old...:-)

It's Hollywood. Anything can happen.

The kid, frankly, sucked...it's a dead-end plot device. The only option for his character is death. Or death of Superman and the kid replaces him (which would be...stupid). Superman shouldn't have a sidekick...which is another lame way to utilize the character.

Get rid of the kid.

Kate Bosworth was boring and had NO (zip. zero. NADA!) chemistry with Routh...NOR did she possess any of the spunk and fun of Margot Kidder.

Additionally, she bore very little resemblence to the Lois Lane that was PREDOMINANTLY (not the weird little aberations -- like the Lois that married Clark Kent) was depicted in the Superman comics. And yes! I do believe the films should bear more than just a passing tie to the comics.

Otherwise, one might as well invent his own damned superhero and call him something else!

Why is this so difficult or understand or offensive to those who happen to have a different view of how the next film should unfold?
It's not offensive, but is difficult to understand. For good reason.

I could see your point (somewhat) if Brandon Routh was a hollywood superstar, but he isn't. And let's face it...it's not like general audiences have fallen "in love" with Routh's portrayal of the character. I thought he was adequate and I don't think he was a drag on the movie. But he was definitely no Christopher Reeve.

So why go the needlessly complicated and risky route of basically rebooting just about everything except the actor when you can easily reboot everything including the actor...an actor who has not established himself as essential to the role?
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2009, 10:39 PM   #17
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Reboot.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Thrall
Commodore

I don't care as long as they ditch the Dr. Evil Lex and bring in Donald Trump Lex.
Old February 26 2009, 10:48 PM   #19
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I could see your point (somewhat) if Brandon Routh was a hollywood superstar, but he isn't. And let's face it...it's not like general audiences have fallen "in love" with Routh's portrayal of the character. I thought he was adequate and I don't think he was a drag on the movie. But he was definitely no Christopher Reeve.
Who is? Look, I just don't think Routh got a fair shot with that storyline/script. So, yeah...I think he deserves another chance. Did you read my post (perhaps in another thread) with my receipe for the sequel?

It spells out my vision for the next film were I to serve as producer.

So why go the needlessly complicated and risky route of basically rebooting just about everything except the actor when you can easily reboot everything including the actor...an actor who has not established himself as essential to the role?
I've never suggested rebooting the whole film except the lead actor. When/if you read my "recipe" post you'll see that I am definitely not for rebooting much at all. One film wouldn't "establish" anyone in a role. To me, even Christian Bale wasn't "established" after Batman Begins. I think that, given the material, Routh did as well as any actor you could name.

I'm certainly not for the Nick Cage type of casting. Reeve wasn't a superstar when he was cast either. In fact, he was an unknown -- aside from his role on the soap "Love of Life".
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2009, 11:18 PM   #20
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I don't see how this even makes sense. I mean, it kind of has to be a direct sequel in this case. If you have the same actor brought back...playing the title role...you can't just ignore what happened in the previous movie and you can't contradict it. That would just confuse audiences all to hell and they would have a right to be. For instance, you can't get rid of the kid; he was practically the main plot point of Returns.
Exactly.

I voted total reboot.

1) Keep Parker Posey to play Lois, which should have been a given in the first place. Cast a more 'adult' actor to play Superman. Josh Brolin, for example.

2) Brainiac, Metallo or Doomsday as the villain, but not a villain-palooza.

3) If there's any Lex, use rich guy Lex.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 01:20 AM   #21
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best no matter what direction they go in, but at this point I think a total reboot would be best. The so called Routhboot option would muddy the waters in my opinion (although that's reportedly the direction Warners is leaning towards).

I'd like to see them step up development of some of other DC characters to follow on after Green Lantern, pushing a Superman relaunch back to about 2013. Then bring in a new cast in a Superman film that's much more sci-fi oriented. I'd like to see a long break from Lex Luthor, with Superman's other major villains taking center stage.

And I wouldn't want another beat by beat origin story. Just retell the origin in quick beats in a montage as the credits play and then jump ahead to a point where Superman is an established superhero.
Old February 27 2009, 01:35 AM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I'd just start from scratch, the first one would be an origin story. I know a lot of people say "well we had that!" but it was 31 years ago, let this generation have it's Superman!
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 02:05 AM   #23
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I'd just start from scratch, the first one would be an origin story. I know a lot of people say "well we had that!" but it was 31 years ago, let this generation have it's Superman!
Yeah, no shit. A whole generation of kids haven't experienced the Donner version like the rest of us geezers. I say go for it.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 03:07 AM   #24
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

I think audiences would get past their confusion in five minutes. The next director can keep Routh and still "sell" the film as a full or semi- reboot by making it visually different from SR.
Old February 27 2009, 04:11 AM   #25
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

All I can say is, if they do that reboot shit then there will be at least ONE ticket they won't sell.

That God-awful wretched Smallville and all the TV adaptations since the 1978 Superman film are plenty reason for me to not trust any "reboots".

Very few producers and directors seem to understand what makes Superman work.

If the next one is a reboot, I'll stay home and save my money.
Old February 27 2009, 04:23 AM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'm just glad so few people support Smallville going to the movies.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old February 27 2009, 04:39 AM   #27
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
I'm just glad so few people support Smallville going to the movies.

Yeah...who's the genius who said "Hey! Let's make a Superman TV series where Clark Kent never turns into Superman and never flies!"?

I mean, WTF??!

The only thing worse was Jon Peters' idea for SR that Kevin Smith talks about on his DVD!

Good Lord...where do these idiots come from?

Apparently, they've never picked up a copy of Action Comics, World's Finest or Superman and READ the damned thing...ARRRRGGGGHH!!!!

It drives me...insane.
Old February 27 2009, 04:59 AM   #28
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Reboot. Superman is a big guy in his late 30's who looks like Alex Ross painted him. He wears red, yellow and blue. There is no kid. There is no back and forth Lois stuff in this one. There is no wacky real estate Luthor in this one. There is no FUCKING ORIGIN STORY, period.

Superman fights someone like Brainiac, Darkseid or Doomsday. Someone big. He saves the world. He kicks ass. He does it the Superman way. He does not brood, he does not fret. He is a big, optimistic boy scout and HOPE IS COOL AGAIN.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 05:02 AM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
Reboot. Superman is a big guy in his late 30's who looks like Alex Ross painted him. He wears red, yellow and blue. There is no kid. There is no back and forth Lois stuff in this one. There is no wacky real estate Luthor in this one. There is no FUCKING ORIGIN STORY, period.

Superman fights someone like Brainiac, Darkseid or Doomsday. Someone big. He saves the world. He kicks ass. He does it the Superman way. He does not brood, he does not fret. He is a big, optimistic boy scout and HOPE IS COOL AGAIN.
Yes, I quite agree in principle. In application, I think the studio may feel differently.
Old February 27 2009, 05:29 AM   #30
Jetfire

After season 9 of Smallville...A Superman movie with all the Smallville cast that would work...Welling, Durance, Ashmore, Rosenbaum, Kreuk, O'Toole, Mack, Hartley, Vandervoort, Freeman, Witwer and I would include Stamp as Jor-El and Slater as Lara, Morris as J'onn J'onzz. I would include villains ofcourse Doomsday and Lex, also Metallo, Bizarro and Zod.

JF